Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm starting to get the idea... Jun 2, 2007

From what I've been reading here, it sounds like using Dragon is a very subjective matter. In other words, some people "get along" with it and others don't.

Also, there have been conflicting things posted about actual hardware requirements, etc. I have 504 MB RAM, for instance, and one poster seemed to think that was enough, while others did not. That's a bit confusing to me, but I suppose the best thing to do is to get more RAM, just to be on the safe side.

Here's th
... See more
From what I've been reading here, it sounds like using Dragon is a very subjective matter. In other words, some people "get along" with it and others don't.

Also, there have been conflicting things posted about actual hardware requirements, etc. I have 504 MB RAM, for instance, and one poster seemed to think that was enough, while others did not. That's a bit confusing to me, but I suppose the best thing to do is to get more RAM, just to be on the safe side.

Here's the thing: I'm highly motivated to use this program because I have very poor vision, not because I want to be able to translater faster...I already translate pretty fast, or at least fast enough.

This is why I'm looking into it so carefully. I want to make sure I get the right thing and that my computer is prepared.

Amy
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A couple of comments for Pavel Jun 2, 2007

Pavel Blann wrote:

p.s. I run dns 9.5 on pentium 4, 3ghz, 448mb ram (video takes 64mb out of 512mb), windows xp sp2 together with word 97--no problems so far. I plan to add another 512mb memory module in order to run more apps though.

Well, this is a lot less ram than some others are saying is necessary. So it seems that I should be able to the program OK, although I'm also thinking of adding more ram.

I also wanted to ask you why you think Preferred is better...just curious.

Amy

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:53
English to French
+ ...
Wonderful software BUT very lousy service Jun 2, 2007

Every time I have to deal with Nuance, I get a throbbing headache! Be patient - the software is really worth it.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I took the plunge... Jun 5, 2007

Don't know if anyone is still reading the posts here, but I bought DNS 9 Preferred from a seller at Amazon for $75 (without the box), and ordered an extra GB of RAM for my computer...so, I'm off to the races!

Amy

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:53
English to French
+ ...
Good deal! Jun 6, 2007

Congratulations - you got your copy of Dragon at a great price!

You will not regret learning and using it. Just be patient in the first few weeks and keep correcting Dragon's mistakes. If you do keep correcting Dragon instead of just correcting the text, within a few weeks, you'll be able to dictate entire pages without any errors. Advice: backup your user file often - mine got corrupted once and it wasn't the right time to start training it anew...

All the best!
... See more

You will not regret learning and using it. Just be patient in the first few weeks and keep correcting Dragon's mistakes. If you do keep correcting Dragon instead of just correcting the text, within a few weeks, you'll be able to dictate entire pages without any errors. Advice: backup your user file often - mine got corrupted once and it wasn't the right time to start training it anew...

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-06-06 05:40]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thansk for the encouragement! Jun 6, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-06-06 05:40]

I plan to spend lots of time learning how to use it properly, and will also be careful about backups. Thanks, to you and everyone on this forum who encouraged me!

Amy

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Why version 9, Amy? Dec 10, 2008

It is a pity you didn't treat yourself to v. 10, Amy; in my opinion, it is so much better than v. 9. Recognition is superior, the text appears on the screen almost instantly--I'm very happy with it.

When I upgraded to v. 10, I also bought a wireless headset, something I had wanted for a long time. It is absolutely fantastic. Now I don't feel tied to my machine by the headset cable--I can walk around the room and dictate (very handy for long and intricate legal passages), fetch a cup
... See more
It is a pity you didn't treat yourself to v. 10, Amy; in my opinion, it is so much better than v. 9. Recognition is superior, the text appears on the screen almost instantly--I'm very happy with it.

When I upgraded to v. 10, I also bought a wireless headset, something I had wanted for a long time. It is absolutely fantastic. Now I don't feel tied to my machine by the headset cable--I can walk around the room and dictate (very handy for long and intricate legal passages), fetch a cup of coffee or skype with a peer and walk all over the house at the same time.

I wish you luck, Amy. You will love this programme once you get the knack of it--and you will love your bottom line at the end of the month (or the additional spare time).

Volkmar
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a long story... Dec 11, 2008

Volkmar Hirantner wrote:

It is a pity you didn't treat yourself to v. 10, Amy;

Hi Volkmar...as it turns out, I never used the program at all because I switched to Mac; then I made an international move and really didn't have time to think about it. Originally I had bought it from an Amazon seller and wasn't really aware that there was a better version.

In any case, I ended up installing Parallels and Windows on my Mac, so I unearthed the DNS program recently only to discover that the seller had neglected to include a serial number (which was also not on either of the CDs), so I was royally screwed. Maybe I'll give it another try some day.

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 05:53
English
stay clear of ebay or Amazon when purchasing DNS Dec 15, 2008

[/quote]

Hi Volkmar...as it turns out, I never used the program at all because I switched to Mac; then I made an international move and really didn't have time to think about it. Originally I had bought it from an Amazon seller and wasn't really aware that there was a better version.

In any case, I ended up installing Parallels and Windows on my Mac, so I unearthed the DNS program recently only to discover that the seller had neglected to include a serial number (which
... See more
[/quote]

In any case, I ended up installing Parallels and Windows on my Mac, so I unearthed the DNS program recently only to discover that the seller had neglected to include a serial number (which was also not on either of the CDs), so I was royally screwed. Maybe I'll give it another try some day. [/quote]

Amy,

All Official DNS software includes 3 copies of the serial numbers on the dvd as well as directions in 8 different languages. This is why we strongly recommended for customers to stay clear of ebay or Amazon when purchasing DNS. More often than not people end up with pirated software and even if they don't they have no tech support.

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
ALWAYS Ask If Your Speech Recognition Vendor Is Nuance Certified
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic question about Dragon Naturally Speaking

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »