Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
New ‘Dragon Professional 16’: is it any better than Dragon Professional Individual 15?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2023

Has anyone upgraded to the new version of Dragon, ‘Dragon Professional v16’?

Is it any better? Any worse?

Nuance marketing copy of course says it is better, but I have heard it's pretty much the same old v15 under the hood.

See: https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=4

PS: I'm specifically interested in how well it performs in memoQ on Windows 11.

DragonProfessionalV16InstantDownload_1200x1200

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Too early for real change, maybe Mar 7, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:
Is it any better? Any worse?

Watching with interest but without much hope.

Perhaps Microsoft will eventually make some difference, but I suspect they're still exploring Nuance's Dragon codebase with a mixture of surprise and horror.

Dan

Endre Both

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Is there any point buying Dragon? Mar 7, 2023

The dictation tool that comes with Windows is very good now. It's improved a great deal in the last couple of years.

Yaotl Altan

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not tempted to upgrade to v16 unless there's a good reason to do so... Mar 8, 2023

philgoddard wrote:
The dictation tool that comes with Windows is very good now. It's improved a great deal in the last couple of years.

I am dictating this using the windows dictation tall, and it's better than I thought it would be. Nevertheless, as you can see from this small piece of text, it still has its own issues. For example, "own issues" came out as "origins" and then as "only issues". Having said that, my understanding is that it still needs to be trained, in which case may be will get better overtime.

The other potential issue is the lack of custom commands (at least as far as I can see).

Possibly a decent backup option, but not as useful as Dragon (yet).

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2023-03-08 08:22 GMT]

neilmac

Paula Darwish
Paula Darwish  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Dragon 15, 16 and MemoQ Mar 8, 2023

I have dragon 15 and it works seamlessly with MemoQ, including short cut commands. I used to have a lot of issues with crashing but they were resolved when I upgraded to a more powerful laptop. I think the drawback of Dragon is that it needs so much processing power and sends a lot of laptops crashing into oblivion when used with MemoQ. Until there is some kind of "lite" version coming up I think a powerful laptop is the best solution for translators.

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 14:12
German to English
+ ...
User of a very old version, question about cursor mishaps Mar 12, 2023

I'm still using 12, which works very well in terms of recognition but fairly frequently will stick the text in the middle of the segment I am working on, i.e. into text that has already been entered, rather than at the end.

I am fairly sure it's a combination of Dragon and memoQ, since this does not happen in other programs.

But I was wondering if anyone had had this problem?

Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a newer version of Dragon, but I am still w
... See more
I'm still using 12, which works very well in terms of recognition but fairly frequently will stick the text in the middle of the segment I am working on, i.e. into text that has already been entered, rather than at the end.

I am fairly sure it's a combination of Dragon and memoQ, since this does not happen in other programs.

But I was wondering if anyone had had this problem?

Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a newer version of Dragon, but I am still waiting for it to come down in price. I imagine it's only a question of waiting until there's something better that doesn't charge what I see as a way overpriced €400 or so (and that's for an upgrade).
Collapse

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 16:12
Member (2022)
Italian to English
The price has practically doubled, but Mar 28, 2023

Somebody above said they would wait until the price comes down. I have never ever known the price of software to come down. I am thinking two things: one is hurry up before the price goes up again and the other is I had better also buy the upgrade from version 15, which gives a 50% discount, before they come out with version 17 when there may be no discount if you upgrade from version 15.

Bill Gates has taught me a lot in life, but not how to break Microsoft's monopoly or even how
... See more
Somebody above said they would wait until the price comes down. I have never ever known the price of software to come down. I am thinking two things: one is hurry up before the price goes up again and the other is I had better also buy the upgrade from version 15, which gives a 50% discount, before they come out with version 17 when there may be no discount if you upgrade from version 15.

Bill Gates has taught me a lot in life, but not how to break Microsoft's monopoly or even how to stop it spreading. Another reason for upgrading now is because version 16 is clearly built for windows 11, and it seems you can upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 now for free and judging by the absence of complaints, the upgrade to windows 11 would seem to be relatively painless compared with the forced update to Windows 10 a few years ago.
Said all that, when I saw the price of Dragon version 16, ouch!
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Maybe focus on the software rather than the OS Mar 28, 2023

James (Jim) Davis wrote:
Bill Gates has taught me a lot in life, but not how to break Microsoft's monopoly or even how to stop it spreading.

There is no "monopoly". You can jettison Windows and move to OS X or Linux if you want to. All three operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. I choose to stick with Windows because I have no particular beef with Microsoft and I think it represents the least bad set of compromises. Nevertheless, there are credible alternatives to Windows. "But I find the alternatives less convenient" is not the definition of a monopoly.

(Incidentally, Windows’ share of the desktop OS market has been falling for a decade or more and, at just over an estimated 70%, is at its lowest point since 2009, and probably 1999.)

In contrast, your point about the price never coming down is a sensible one. Then again, while of course I would prefer to pay less, what's a few hundred dollars for a piece of software that you use every day for several years to earn your living?

Dan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Vfm Mar 28, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
what's a few hundred dollars for a piece of software that you use every day for several years to earn your living?

Dan

Not much. The galling thing for me is that it uses so much memory yet its recognition is not as good as my iPhone…

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Interesting Mar 29, 2023

Not much. The galling thing for me is that it uses so much memory yet its recognition is not as good as my iPhone…

Intriguing? Have you thought about using that instead? Perhaps by mirroring the iPhone screen to the big screen on your Mac in some way...?

Yes, I find DNS15 a bit of a resource hog too.

Dan

[Edited at 2023-03-29 13:24 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
as is v16, which I'm currently testing Mar 29, 2023

see: https://knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=37125&enterthread=y (for some notes on my progress)

Sadly, I am still having to do lots of restarting of Dragon to wake it up again every now and then. I'd say I am having to kill all Dragon processes manually and restart Dragon approximately every hour or so, i
... See more
see: https://knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=37125&enterthread=y (for some notes on my progress)

Sadly, I am still having to do lots of restarting of Dragon to wake it up again every now and then. I'd say I am having to kill all Dragon processes manually and restart Dragon approximately every hour or so, if I'm lucky. Sometimes more often. This is on the latest version of Windows 11. So far, upgrading from 15 to 16 is looking like a big waste of money.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dragon woes Mar 29, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
Intriguing? Have you thought about using that instead? Perhaps by mirroring the iPhone screen to the big screen on your Mac in some way...?

No, as I don't use a Mac...

Part of the story may be that I tend to talk to Siri and Alexa like young children...

The weirdest thing Dragon does is take against certain words after a while for no apparent reason. For example, I cannot get it to dictate Copenhagen (it types "Copan Hagan" instead and Copenhagen is not in the correction options), which is problematic for a Danish translator; and when I say "monetary policy" it now omits the "policy" every time unless I leave a massive gap, which is problematic for an economics translator. Any ideas how to deal with that?

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Thanks for the feedback Mar 29, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:
I'd say I am having to kill all Dragon processes manually and restart Dragon approximately every hour or so, if I'm lucky. Sometimes more often. This is on the latest version of Windows 11.

Not encouraging is it...

Dan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
~ Mar 29, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
I'd say I am having to kill all Dragon processes manually and restart Dragon approximately every hour or so, if I'm lucky. Sometimes more often. This is on the latest version of Windows 11.

Not encouraging is it...

Dan

I should also note that I am currently using my laptop's built-in microphone, since my fancy desktop mic broke a while back.

Also, everything has been working perfectly now for a few hours straight. Dictation in memoQ (including selecting words in target box by voice) and a few commands (Confirm segment, Add to background glossary, Add to project glossary, Insert tag, etc.) all working flawlessly.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 options Mar 30, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

No, as I don't use a Mac...

Part of the story may be that I tend to talk to Siri and Alexa like young children...

The weirdest thing Dragon does is take against certain words after a while for no apparent reason. For example, I cannot get it to dictate Copenhagen (it types "Copan Hagan" instead and Copenhagen is not in the correction options), which is problematic for a Danish translator; and when I say "monetary policy" it now omits the "policy" every time unless I leave a massive gap, which is problematic for an economics translator. Any ideas how to deal with that?

You should be able to train Dragon to recognise certain words, although I find that it doesn't work very often. See e.g.: https://www.nuance.com/products/help/dragon/dragon-for-pc/enx/professionalgroup/main/Content/Vocabulary/training_dragon.htm

Another option is to try Voice Access (available in the latest versions of Win11), which is actually pretty damned good.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New ‘Dragon Professional 16’: is it any better than Dragon Professional Individual 15?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »