Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Report, track, and verify your continuing professional development using ProZ.com
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 18:40
SITE STAFF
Jun 14, 2023

CPD

Dear members,

It is now possible to report and track all of your continuing professional development (CPD) activity through your ProZ.com account. You can keep it as a register just for yourself, or display it as another way to differentiate yourself to potential clients and collaborators. Paying ProZ.com members also have the ability to add certificates of completion where relevant, and request verification of CPD items from ProZ.com staff.

To get started, go to your ProZ.com profile. Between the sections for CV/Resumé and Professional practices, you will find a link to your CPD display (hidden by default).

CPD

You can toggle visibility there, to make this visible from your profile. To add CPD items and see your CPD display, just click on the link in your profile. You can also right click and copy the link if you wish to share a direct link to your CPD display with others, link to it from your website, etc. From your display page, you will see the option to add new entries. If you take a ProZ.com training course from now on, those will be added automatically upon completion, and if you are a paying member, they will be added together with your certificate of completion, and marked as verified.

A points system for CPD reported at ProZ.com is in the works, and will be implemented in the future.

FAQ

What kinds of activities can be reported as continuing professional development (CPD)?

At the moment, there are nine different categories of CPD available:

• Courses
  • Exams
  • In-person events
  • Online events
  • Volunteer/pro bono work
  • Mentoring
  • Publishing (articles)
  • Publishing (books)
  • Presentations and papers

Can I report paid projects I've worked on, or training classes I've given?

In general, no. ProZ.com provides ways of reporting and using commercial work you have done to attract potential clients (for example, via the "What I am working on" and project history features), and if you provide paid training to others you can also leverage that through ProZ.com already. For the most part, to be considered CPD, the activity or work should be non-commercial.

Can I report courses/credentials which are not purely linguistic in nature?

Yes. Some activities which may not be purely related to translation or interpreting can still form part of your CPD. For example, if you specialize in technical translations, courses taken, events attended, or credentials achieved in that field are proof of your continuing professional development in the field in which you provide your linguistic services, and they can be reported and may be eligible for verification as well.

Can I report language learning courses?

For the moment, no. Since language learning courses generally represent efforts which are pre-commercial work in that language, they are not included for now. From a potential client standpoint, whether you are learning Japanese or not is of little interest, as opposed to showing you are already proficient enough to work commercially in Japanese and are improving your skills in, say, interpreting in Japanese.

Can I report CPD activities I have done through other organizations or programs which offer or track CPD?

Yes. The purpose of the ProZ.com CPD system is to allow you to track all of your continuing professional development in one place, and to use that as one more way of differentiating yourself to potential clients if you so choose (or however else you see fit).

What kinds of mentorships can be reported?

Any mentorship performed under a program which provides some kind of formalized structure to a mentor pairing can be reported. For verification purposes, you may need to submit proof of the pairing, duration of the mentorship, etc.

If you have performed a mentorship outside of a formal mentorship program, you can apply to register that mentorship with ProZ.com by contacting the support team. You and your mentee will be asked to fill out a report which documents the mentorship so that ProZ.com staff can verify the pairing. If you are actively mentoring, you may be asked to register the pairing using the tools available in the Mentoring Pool.

What about memberships in organizations?

Memberships can already be reported in your profile in the Memberships section, and are not part of your CPD. Some activities in which you engage as a member of different organizations, or in order to maintain membership there, may be considered as CPD, however.

How will reporting and verifying CPD benefit me?

If you do continuing professional development on at least an informal basis, it is nice to be able to keep track of it and have it in mind when lining up your professional objectives.

In terms of using CPD to increase your client contact, think of it as one more way of differentiating yourself. Potential clients will be able to see that you are actively working to improve your skills and services when they visit your profile. At a later date, they may also be able to use CPD as an additional criterion when searching the directories for professionals, for example.

Hironmoy Golder
    Rosa Monteiro
    Roberto Zendrini (X)
    Sabina Alasgarova

• Federica Aina
    Federica Aina  Identity Verified
    Italy
    Local time: 23:40
    French to Italian
    + ...
    HTTP ERROR 500 Jun 15, 2023

Hello,
    I can't manage to upload my certificates of completion due to HTTP ERROR 500.
    Does anybody else have the same problem?
    Thank you.

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Working on it Jun 15, 2023

Federica Aina wrote:

Hello,
    I can't manage to upload my certificates of completion due to HTTP ERROR 500.
    Does anybody else have the same problem?
    Thank you.

Hi Federica,

It looks like there is a problem with the certificate upload, you are not the only one. Staff is looking into the problem now. Thanks for reporting this, and for your patience!

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Upload feature fixed, can you try again? Jun 16, 2023

Hi again Federica,

Can you try uploading your certificates again? This should be working correctly now. Thanks for the patience!

Suzie Withers
    Suzie Withers  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 22:40
    Member (2006)
    French to English
    + ...
    Upload CPD summaries from other bodies? Jun 19, 2023

Hi Jared

I already log my CPD with CIOL and ITI professional associations and they provide an end-of-year summary pdf.

Rather than re-logging everything a third time on ProZ, it would be good to be able to simply upload one of these summaries. Is this possible or could it be made possible?

Thanks

Suzie

Alison Jenner

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Adding summaries from other CPD systems Jun 19, 2023

Suzie Withers wrote:

Hi Jared

I already log my CPD with CIOL and ITI professional associations and they provide an end-of-year summary pdf.

Rather than re-logging everything a third time on ProZ, it would be good to be able to simply upload one of these summaries. Is this possible or could it be made possible?

Thanks

Suzie

Hi Suzie,

As it stands, you could add something like that as, for example "CIOL CPD, 2022", and then upload the summary pdf for verification. There is not currently a way to import that in a way that would show a breakdown of each item, though (e.g. names, subject matters, and so on), and I'm not sure what would need to be done, technically speaking, to allow for that. But I will make note of it for possible further development-- not having to log the same thing two or three times would definitely be ideal.

Zoe Rompou
    Zoe Rompou  Identity Verified
    Local time: 00:40
    Member (2018)
    English to Greek
    + ...
    I cant find where to find this line "CPDs" between CV and Professional practices.... Jun 30, 2023

Hi Jared, where exactly should I look for this field? I see this only, no field for CPD...

Profile completeness:
    Required: 100%
    Encouraged: 100%
    Details...

Improve your profile:

Profile improvement guide
    How-to: Complete your profile to attract the right clients
    Site guidance center

ProZ.com Account
    Contact
    Services & offerings
    Languages
    Financial
    Professional
    ... See more
    Hi Jared, where exactly should I look for this field? I see this only, no field for CPD...

Profile completeness:
    Required: 100%
    Encouraged: 100%
    Details...

Improve your profile:

Profile improvement guide
    How-to: Complete your profile to attract the right clients
    Site guidance center

ProZ.com Account
    Contact
    Services & offerings
    Languages
    Financial
    Professional history
    Marketing and promotion
    Tagline(s)
    Photo(s)
    Profile greetings
    Bio
    CV/résumé(s)
    Data security
    Feedback
    Search Engine Optimization

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hi again Federica,

Can you try uploading your certificates again? This should be working correctly now. Thanks for the patience!
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    You will see it from the main view of your profile Jun 30, 2023

Hi Zoe,

Sorry for the confusion. The CPD display is not part of your profile completion or profile updater. You will see it, and the option to display it, when you look at the main view of your profile, https://www.proz.com/profile/712526 . From there, just click "Display standardized information" to open up your profile and scroll down until you get to "CPD". Let me know if you are still
    ... See more
    Hi Zoe,

Sorry for the confusion. The CPD display is not part of your profile completion or profile updater. You will see it, and the option to display it, when you look at the main view of your profile, https://www.proz.com/profile/712526 . From there, just click "Display standardized information" to open up your profile and scroll down until you get to "CPD". Let me know if you are still not finding it.
    Collapse

Rody Correa Avila
    Rody Correa Avila  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 16:40
    Member (2011)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    My Certificate Is Not Shown in My Courses Jun 30, 2023

For some reason, I cannot find the Certificate for the HIPAA Course I finished in January.

I have it saved but it is not in the "My Courses" section.
    Is this Course one I can add to this section?
    I tried uploading the Certificate which I have in my computer but it will not accept it in the Upload Images box below.

Ana Salvador
    Ana Salvador  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2023)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    I don't know how to conceal my CPD Jul 5, 2023

Hi Jared,

I went to https://www.proz.com/profile/3690580 and I can see "Training sessions attended" and the courses below with "download", but cannot find any place where to choose NOT show CPD.

I visited https://www.proz.com/profile/3690580?visitor=1 (I guess it is my
    ... See more
    Hi Jared,

I went to https://www.proz.com/profile/3690580 and I can see "Training sessions attended" and the courses below with "download", but cannot find any place where to choose NOT show CPD.

I visited https://www.proz.com/profile/3690580?visitor=1 (I guess it is my profile for my clients) and, obviously, the "Training sessions attended" are there. I do not want that possible customers see them.

How can I conceal CPD to customers?

Ana Salvador
    Collapse

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Hiding "Events and training" Jul 5, 2023

Ana Salvador wrote:

Hi Jared,

I visited https://www.proz.com/profile/3690580?visitor=1 (I guess it is my profile for my clients) and, obviously, the "Training sessions attended" are there. I do not want that possible customers see them.

How can I conceal CPD to customers?

Ana Salvador

Hi Ana,

The part you are talking about, just above the CPD display, can also be hidden using the visibility toggle. Just to the left of the title, you'll see an arrow up/down icon. Click on that to either show or hide the area. I've already hidden yours for you.

Jared

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Sorry, Rody Jul 5, 2023

Rody Correa Avila wrote:

For some reason, I cannot find the Certificate for the HIPAA Course I finished in January.

I have it saved but it is not in the "My Courses" section.
    Is this Course one I can add to this section?
    I tried uploading the Certificate which I have in my computer but it will not accept it in the Upload Images box below.

I missed your post, sorry. It looks like you were able to resolve this in the meantime, though-- the course is displayed and verified in your CPD display. If you're still having trouble, let me know!

Jesús Miguel García Jiménez
    Jesús Miguel García Jiménez  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2020)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    About the certificate of completion Jul 27, 2023

Hi,

If I upload a certificate of completion, will it be visible to everyone? Or is it just for verification purposes? I am asking this because mine contains some personal info that I do not want it to be displayed.

Thank you

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Your certificates of completion are for verification purposes Aug 8, 2023

Jesús Miguel García Jiménez wrote:

Hi,

If I upload a certificate of completion, will it be visible to everyone? Or is it just for verification purposes? I am asking this because mine contains some personal info that I do not want it to be displayed.

Thank you

Hi Jesús,

Your certificates of completion will be visible to you and to staff. They are used to verify entries, and for the moment are not displayed publicly (if that becomes an option later on, you will be able to choose if you display them).

Jared

Ekaterina Markova
    Ekaterina Markova  Identity Verified
    Türkiye
    Local time: 00:40
    Member (2007)
    Italian to Russian
    + ...
    Awaiting verification Nov 7, 2023

I added my activities, and I am waiting for the verification 5 days. What is about terms of the verification?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Report, track, and verify your continuing professional development using ProZ.com

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »