Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:34
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 27, 2022

whitelighter wrote:

I multiplexed the vob files into an mkv file, but found when I opened Subtitle Edit that they were already in sync. I'm beginning to think there must be a software issue related to adding subtitles do an existing dvd. I've tried two different media players - VLC and KM player - as well as two different movies on 2 different dvds (adding subtitles that I created for both movies) but the timing was still off. If I moved the curser forward to a later spot in the movie, the subtitles have disappeared altogether. I try re-adding them and they are completely out of sync - by about 30 minutes. I'm wondering if it may just be difficult to add ones own subtitles to official dvd's. Or maybe it's because my subtitles are .ass files? Perhaps srt files would work better, though I prefer the .ass format

Hm. I doubt .ass is the culprit here, but it won't hurt to give .srt a try, just to see what happens.

People add their subs to official DVDs all the time; it's a complex but manageable process. You can find quite a few guides on this topic on the VideoHelp forums.

Incidentally, have you edited the IFO file to include the new subtitle information (your sub-picture stream)? Without doing that, you can get all kinds of errors.

whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
re: playing dvd with Subtitle Edit Jun 29, 2022

I tried it as an .srt file and the same issue came up. The odd thing is that at the beginning of the movie the subtitles are in sync, but the as the movie progresses they lag further and further behind. By the end of the movie they are completely off. I should've specified that I hadn't added my subtitles to the actual dvd. I just play the dvd on my computer using VLC player and add the subtitle file I created as an external file. I'll try following the steps on that link you gave me for adding ... See more
I tried it as an .srt file and the same issue came up. The odd thing is that at the beginning of the movie the subtitles are in sync, but the as the movie progresses they lag further and further behind. By the end of the movie they are completely off. I should've specified that I hadn't added my subtitles to the actual dvd. I just play the dvd on my computer using VLC player and add the subtitle file I created as an external file. I'll try following the steps on that link you gave me for adding them to the actual disc, though I'm a bit out of my league, since I'm sort of a novice with this.Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 29, 2022

whitelighter wrote:

The odd thing is that at the beginning of the movie the subtitles are in sync, but the as the movie progresses they lag further and further behind. By the end of the movie they are completely off.

Oh, a progressively increasing timecode mismatch always means a framerate error. You likely chose a wrong framerate in the settings. I actually published an article on this exact thing recently; I'm sure it'll help you to fix the issue: md-subs.com/timecode-issues-a-quick-guide

whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
re: playing dvd with Subtitle Edit Jun 30, 2022

Thanks for the link. I checked and it's the correct frame rate (29.97) and I tried switching to DF but the problem persists. I may just not have the software to fix this issue (I use Subtitle Edit). Oddly it works fine with the copy of the video that I ripped onto my hard drive, just not with the original dvd. I may just have to author a new dvd using the duplicate.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Max Deryagin

Ruoyi Yang
Ruoyi Yang
Australia
Subtitling Correction Jul 2, 2022

I found out that subtitles on prim video and Netflix are not accurate.

Max Deryagin

Alessandra Cavaiani
Alessandra Cavaiani  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:34
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
Dialogue Creation List Aug 5, 2022

Hello, I have recently been asked to do a dialogue creation list for a French movie. I have never done this before so what is an acceptable rate for this type of job and how should I quote my rate? Should it be a rate per video minute like a normal subtitling project? They also asked me to then translate the text into English so should I then quote on a per word basis for the translation or still per video minute?

Is dialogue creation more time consuming than normal subtitling with
... See more
Hello, I have recently been asked to do a dialogue creation list for a French movie. I have never done this before so what is an acceptable rate for this type of job and how should I quote my rate? Should it be a rate per video minute like a normal subtitling project? They also asked me to then translate the text into English so should I then quote on a per word basis for the translation or still per video minute?

Is dialogue creation more time consuming than normal subtitling with a software? Are there special software for dialogue creation or should it just be written on a Word doc.?

Thank you for your help.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 5, 2022

Alessandra Cavaiani wrote:

Is dialogue creation more time consuming than normal subtitling with a software? Are there special software for dialogue creation or should it just be written on a Word doc.?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Alessandra,

Creating dialogue lists is no easy task and is quite different from subtitling. It does take more time usually and can require various software tools, depending on what exactly is expected of you.

Since there's no Canadian organization that could answer these questions for you (at least that I know of), let me refer you to the French Association of Audiovisual Translators and Adapters: ataa.fr/contact. They should be able to help. Or you could contact the Audiovisual Division of the American Translators Association: ata-divisions.org/AVD/get-in-touch/.

Jitka Doležalová
Jitka Doležalová
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:34
English to Czech
+ ...
Frames per Second Nov 21, 2022

Hello,

I have to do a subtitle test for the agency.
Their requirement is to produce 25 frames per second. I have no idea what it means and how to take it.
I downloaded the Subtitle framerate charger. Should I create subtitles and then upload them to this software?

Thank you

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Nov 21, 2022

Ell123 wrote:

Hello,

I have to do a subtitle test for the agency.
Their requirement is to produce 25 frames per second. I have no idea what it means and how to take it.
I downloaded the Subtitle framerate charger. Should I create subtitles and then upload them to this software?

Thank you

Hi Ell,

I wrote an article a while ago specifically as an answer to framerate-related questions. Here it is: md-subs.com/timecode-issues-a-quick-guide.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:34
English to Russian
Subtitle Edit — new subtitles from scratch Nov 22, 2022

Ell123 wrote:
Should I create subtitles and then upload them to this software?
You can set it along with many other settings before you start your work. For example, in Subtitle Edit:

Max Deryagin

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Subtitle Edit — existing subtitles Nov 22, 2022

Ell123 wrote:
Should I create subtitles and then upload them to this software?
If you already have a subtitle file, you can change its frame rate. For example, in Subtitle Edit:

[Edited at 2022-11-22 01:10 GMT]

Max Deryagin

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Vosk/Kaldi speech recognition Nov 23, 2022

Hi Max and all
I was wondering if you or anyone else had some kind of success with the Audio-to-Text function in Subtitle Edit?
I am playing with some settings right now but spotting and speech recognition is mediocre at best and I feel like it's more time-consuming editing the result than doing the job manually.
Any input welcome!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Nov 23, 2022

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Hi Max and all
I was wondering if you or anyone else had some kind of success with the Audio-to-Text function in Subtitle Edit?
I am playing with some settings right now but spotting and speech recognition is mediocre at best and I feel like it's more time-consuming editing the result than doing the job manually.
Any input welcome!

Hi Gianni,

Yeah, Vosk and Kaldi aren't very good, but the new Whisper is supposed to be somewhat better. Have you tried it? Here's a comparison: Vosk/Kaldi versus Whisper

If it doesn't work well, I recommend using SyncWords. It's paid but it performs well for videos in English.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Thanks! Nov 24, 2022

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Gianni,

Yeah, Vosk and Kaldi aren't very good, but the new Whisper is supposed to be somewhat better. Have you tried it? Here's a comparison: Vosk/Kaldi versus Whisper

If it doesn't work well, I recommend using SyncWords. It's paid but it performs well for videos in English.

I will definitely take a look. Cheers!

Inna Ivanova
Inna Ivanova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2019)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Bulgarian glitch Dec 1, 2022

Dear Max,
I have a video file in Bulgarian. I want to find a program/website on which the subtitles can be automatically created in Bulgarian, which then ideally will be machine-translated in English.
Stepan told me of the program Subtitle Edit, but the audio to text of Whisper (ASR) doesn't work. I keep getting the error message - No text found. I tried all options for model - base, tiny, medium, large. Nothing worked. Vosk/Kaldi doesn't support Bulgarian.
I also went through
... See more
Dear Max,
I have a video file in Bulgarian. I want to find a program/website on which the subtitles can be automatically created in Bulgarian, which then ideally will be machine-translated in English.
Stepan told me of the program Subtitle Edit, but the audio to text of Whisper (ASR) doesn't work. I keep getting the error message - No text found. I tried all options for model - base, tiny, medium, large. Nothing worked. Vosk/Kaldi doesn't support Bulgarian.
I also went through a lot of other programs suggested by another Proz user, but they are all paid or do not have ASR, or do not support Bulgarian.
1. Could you let me know how to fix this error for Subtitle Edit?
2. Which FREE program/site can I use only to automatically create the subtitles in Bulgarian? Is there such a product?
3. If there isn't or you don't know of any such - which is the cheapest and most appropriate to use in my case?
Thank you very much in advance!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »