Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:04
Spanish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2007

I had the chance to try a Motorola H500 with DNS9 and the results were absolutely awful. I know that no Bluetooth headset will actually outdo a wired one, but I'd like to know if anybody has found Bluetooth Headset that can work with Dragon. I'm considering a good sound quality and also battery life because it would be great to have one Bluetooth headset that will work with all Dragon, Skype and my cellphone

Thanks.

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 16:04
Japanese to English
Plantronics Voyager not bad Jun 21, 2007

I have been experimenting with a Plantronics Voyager 510 for the past week or so and it works pretty well. In fact, I am dictating with it right now.

You will have to make some accommodations. I find that I need to set the speed/accuracy slider a bit more towards the accuracy side to get satisfactory results (on my computer, roughly the middle of the scale), and it takes a while to get used to the speed hit. Power supply is another problem. You can use the microphone for roughly 5
... See more
I have been experimenting with a Plantronics Voyager 510 for the past week or so and it works pretty well. In fact, I am dictating with it right now.

You will have to make some accommodations. I find that I need to set the speed/accuracy slider a bit more towards the accuracy side to get satisfactory results (on my computer, roughly the middle of the scale), and it takes a while to get used to the speed hit. Power supply is another problem. You can use the microphone for roughly 5 hours without recharging, which does not quite make it through a business day for me. I have actually bought a second so that I can hot switch them, which works fine, but is an extra investment. Finally, it is not quite as noise canceling as I would like. My primary microphone prior to this was a Sennheiser ME-3, which had excellent noise canceling. The Voyager is a bit more susceptible to ambient noise, though well within tolerances and certainly nowhere near as bad as the cheap microphones that are included in the Dragon box.

On the good side, this is probably the most comfortable mic I have ever used. I love not having to wrestle with wires, and it is great to be able to get up and pace around the room without a tether. Accuracy, as you can see, is very good. The only words I had to correct when dictating this were "mic" for "mike" and "hot" for "hop." Not bad at all.

I have never tried the Motorola, but I assume that when you did you started with a new speech profile specifically for Bluetooth. Trying to use new microphone with an old profile is a recipe for disaster.

[Edited at 2007-06-21 08:41]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 28, 2007

Thank you Richard for your very thorough reply. It sounds like the 510 is the winner, the other headsets I tried weren't nearly as good as the 510 as you describe it, and I did use a new BT profile.

Thanks again.
Claudia

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Japanese to English
Stop press Jun 28, 2007

Before you spend your money, you may want to check out this, which is scheduled for launch in July:

http://www.callpod.com/products/dragon

On paper, it sounds very good. Pity they don't say what the pricing will be.

Nuance has its mic ratings here:

... See more
Before you spend your money, you may want to check out this, which is scheduled for launch in July:

http://www.callpod.com/products/dragon

On paper, it sounds very good. Pity they don't say what the pricing will be.

Nuance has its mic ratings here:

http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp

The 510 is given surprisingly low marks, though I find it quite adequate. I'm not particularly interested in the over-the-head units, but the relatively high rating for the Sony Akono has me intrgued (especially since it costs less than the Voyager). Too bad it's an export model and not readily available in Japan.
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:04
English to German
Far away from the mouth? Jun 29, 2007

Judging from the pictures, the Dragon's mic seems to be farther away from the mouth than any other microphone I've seen (including other BT headsets like the Voyager 510 which with their short mic booms are already less than ideal). In addition, I expect it to be difficult to keep the mic pointing consistently in the same direction, which also affects accuracy.

So in spite of the suggestive name, I wouldn't hold my breath as to the compatibility of both Dragons...
See more
Judging from the pictures, the Dragon's mic seems to be farther away from the mouth than any other microphone I've seen (including other BT headsets like the Voyager 510 which with their short mic booms are already less than ideal). In addition, I expect it to be difficult to keep the mic pointing consistently in the same direction, which also affects accuracy.

So in spite of the suggestive name, I wouldn't hold my breath as to the compatibility of both Dragons -- but maybe I'm in for a surprise.

I'm currently using a Plantronics CS50 (CS60 in the US) with rather good results, although it has taken a few weeks of getting used to -- more than a normal microphone -- before Dragon produced satisfactory recognition. The trouble is that the mic seems to adapt its input level automatically, "on the fly", which kind of defeats the purpose of the volume settings in Dragon's Audio Setup.

The CS50 is however superbly comfortable (when worn over the head; wearing it over the ear led in my case to a dangling mic that was no use) and quite enduring; I've never had it run down on batteries, but I never dictate all day.

Endre
Collapse

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Japanese to English
But the dual mic structure Jun 29, 2007

What makes me think this may be a winner is the dual mic structure. As I understand it, one mic listens to you while the other listens to the ambient noise, which can then be subtracted by the DSP to in theory leave a crystal clear voice signal.

How it works in practice is a different matter of course.

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Japanese to English
I think we have a winner Jul 6, 2007

Nevermind the "Dragon" mic. Put away the Voyager. There's a new player in town, and it's hot:

www.jawbone.com

Don't let the hype put you off. This microphone arrived today and my initial tests show it to be nothing short of brilliant. It's extraordinarily comfortable to wear, the noise canceling really works as advertised (best score on the Dragon test that I've ever had for a microph
... See more
Nevermind the "Dragon" mic. Put away the Voyager. There's a new player in town, and it's hot:

www.jawbone.com

Don't let the hype put you off. This microphone arrived today and my initial tests show it to be nothing short of brilliant. It's extraordinarily comfortable to wear, the noise canceling really works as advertised (best score on the Dragon test that I've ever had for a microphone) and the speech recognition is so far impressively accurate.

I am dictating this pretty much "out of the box." I did an initial training session and that is all. This isn't a scientific test, but the accuracy rate (which I measure as my annoyance level with the number of corrections I have to make) feels roughly the same as my beloved Sennheiser ME-3, but without the wires (and with a really cool design too). If anything, it feels as if I am not correcting as many of the "small words" as I did with the Sennheiser. Unlike other Bluetooth microphones that I have used, the response speed is on par with a wired microphone, which would indicate that Dragon isn't struggling as hard to recognize something through the mud. Playback confirms this; there is no noise.

My initial impression is, if you are going to buy a Bluetooth mic, this is the one. (Sorry to all of you who bought Voyagers.)

The Dragon mic I linked to before may be even better for all I know, but wow, the Jawbone is pretty amazing.

[Edited at 2007-07-06 11:41]
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
wear comfort of Jawbone Aug 7, 2007

Dear Richard,

thanks for your comment on the new Jawbone microphone. I am tempted to go for it. You said that it's comfortable to wear. What about wearing it all day long? Isn't a "over the head" or "over the neck" model more convenient for the extensive use?
Are these mobile phone applications really the best solutions for translators. The microphone is always quite far away from the mouse of the speaker. Does this have an influence on the recognition quality.

... See more
Dear Richard,

thanks for your comment on the new Jawbone microphone. I am tempted to go for it. You said that it's comfortable to wear. What about wearing it all day long? Isn't a "over the head" or "over the neck" model more convenient for the extensive use?
Are these mobile phone applications really the best solutions for translators. The microphone is always quite far away from the mouse of the speaker. Does this have an influence on the recognition quality.

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe
Collapse

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Japanese to English
Jawbone comfort Aug 7, 2007

Your mileage will vary, of course, but I've never found over-the-head units to be that comfortable, so I wasn't unhappy to give them up.

That being said, a few days into using the Jawbone, I did find the outside of my ear getting sore from the earhook. Jawbone provides four alternative earhooks and I could have experimented with the others, but I decided to remove the earhook entirely and just use an earbud. It took a bit of searching (again, Jawbone takes care to provide several al
... See more
Your mileage will vary, of course, but I've never found over-the-head units to be that comfortable, so I wasn't unhappy to give them up.

That being said, a few days into using the Jawbone, I did find the outside of my ear getting sore from the earhook. Jawbone provides four alternative earhooks and I could have experimented with the others, but I decided to remove the earhook entirely and just use an earbud. It took a bit of searching (again, Jawbone takes care to provide several alternatives), but I finally found one that would keep the mic stable. Even still, after a few hours my ear will complain a bit , which has become my cue to take a coffee break (though less so these days--maybe I'm developing callouses!). A few minutes later it's fine.

Obviously, it's a relative calculation. After a few hours, I usually found myself wanting to rip off the over-the-head units too; at least Jawbone doesn't have any wires to get tangled in my chair.

Microphone gurus insist that you have to have a long boom in order to get good voice-recognition. My experience with the Jawbone is that it doesn't matter. The playback of my voice is as clear as any other mic I've ever used, and accuracy is up there with the best of them.

As for other problems, I experienced some dropping of the Bluetooth connection when using the Jawbone with the built-in Bluetooth on my laptop. This appears to have been a laptop problem; switching to an outboard USB Bluetooth receiver solved it.

The Jawbone also requires that you make the connection from the computer. You can't just turn the mic on and have it automatically connect. This is rather more fiddling than I would like, but not so terribly onerous.

So, exactly one month on from my original post, Jawbone remains my microphone of choice. I'm as satisfied with this thing as I've been with any mic.
Collapse

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Everybody seems to be raving about the Jawbone... Oct 17, 2007

but where do you buy it, if you you are located in the EU?

That's the question I put to Aliph. Their website says that they sell the Jawbone with US adapters only but that UK/EU adapters will be available in fall.

First, they recommended that I buy from their store. Not very handy, considering they are re-charging at 110 volt, whereas I would need a 220 volt charger. Also, considering the shipping and customs hassle, to say nothing of a potential return shipment, I thi
... See more
but where do you buy it, if you you are located in the EU?

That's the question I put to Aliph. Their website says that they sell the Jawbone with US adapters only but that UK/EU adapters will be available in fall.

First, they recommended that I buy from their store. Not very handy, considering they are re-charging at 110 volt, whereas I would need a 220 volt charger. Also, considering the shipping and customs hassle, to say nothing of a potential return shipment, I think I'd rather wait.

Then they said that I could buy from the UK and buy a country specific power adapter locally. I could also quick charge the unit via the USB cable. I am not overly keen on the idea. What if something goes wrong? Do I send the Jawbone across the Channel every time?

In the end, they wrote that they "...are planning to announce our European (retail) launch shortly. Stay tuned!..."

Oh well...I have been staying tuned for their adapter...

Now my question: is it possible to fully charge the Jawbone via the USB cable? If it is, I'll buy in Britain.

Thanks for any input!

Volkmar
Collapse

Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
any news about european version/e-shops? Oct 31, 2007

as volkmar, I would like to buy aliph's jawbone, but apart from colette.fr I could not find any website where they sell it. colette sells it with a US-plug (and in black only).

does anyone know where else I could buy it, possibly with a european plug and 220 volt?

why don't we organize a group-buy

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Jawbone fully charged Nov 16, 2007

Hello,

I was also quite surprised that the mike is sold with an american plug. But it's possible to fully charge it via your USB port. At least that's what I am doing.

Regards

Noe

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A little update Feb 22, 2008

A few months ago I finally bought the Jawbone. Unfortunately after a few weeks, it stopped working. I got a replacement unit but this one lasted even less time. So I gave up on the Jawbone.

Now I'm using the Motorola S9 Headset which works wonderfully. It's not the typical cellphone headset, it's a sports-like stereo headset which I actually find more comfortable, since I don't have to hook it to my ear. I just wear it around my neck like a snap-in collar and there's no risk of it f
... See more
A few months ago I finally bought the Jawbone. Unfortunately after a few weeks, it stopped working. I got a replacement unit but this one lasted even less time. So I gave up on the Jawbone.

Now I'm using the Motorola S9 Headset which works wonderfully. It's not the typical cellphone headset, it's a sports-like stereo headset which I actually find more comfortable, since I don't have to hook it to my ear. I just wear it around my neck like a snap-in collar and there's no risk of it falling down or dangling all over my ear. They're barely noticeable, and very cheap, I paid around $50.

The mic seems to work very good too. I guess I've trained it enough because I don't really notice much difference from my older Plantronics wired headset.

Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 01:04
English
Bluetooth response Mar 11, 2008

The only true Bluetooth Microphone for use with DNS is the VXI Bluetooth B-150 GTX wireless microphone but unfortunately many people have not been completely satisfied with its performance.

Everyone would like one of those cute little Bluetooth cellphone type headsets that are very unobtrusive. To date, we have tested over a dozen of these. The problem is that the one they do not have good noise canceling microphones and the boom does not reach in front of the mouth but is against t
... See more
The only true Bluetooth Microphone for use with DNS is the VXI Bluetooth B-150 GTX wireless microphone but unfortunately many people have not been completely satisfied with its performance.

Everyone would like one of those cute little Bluetooth cellphone type headsets that are very unobtrusive. To date, we have tested over a dozen of these. The problem is that the one they do not have good noise canceling microphones and the boom does not reach in front of the mouth but is against the cheek so the full range of the audio cannot be picked up clearly. In addition, VXI tunes the digital Bluetooth signal to work better with Dragon NaturallySpeaking as well as adding the same excellent Gentex microphone element is found in their highly respected TalkPro microphones.

There are several excellent wireless microphones that I'll list here in order of performance.

1. Hybrid Samson Airline 77 wireless microphone – The highest accuracy and best noise cancellation on any mic we’ve ever tested.

2. Revolabs xTag wireless lapel microphone - This mic placed second in accuracy and is incredibly comfortable as it is a lapel mic. It’s Achilles heal is its noise cancellation so it needs to used in more quite environments.

3. Sennheiser BW 900 - We found the BW 900 to be exceptionally good with NaturallySpeaking after adding the proprietary PC Switch/Cabling device that we use to convert the Plantronics CS55 and Plantronics CS70N microphones into speech recognition mics. This microphone exhibits exceptionally high accuracy and noise cancellation. From an accuracy point of view we found the BW 900 equivalent to the Hybrid Plantronics CS55 and Hybrid Plantronics CS70N

4. Plantronics CS70 N- This mic is an updated version of the CS55 Featuruing increased noise cancellation and an updated look similar to the Voyager 510.

5. Plantronics CS55 - This microphone exhibits exceptionally high accuracy but could noise cancellation could be better.

6. Plantronics CS50-USB wireless microphone – sixth in accuracy with its sound device built in. A slight bit less accurate than the CS55 due to the sound device being a bit gritty compared to the VXI or Andrea external soundcards used with the CS55.

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
Collapse

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Japanese to English
Absolute nonsense Mar 11, 2008

Tom Hamilton wrote:

The only true Bluetooth Microphone for use with DNS is the VXI Bluetooth B-150 GTX wireless microphone ...

Everyone would like one of those cute little Bluetooth cellphone type headsets that are very unobtrusive. To date, we have tested over a dozen of these. The problem is that the one they do not have good noise canceling microphones and the boom does not reach in front of the mouth but is against the cheek so the full range of the audio cannot be picked up clearly. ...

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor

Tom,

I'm sure you mean well--and give Lunis my regards--but it is quite possible to get excellent performance from some of the small, cute, unobtrusive, lightweight, cordless, easy-to-carry, no-extra-gizmos-required Bluetooth mics. Those that use cheekbone conduction have no problem producing clear, intelligible signals that compare very well in practical settings to the best wired mics without all of the hassle.

While KnowBrainer is a great vendor of speech-recognition tools and I have no problem recommending you, I do have to wonder if your commercial interests aren't clouding your microphone evaluations in this case.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bluetooth headset for DNS9

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »