Speech recognition software
Thread poster: Irène Guinez
Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 11:52
German to English
David's set up Feb 23, 2010

David could you perhaps enlarge a little on your work flow with dictation device and Dragon. How do the two integrate?

(Edit for typo)

[Edited at 2010-02-23 09:20 GMT]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
DNS 10 Feb 23, 2010

I've been using DNS 10 for a couple of months, and I'm reasonably happy with it. I find I have to speak slower than normal so that it understands me, which is OK for translation but not for writing directly in English (I'm typing this, for example). I started using it as I've been having some problems with tendinitis in my shoulder, and it (as well as getting a trackball mouse and regularly swapping my mouse hand about) has certainly helped. I'm not sure if it's improved my translation speed: I ... See more
I've been using DNS 10 for a couple of months, and I'm reasonably happy with it. I find I have to speak slower than normal so that it understands me, which is OK for translation but not for writing directly in English (I'm typing this, for example). I started using it as I've been having some problems with tendinitis in my shoulder, and it (as well as getting a trackball mouse and regularly swapping my mouse hand about) has certainly helped. I'm not sure if it's improved my translation speed: I think it's very document-dependent. On the whole, I don't think it's made much difference - I'm mainly using it as a preventive H&S measure.

My main bugbears are that it occasionally interprets something I've said in English as a command in Italian (I have no idea how - I have a UK English version, so I don't understand how it can interpret things as Italian in the first place), so I'll say e.g. "cap organisation" and it understands it as "taglia organisation", and either cuts the word out from where I've used it previously or, if it can't find it, sits there and sulks at me. This is extremely annoying, especially if I don't notice what it's up to straightaway.

I also seem to be incapable of saying "full stop" in a way that it understands - it keeps on adding the word "stop" at the end of my sentences. I've now resorted to saying "dot", which works most of the time. (I disabled the automatic sentence recognition because I pause too often to make it workable).

I also have occasional problems with wrong but plausible word errors: yesterday I was translating a document containing both "proteome" and "protein", and on at least one occasion Dragon got mixed up between them (or maybe it was me!).
But normally, as Patricia says, DNS's errors are so obvious there's little danger of sending them off to the client without spotting them.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Flemish to English
+ ...
Voice-registration to text-conversion Feb 23, 2010

Is there a cheap tool to convert voice-registration .wav/mp3 to text?
The more expensive versions of Dragon have this.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
The cheapest of them all... Feb 23, 2010

Williamson wrote:

Is there a cheap tool to convert voice-registration .wav/mp3 to text?
The more expensive versions of Dragon have this.

I suppose DNS does it in a more automated way etc., but if you want to go really cheap route you can connect the input of your soundcard with its output using a cable (mini-jack to mini-jack). Then, whenever you play back your wav file in any program, DNS will be fooled that the sound comes from the microphone.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dragon and CAT tools Feb 23, 2010

I too am considering VRS of some description and was wondering if it can be used in conjunction with a CAT tool, in my case WF Classic.
If so, what is the set-up?
Thanks

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
I use DNS 10 with WF Classic Feb 23, 2010

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I too am considering VRS of some description and was wondering if it can be used in conjunction with a CAT tool, in my case WF Classic.
If so, what is the set-up?
Thanks

It's no problem: I just use WF as normal (toolbar and/or keyboard commands) and dictate (instead of typing) into the box. The only thing you have to remember is to say "cap" before the first word, as DNS doesn't recognise that it's the start of a sentence. Apart from that, it's no different from working without WF.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dragon with WF Feb 23, 2010

Thank you very much Marie-Hélène.
Interesting to see how many of us have physical problems, possibly work-related.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:52
Spanish
+ ...
Microphone Feb 23, 2010

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the microphone. Having a quality microphone makes all the difference with term recognition. If you decide to buy get Dragon, buy a new mic. If you decide to use a 3.5mm mic (non-USB), get a sound card to avoid contaminating the input sound with the sound of the hard-drive, fans, etc. The mic that comes in the box is only OK but, eventually, the time you spend correcting the text and training the software will end up costing you more than the price of the mic it... See more
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the microphone. Having a quality microphone makes all the difference with term recognition. If you decide to buy get Dragon, buy a new mic. If you decide to use a 3.5mm mic (non-USB), get a sound card to avoid contaminating the input sound with the sound of the hard-drive, fans, etc. The mic that comes in the box is only OK but, eventually, the time you spend correcting the text and training the software will end up costing you more than the price of the mic itself.

There is a website that has a great comparison of different kinds of mics. Some of them are specially for the professional versions of DNS and overkill for the Standard and Preferred edition; you have to judge for yourself or post a question in the forums. I tried several mics before getting the Wireless Plantronics CS55 and most of the mistakes the software makes are caused by my bad pronunciation. My advice would be to get your mic from a local store so you can return it if you don't see an improvement.

I use DNS mainly to avoid carpal tunnel symptom and back/neck pains so I love DNS, the pain is 100% gone. I still use the keyboard because my touch typing was getting really bad but only on occasions or when I want to use Studio's autosuggestions.

Edit: I forgot to say that I also use DNS to proofread my translations. I use the text-to-speech feature and DNS reads the text back to me. Reading and hearing the text makes it easier to spot mistakes or typos. By the way Tomás, I remember that you liked that idea. I reckon it didn't go to well after all.

[Edited at 2010-02-23 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
Mike Feb 23, 2010

Claudia Alvis wrote:

There is a website that has a great comparison of different kinds of mics. Some of them are specially for the professional versions of DNS and overkill for the Standard and Preferred edition; you have to judge for yourself or post a question in the forums. I tried several mics before getting the Wireless Plantronics CS55 and most of the mistakes the software makes are caused by my bad pronunciation. My advice would be to get your mic from a local store so you can return it if you don't see an improvement.

I bought DNS with the Plantronics Calisto bluetooth headset, which isn't mentioned in your link, Claudia. A quick Google seems to suggest that most people like it, though.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
The Swedish version of DNS Mar 3, 2010

is not very good
because:

It does not exist!

Mats

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:52
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
2 questions - DNS 10 Preferred or Professional Spanish and French May 18, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I mostly translate into Spanish or French from English.

Can I purchase DNS 10 Preferred Spanish (with English) and also buy DNS 10 Preferred French (with English) without the two programs interfering, slowing each other down? I undestand there is no software package combining Fr/Sp/En, am I right?

Could you please help me have a sense of the advantage of the Professional over the Preferred version. Is the vocabulary handled by the Preferred
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I mostly translate into Spanish or French from English.

Can I purchase DNS 10 Preferred Spanish (with English) and also buy DNS 10 Preferred French (with English) without the two programs interfering, slowing each other down? I undestand there is no software package combining Fr/Sp/En, am I right?

Could you please help me have a sense of the advantage of the Professional over the Preferred version. Is the vocabulary handled by the Preferred so poor that it requires huge doses of "training", whereas the Professional version would naturally posess a very rich vocabulary and limit the time needed to input new words? Anybody knows what dictionaries, if any, are both versions based upon?

Many thanks!
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 03:52
English
Answer for Hugo May 19, 2010

Hugo,

You will probably need to purchase both French and Spanish from a UK VAR such as Graham Henry at [email protected] or Petter Maddern at [email protected] but I believe you can install both applications on the same computer. Unfortunately, it's been a while and I'm not 100% certain. In either event, these 2 VARs will know the an
... See more
Hugo,

You will probably need to purchase both French and Spanish from a UK VAR such as Graham Henry at [email protected] or Petter Maddern at [email protected] but I believe you can install both applications on the same computer. Unfortunately, it's been a while and I'm not 100% certain. In either event, these 2 VARs will know the answer.

There is no difference in the speech engines or the vocabulary between DNS Pro DNS Preferred. It is the additional utilities and features that differentiate DNS Preferred from DNS Pro. See the NaturallySpeaking Comparison Matrix ~ http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/product-matrix.asp for specifics.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer,Inc.
Collapse

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:52
Danish to English
Macspeech May 20, 2010

I have been using this speech recognition program for several weeks now, and I am very happy with it. My work speed has increased dramatically, though I admit that being a two finger typist has a lot to do with that.
My procedure is to open the document I am working on, and drag it off to one side of a wide format monitor (that is hooked to my Macbook). Then I open Macspeech, and use the Notepad window to speak into. This is recommended, and my experience is that it works best that way. I
... See more
I have been using this speech recognition program for several weeks now, and I am very happy with it. My work speed has increased dramatically, though I admit that being a two finger typist has a lot to do with that.
My procedure is to open the document I am working on, and drag it off to one side of a wide format monitor (that is hooked to my Macbook). Then I open Macspeech, and use the Notepad window to speak into. This is recommended, and my experience is that it works best that way. I drag the Notepad over onto the large screen, and position it alongside the main document. I still have room for the little character viewer, and the Macspeech controls. This way I can see both documents at the same time, and don't need any paper.
Then I take a paragraph or two at a time, "speak" them as I translate, and then copy and paste from the notepad into the main document, right on top of what I had just translated. It is fast and easy. Then I have a chance to make small corrections or changes as needed.
It does take some getting used to. I have found that the hardest thing is to just slow down and take enough time to properly translate an entire sentence, flipping the word order around in my head as required.
Collapse

JH Trads
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
installing two different DNS 10 versions May 29, 2010

I appreciate your answers Tom and Brian. However I already purchased the Spanish version which by the way works beyond my expectations. In fact I'm using it right now because it also comes with English. At this point my question is whether I can now purchase the French version, and if installing it on my computer will interfere with the Spanish version or otherwise noticeably slow down my computer. In other words, will my computer be able to support two different DNS 10 versions? Thanks in advan... See more
I appreciate your answers Tom and Brian. However I already purchased the Spanish version which by the way works beyond my expectations. In fact I'm using it right now because it also comes with English. At this point my question is whether I can now purchase the French version, and if installing it on my computer will interfere with the Spanish version or otherwise noticeably slow down my computer. In other words, will my computer be able to support two different DNS 10 versions? Thanks in advance Tom and Brian, or any other colleague, if you could share your experience about this issue.

[Edited at 2010-05-29 19:13 GMT]
Collapse

JH Trads
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
French DNS after Spanish DNS Jun 1, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I have installed this Spanish DNS version, and apparently it is not possible to install the French DNS version on the same computer, so I was told by a customer representative...

Does anybody know if it is possible to install another brand of voice recognition software on a computer where DNS is already installed for another language. If so, would you know by any chance a good French voice recognition software from another company than Nuance?
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have installed this Spanish DNS version, and apparently it is not possible to install the French DNS version on the same computer, so I was told by a customer representative...

Does anybody know if it is possible to install another brand of voice recognition software on a computer where DNS is already installed for another language. If so, would you know by any chance a good French voice recognition software from another company than Nuance?

Or is the only solution have each language installed on a separate computer?

I guess a software combining English French and Spanish does not exist yet, let alone a software that would be able to switch immediately from one language to the next within a same sentence...

Many thanks!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speech recognition software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »