Dragon speech recognition on SDL Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:22
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jun 24, 2021

Has anyone got experience using Dragon products on SDL Trados? Does it work? Is there a course to learn to do it?
Thank you for your help

Best regards
Lenah

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:22
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works! Jun 24, 2021

Hi Lenah,
I use Dragon with SDL Trados, both when I worked in Trados 2017 and now with Trados 2021. I have Dragon Professional Individual v.15. It is expensive up front (especially if you get the fancy microphone like I did), but I find that my productivity has improved a lot on certain projec
... See more
Hi Lenah,
I use Dragon with SDL Trados, both when I worked in Trados 2017 and now with Trados 2021. I have Dragon Professional Individual v.15. It is expensive up front (especially if you get the fancy microphone like I did), but I find that my productivity has improved a lot on certain projects.

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/speech-to-text/f/dragon_naturally_speaking/5347/studio-and-dragon

And here's a 1-hr webinar for 2018 (but most of the commands are the same). You have to sign up but it's free access:

https://www.trados.com/fr/video/increase-your-translation-speed-in-2018-with-voice-recognition-software/128377/thankyou

I mostly use it on simple texts, heavily tagged texts end up faster (for me at least) to do manually. One tip I would say is that if you're doing specialized text with vocabulary you'll need to research, go through the text and do that research first, before you start dictating, so you don't have to stop.

Another is, make sure to review the translation carefully (ideally a day later, or at least 4-5 hours). For some reason I find it harder to detect the kind of mistakes/mispellings that Dragon makes, so it's really important to review it with "fresh eyes".

Check out the KnowBrainer forums if you have issues, many of them are solved there.

Happy dictating!
Collapse

Xanthippe
Roy Chacón
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Yaotl Altan

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jun 24, 2021

Thank you for your quick reply! I will have a look at the links you sent here.

Best regards
Lenah

Jennifer Richmond
Jennifer Richmond  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2018)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Does Dragon Professional Individual v.15 support several languages? Aug 29, 2021

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd wrote:

Hi Lenah,
I use Dragon with SDL Trados, both when I worked in Trados 2017 and now with Trados 2021. I have Dragon Professional Individual v.15. It is expensive up front (especially if you get the fancy microphone like I did), but I find that my productivity has improved a lot on certain projects.

Hi Kathrin,
I am trying to find out whether a Dragon Professional Individual v.15 license can b used for several languages. I found out that Dragon Home bought in Germany only supports German, while Dragon Professional Individual also allows English. What about other languages. Does one need a license for each language or just Dragon Professional Individual v.15?

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Multiple languages Aug 30, 2021

Hi Jennifer,

You can use multiple languages in the professional version, but you have to create separate profiles for each and you must have selected all the languages you want to use upon installation. Supposedly you can add a language after installation using the .exe or installation CD, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

If you've already set up a profile, you can always save that, re-install Dragon with the appropriate languages, and import that profile.
... See more
Hi Jennifer,

You can use multiple languages in the professional version, but you have to create separate profiles for each and you must have selected all the languages you want to use upon installation. Supposedly you can add a language after installation using the .exe or installation CD, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

If you've already set up a profile, you can always save that, re-install Dragon with the appropriate languages, and import that profile.

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Kat
Collapse

Jennifer Richmond
Jennifer Richmond  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2018)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Thanks Aug 31, 2021

This is the information I needed.

Time to invest some money I guess.

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A solution even for minor languages, made specifically to suit translators' needs Apr 27, 2022

If you are looking for something made specifically for translators, you might have a look at Bohemicus that's been created specifically for translators to suit their translator's needs.
See it in action here:
https://youtu.be/V7RzOhwKqGo

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting and will check Apr 27, 2022

This one seems to be quite straightforward. I will have a look! Thank you so much.

Jan Kapoun wrote:

If you are looking for something made specifically for translators, you might have a look at Bohemicus that's been created specifically for translators to suit their translator's needs.
See it in action here:
https://youtu.be/V7RzOhwKqGo

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Please let me know should you need any help with Bohemicus Apr 29, 2022

Lenah Susianty wrote:

This one seems to be quite straightforward. I will have a look! Thank you so much.

Yes, it works nicely. Please note you need to Bluetooth pair your phone with you computer first. Bohemicus should then connect to your PC/laptop automatically. If working with a desktop PC, you will probably need a Bluetooth adapter (costs about EUR 10-20). The phone/PC connection also works with Wi-Fi, but Bluetooth is much better and quicker solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon speech recognition on SDL Trados Studio?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »