Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 30, 2008

I've recently upgraded my anti-virus software to AVG Free Version 8, which seems to work well. However, it tells me it has found "146 warnings". Does anyone know what these "warnings" mean - is it anything to worry about, am I supposed to do anything about them and, if so, what?
Thanks in advance for advice.
Jenny

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tracking Cookies Jun 30, 2008

Hi Jenny,

I have the same version of AVG and so far the only warnings that have ever cropped up have been tracking cookies. These can be removed by opening the main AVG user interface, clicking on History --> Scan results, selecting the most recent scan and clicking View details. You can then select the Warnings tab and remove the warnings by selecting them and clicking on the Remove selected infections button.

Good luck!

Becky.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably just cookies Jul 1, 2008

My previous anti-virus software used to classify everything as a 'threat' - it was only when I had a closer look at so-called 'threat' that I realised they were only low-level tracking cookies (generally).

My new anti-virus just runs everything in the background and doesn't bother you unless there's something urgent.

It's worth taking the time to get to know the software you are using and how it reacts to different stuff (for want of a better word).

Bye.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:12
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Moving this thread... Jul 1, 2008

... to the Safe Computing forum

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, but ... Jul 1, 2008

Thank you, John and Rebecca, but what I meant was:
does it matter if I don't do anything about these "warnings"? They (cookies, or whatever they may be) don't seem to be causing any problems at the moment. Is it all right just to leave them be? But then, why does AVG issue these "warnings" if they're nothing to worry about? I'm really as green as grass where this kind of thing is concerned, as you can see.
Regards,
Jenny.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cookies Jul 2, 2008

Hi again Jenny,

These cookies are used when you surf the Web for authentication purposes or to save information about how you use your browser. This information could be, say, your language preferences for Proz.com or what you have in your shopping trolley at the online supermarket.

They are not actually spyware or viruses, just data about your browsing habits, although there are often worries about how this data could be used. Removing them will do no harm, but leavin
... See more
Hi again Jenny,

These cookies are used when you surf the Web for authentication purposes or to save information about how you use your browser. This information could be, say, your language preferences for Proz.com or what you have in your shopping trolley at the online supermarket.

They are not actually spyware or viruses, just data about your browsing habits, although there are often worries about how this data could be used. Removing them will do no harm, but leaving them there shouldn't harm you or your computer either.

Wikipedia has quite a comprehensive page about tracking cookies here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Hope that helps!

Becky.
Collapse

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:12
English to Finnish
+ ...
Check your log file Jul 2, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I've recently upgraded my anti-virus software to AVG Free Version 8, which seems to work well. However, it tells me it has found "146 warnings". Does anyone know what these "warnings" mean - is it anything to worry about, am I supposed to do anything about them and, if so, what?

In order to know for certain what those warnings are about, you need to check your log file.

I am not familiar with AVG, but it is often possible to view the log directly by selecting something like "more info" while viewing the condensed results.

[Edited at 2008-07-02 08:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AVG "warnings"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »