Speech recognition software compatible with Windows 11
Thread poster: Jenny Scott
Jenny Scott
Jenny Scott  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Member (2011)
Norwegian to English
May 27, 2023

Does anybody know if Dragon Professional Individual is compatible with Windows 11 and Trados Studio 2022?

For many years, I have been using Dragon Naturally Speaking Home, and it has worked absolutely fine. However, after upgrading to Windows 11, it is full of glitches and more or less unusable - slow to respond, mishears easy words, and then stops responding altogether.

I am reluctant to spend the $700 (ouch!) on Dragon Professional Individual in case I run into the s
... See more
Does anybody know if Dragon Professional Individual is compatible with Windows 11 and Trados Studio 2022?

For many years, I have been using Dragon Naturally Speaking Home, and it has worked absolutely fine. However, after upgrading to Windows 11, it is full of glitches and more or less unusable - slow to respond, mishears easy words, and then stops responding altogether.

I am reluctant to spend the $700 (ouch!) on Dragon Professional Individual in case I run into the same problems. Does anybody have any recent experience of using it with Windows 11 and Studio 2022?
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
Danish to English
+ ...
Windows 11 May 27, 2023

Windows 11 itself comes with speech recognition. It works well enough for my casual needs in all the languages I dictate in, and in all UIs. Have you tried it?

Since you have problems with the software mishearing words, you may want to check that your microphone gain is turned up to maximum.

William Tierney
neilmac
philgoddard
Jenny Scott

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
A good question May 27, 2023

Jenny Scott wrote:
Does anybody have any recent experience of using it with Windows 11 and Studio 2022?

I can't help but thank you for asking - I too am interested in this. I'm using Dragon Professional Individual 15 on Windows 10, but at some point I will be upgrading to Windows 11 and I don't want problems with this component of my workflow...

Dan

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
I have had problems too May 27, 2023

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and my NS does not work as well as it did with Windows 10. Off course, get the NS upgrade and the problem will go away. Funny how that happens.

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Thanks! May 27, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Windows 11 itself comes with speech recognition. It works well enough for my casual needs in all the languages I dictate in, and in all UIs. Have you tried it?

Since you have problems with the software mishearing words, you may want to check that your microphone gain is turned up to maximum.

I will try the Windows 11 speech recognition. If Nuance is reading these comments, perhaps they will lower the price for their latest edition.

Jenny Scott
Member (2011)
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes it's the simple things... May 29, 2023

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Thomas - your very sensible suggestion to check the microphone turned out to be the answer! I switched it for a different microphone, and guess what - all is working again with Dragon NS! It had never occurred to me that the microphone could appear to be working but just not be functioning properly. Thank you so much for guiding me to this! Genius!

Thanks also for pointing me to Windows 11 speech recognition, which I hadn't known abou
... See more
Thanks so much for all the replies.

Thomas - your very sensible suggestion to check the microphone turned out to be the answer! I switched it for a different microphone, and guess what - all is working again with Dragon NS! It had never occurred to me that the microphone could appear to be working but just not be functioning properly. Thank you so much for guiding me to this! Genius!

Thanks also for pointing me to Windows 11 speech recognition, which I hadn't known about. I have now briefly tried it, but for me it seems a bit fiddly - for example, in Trados, every time I click in the field into which I am dictating, e.g. to insert a name or do a concordance search, I then have to reactivate the microphone. Maybe there are tricks that I need to learn, but for me this technology isn't quite good enough.

So for now, I am sticking with Dragon NS and hoping that it continues to be functional for a while. The money that they are asking for Dragon Professional is absolutely eye-watering. Ultimately the investment would pay off in terms of increased speed of translation, so if it becomes necessary, then I will spend the money, but it's just such a lot up front!

Thank you also William and Dan for your replies.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Windows 11 and microphone May 29, 2023

I'm happy to know you got it working. The original microphone may work too but may simply need to have its gain setting increased. This happened to a friend of mine. I couldn't hear what he was saying on video calls. The microphone gain setting simply needed to be increased to max.

For Windows 11 to listen, you do indeed need to hit Winkey+H. I don't find it inconvenient, but I don't know how Dragon does it. Winkey+Enter cycles through your configured Windows languages, so you can u
... See more
I'm happy to know you got it working. The original microphone may work too but may simply need to have its gain setting increased. This happened to a friend of mine. I couldn't hear what he was saying on video calls. The microphone gain setting simply needed to be increased to max.

For Windows 11 to listen, you do indeed need to hit Winkey+H. I don't find it inconvenient, but I don't know how Dragon does it. Winkey+Enter cycles through your configured Windows languages, so you can use voice typing in multiple languages.

Voice typing and the punctuation commands are described on the URL below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-voice-typing-to-talk-instead-of-type-on-your-pc-fec94565-c4bd-329d-e59a-af033fa5689f
Collapse

philgoddard

Jenny Scott
Member (2011)
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 11 and microphone May 29, 2023

Thanks, Thomas,

I may have to experiment with the microphone settings, but I suspect it has developed a fault, as one day it was working, and the next it wasn't. I assumed it was linked to a Windows update, but I think it had just reached the end of its life.

Dragon is great - once you have turned it on, your dictation seamlessly inserts wherever you have your cursor, so you can jump from Trados to the Internet, and back again.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Microphones in Windows 11 May 29, 2023

Both my friend and I are having some problems with our microphones on Windows 11. One moment, WhatsApp can access them, another it says the microphone is unavailable or in use in another app, even just after a Windows restart, or the microphone input is extremely low. Same with Windows' voice recording app.

I don't think a microphone reaches its end of life just like that.

Maybe Microsoft has messed around with the microphone functionality in a recent update.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
How to increase the microphone gain in Windows 11 Jun 4, 2023

This article explains how to increase the microphone gain in Windows 11. One needs the Control Panel, not Windows Settings.

https://www.minitool.com/news/amplify-boost-increase-mic-volume-windows-11.html

Jenny Scott
Member (2011)
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great tip about microphone settings Jun 5, 2023

Thanks very much Thomas!

Why is it that these things are buried in obscure places? I would never have found that, not when there are sound settings in Windows Settings.

Martin Lord

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech recognition software compatible with Windows 11

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »