Thread poster: Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Local time: 23:49
Member (2006)
German to English
May 17, 2022

There are a few threads on this subject in the various forums but they are quite old. Maybe there are some better options now.

What is the best tool for converting PDFs into Word so that I can translate using Studio? Some of the PDFs I have to translate are scans of certificates etc. that contain tricky formatting, such as columns, tables etc.

I've tried using the option in Word itself and the option in Studio but there are so many formatting issues that I really need s
... See more
There are a few threads on this subject in the various forums but they are quite old. Maybe there are some better options now.

What is the best tool for converting PDFs into Word so that I can translate using Studio? Some of the PDFs I have to translate are scans of certificates etc. that contain tricky formatting, such as columns, tables etc.

I've tried using the option in Word itself and the option in Studio but there are so many formatting issues that I really need something better.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

[Edited at 2022-05-18 07:01 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Studio itself, or manually May 17, 2022

Louise Mawbey wrote:
What is the best tool for converting PDFs into Word so that I can translate using Studio?

In my experience, Studio's own conversion is better than that of any OCR program I've tried.

Some of the PDFs I have to translate are scans of certificates etc. that contain tricky formatting, such as columns, tables etc.

There comes a point at which the PDF is so unconvertable that you just have to recreate it manually, in Word. When I translate diplomas etc., I take a screenshot of the file, add it as a watermark in Word, then retype the source text and position it over the watermark, and then remove the watermark.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nitro Pro May 17, 2022

I use Nitro Pro, which works for most PDFs, but not the worst, terribly clunky and incompatible kind.
And I don't know about Studio, which is anathema to me.

Ramanpreet Singh

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:49
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Online tools May 17, 2022

C̳o̳n̳v̳e̳r̳t̳ S̳c̳a̳n̳n̳e̳d̳ P̳D̳F̳ t̳o̳ W̳o̳r̳d̳ Convert Scanned PDF to Word

I̼m̼a̼g̼e̼ t̼o̼ t̼e̼x̼t̼ c̼o̼n̼v̼e̼r̼t̼e̼r̼ u̼s̼i̼n̼g̼ O̼C̼R̼ o̼n̼l̼i̼n̼e̼ Image to text converter using OCR online

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Solid Documents Technology May 17, 2022

Studio uses Solid Converter blindly. It means that you can ocr a document with Solid Converter and then import the output as is into Studio. The effect will be the same. A better option could be using a stand-alone OCR app, then tidy up your document manually (or build it from scratch) and only then import it into Studio. This is what they recommended at rws community for better OCR output.

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:49
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
My work flow for scanned PDFs May 17, 2022

ABBYY Finereader -> Transtools -> Studio

expressisverbis
Gennady Lapardin

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:49
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
ABBYY Finereader May 17, 2022

It's quite expensive, but I use ABBYY Finereader, which can make outstanding conversions of most PDFs to Word. Its system of manual zoning of text, table and image areas, as well as the ability to place text over an image makes it very versatile.

Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Adam Dickinson
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Juan Manosalva
Sebastian Witte

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 22:49
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
More two: May 17, 2022

Abbyy already provided by others and PDF Element:

https://pdf.wondershare.net/thankyou/install-pdfelement-pro-windows.html

A reasonable free tool too:

https://www.onlineocr.net/pt/

Yaotl Altan

Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 19, 2022

Thanks for all the input. I'll try those solutions out and report back

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Foxit PhantomPDF is the best May 19, 2022

Very careful in creating Word docs, in my experience. Much better results than with many other brands.

expressisverbis
Platary (X)

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:49
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Abby vs Online OCR May 22, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
https://www.onlineocr.net/pt/

Abbyy Finereader is very good for isolating various parts of documents, but it tends to get complex tables and combinations of texts and images wrong (a mix of tables and overlapping boxes, specially too many independent boxes spread all over the place).

Online OCR has been giving me the best results overall, plus it's free. I haven't read their Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, but I would be very careful when submitting sensitive documents.

[Edited at 2022-05-22 00:14 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 22:49
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Privacy Sep 20, 2022

Mario Cerutti wrote:
I haven't read their Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, but I would be very careful when submitting sensitive documents.

[Edited at 2022-05-22 00:14 GMT]

"Secure conversion
All documents uploaded under the free "Guest" account will be deleted automatically after conversion. Output files for registered users are stored one month"
https://www.onlineocr.net/

Privacy Policy
We will not view the files that you upload using the OnlineOCR.net service. We may view your file`s information (file extensions, sizes etc. but not your file contents) to provide technical support.
https://www.onlineocr.net/service/privacypolicy

In the past, I used it rarely, as a guest, and I wasn't registered with OnlineOCR.net.
And, yes, I am very careful. The software I use is Abbyy, and I know Foxit and PDFElement deliver also good results.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF conversion

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »