Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 4, 2022

As some of you may have seen, Jan Kapoun recently posted about his software called "Bohemicus", which is a hodgepodge of translation related functions.

In particular, I'm interested in its ability to use Google's speech-to-text from an Android phone on a Windows computer. One installs the Bohemicus app via Google Play, connect the phone to the computer via Wi-Fi, run Bohemicus on the computer, and then press the shortcut (the default shortcut is [`]). This particular feature is no
... See more
As some of you may have seen, Jan Kapoun recently posted about his software called "Bohemicus", which is a hodgepodge of translation related functions.

In particular, I'm interested in its ability to use Google's speech-to-text from an Android phone on a Windows computer. One installs the Bohemicus app via Google Play, connect the phone to the computer via Wi-Fi, run Bohemicus on the computer, and then press the shortcut (the default shortcut is [`]). This particular feature is not available in trial mode (but the EUR 99 license fee has a no-questions 30-day money-back guarantee).

Does anyone have any experience with this feature?

https://bohemicus-software.cz

PS. I was only able to reach the Bohemicus website and running Bohemicus on my computer by setting my VPN to "Czech Republic" or by disabling the VPN entirely. [I'm not affiliated to Bohemicus.]

[Edited at 2022-05-04 20:38 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tested it, and it works well May 4, 2022

I bought a license for Bohemicus and tried out the speech-to-text function, and I can confirm that it works as expected.

Google's speech-to-text engine is a neural engine, which means that it tries to guess what you've been saying based on the surrounding words. When you see this in action (on e.g. Google's web site or in Bohemicus' floating bar) you can see how Google first makes a couple of wrong guesses and then corrects itself, to end up with a result that is often very close t
... See more
I bought a license for Bohemicus and tried out the speech-to-text function, and I can confirm that it works as expected.

Google's speech-to-text engine is a neural engine, which means that it tries to guess what you've been saying based on the surrounding words. When you see this in action (on e.g. Google's web site or in Bohemicus' floating bar) you can see how Google first makes a couple of wrong guesses and then corrects itself, to end up with a result that is often very close to accurate. It struggles with things like abbreviations and proper nouns.

My desktop computer doesn't come with Bluetooth installed, so I used a USB dongle that I bought for about EUR 20. My phone is quite old, so I had to tinker with it quite a bit to get it to pair with my computer, though I expect more modern phones to pair without any problems.

After the phone and computer are paired, and you have entered your language in Language & Settings > Voice (and press the Set button), you just press the relevant shortcut key (which can be customized), then the cellphone makes a beep sound, and then you can talk. After you've stopped talking, it takes a second or two, and then Bohemicus pastes the result into whatever window is active. On a few occasions the speech was not sent to the phone (and the Bohemicus app showed "error"), but then I just retried and then it worked.

The EUR 99 price is rather steep, but this particular feature does work. Unfortunately the hotkeys reset themselves back to the default when the program is shut down, so you have to disable the 85 hotkeys manually each time (spacebar, down arrow, spacebar, down arrow...).

[Edited at 2022-05-04 20:42 GMT]
Collapse

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Thank you May 5, 2022

As we already discussed per email, there seems to be some glitch when using Bohemicus with a VPN, causing users to lose their 14-day trial period. It normally works 14 days in trial mode with all features enabled, speech-to-text included.
Bluetooth pairing can sometimes be a pain - this is unfortunately exclusively between Android and Windows, Bohemicus has no influence over it. But it should mostly work as expected. I made a short video a
... See more
As we already discussed per email, there seems to be some glitch when using Bohemicus with a VPN, causing users to lose their 14-day trial period. It normally works 14 days in trial mode with all features enabled, speech-to-text included.
Bluetooth pairing can sometimes be a pain - this is unfortunately exclusively between Android and Windows, Bohemicus has no influence over it. But it should mostly work as expected. I made a short video about pairing here: https://youtu.be/BjwbxK2Tt6k
As for the hotkeys, it's perhaps better to disable only those that interfere with you work, this might be eg.g the quotation mark hotkey (to insert corrects quotes for a given language). I will add a single button to disable them all at once.
Mr. Murray was fully refunded as soon as he mentioned this in his email.

[Edited at 2022-05-06 07:54 GMT]
Collapse

Juno Bos
Juno Bos  Identity Verified
Zambia
Member (2011)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting Jul 8, 2022

I will try the Bluetooth connection possibility myself in the coming days, since I want to switch to dictation for my work. Otherwise I am pretty chuffed with the functions of Bohemicus so far (still on my 14-day trial though).
And thanks to Samuel for sharing your experience.

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Also using Bohemicus Jul 13, 2023

I am using Bohemicus for some weeks already and would like to meet other "Bohemicus" translators. Is there a special forum for Bohemicus? Please, let me know.

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Chat GPT and Bohemicus Jan 25

I am trying to install Chat GPT with Bohemicus and it is not working for me. What is your experience? I have a Chat GPT Plus account and I could not find the API key which Bohemicus is talking about. Any ideas?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bohemicus

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »