Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 25, 2007

I'm on multiple deadlines and last night, after many hours of having Adobe Reader reading various .pdfs aloud to me, I suddenly encountered this problem in a middle of a file, where there had been no previous problem:

I'd type cntl-shift-V (for read page), and Adobe Reader would shut down. I tried options -- using the drop-down menu, asking it to read the entire document, selecting a different document to read, and even booting Dragon and trying to get it to read the document. Noth
... See more
I'm on multiple deadlines and last night, after many hours of having Adobe Reader reading various .pdfs aloud to me, I suddenly encountered this problem in a middle of a file, where there had been no previous problem:

I'd type cntl-shift-V (for read page), and Adobe Reader would shut down. I tried options -- using the drop-down menu, asking it to read the entire document, selecting a different document to read, and even booting Dragon and trying to get it to read the document. Nothing works!! (At least with Dragon, everything doesn't shut down, but the program won't read the file.)

On top of that, with this version of Adobe, every time I open a file, a window opens that says: "Reading Untagged Document." I select "Read Entire Document," but then I have to sit there waiting for the process to complete.

So, apart from the big question of how to get Adobe to start reading .pdf files again (and especially to stop shutting down!), I'm hoping someone can tell me why Dragon won't read the .pdfs and also how to avoid having to go through the "Untagged Document" routine at the start of every file.

Any help will be deeply appreciated!
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:11
Member (2006)
French to English
Try updating dragon Jul 25, 2007

I think I had a similar problem some time ago. It magically straightened itself out (I love my computer's AI). Maybe try updating Dragon or getting the latest fix.

Just a wild guess, hope you get things working again,

John

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
updating Adobe 8.x Jul 25, 2007

Thanks, John, for this suggestion.

After posting this, I tried installing a newer version of Adobe. Now, Adobe is reading aloud again (although I find the layout of this latest version to be very confusing!).

I'll see if there are any downloads for Dragon, because it still isn't responding (although I find it to be very balky when it comes to the read-back feature).

Thanks for your help!

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Problem recurred with Adobe 8 Jul 25, 2007

I can't believe this! After wasting all this time downloading version 8, I opened it and it started reading one two-column page--but it read it across (jumping back and forth between columns).

I stopped it, and then started it again, and it shut down just as Adobe 7 had been doing.

Any ideas anyone?

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:11
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try defining tags and reading order in the PDF Jul 25, 2007

If the document is unstructured/untagged, Acrobat does not have the necessary information for the reading out loud feature and this may cause your problem.
You can add tags and define the correct reading order using Acrobat's (the full product, not the Reader) Accessibility tools, as described in the help

Hope this helps,
Robe
... See more
If the document is unstructured/untagged, Acrobat does not have the necessary information for the reading out loud feature and this may cause your problem.
You can add tags and define the correct reading order using Acrobat's (the full product, not the Reader) Accessibility tools, as described in the help

Hope this helps,
Roberta

[Edited at 2007-07-25 16:40]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
fixed (I hope) Jul 25, 2007

Roberta: Thanks for the info. Oddly, it had defined the tags and reading order. I finally uninstalled 8.1 and reinstalled it (it took several attempts) and now it is working again.

I think that I need to stay away from the Accessibility options, because I went there with the two other downloads and changed things, and that was when everything went wrong. But when I have more time, I'll experiment.

Thanks again!

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Reading Untagged Document Jul 25, 2007

I've continued to have problems, but just now, I rebooted Acrobat and this time, when the "Reading Untagged Document" window opened, I simply closed it without do any "inferring of page order" and now everything seems to be working ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Reader 7.0 closes on "Read document" command

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »