Thread poster: Gabriela Iacoboni
Gabriela Iacoboni
Gabriela Iacoboni
Local time: 20:24
SITE STAFF
Aug 29, 2023

CPD

Dear members,

Earlier this year, a feature was released to allow you to report, track, and display your continuing professional development (CPD) using your ProZ.com profile.

As promised in that previous announcement, a CPD points system is being developed, so that you can accumulate and display points earned along with your continuing professional development activities.

Here is how it works:

• When a CPD activity you have added has been verified, the points allotted for that activity will also be shown next to the entry.
  • If a CPD entry has not been verified, you will only see the potential points which would be allotted upon verification (these potential points are not displayed publicly).
  • CPD points will tally up on a yearly basis and be displayed as "verified points earned" for each year and each category, as well as appearing in the general overview of your CPD at the top of your display page.

Remember that CPD entry verification is available for paying ProZ.com members, so earning verified points will also be restricted to those who are members. Non-members will only see potential verified points.

Those who have participated in other CPD systems probably already know that no point system is perfect. The point breakdown proposed to begin with is as follows:

• Online events: 1 point per hour (limit of 5 points per event)
  • In-person events: 2 points per hour (limit of 10 points per event)
  • Courses: 1 point per hour per course completed (limit of 3 points per course)
  • Pro bono work: 1 point per 3,000 words (translation) or per hour (interpreting)
  • Articles: 2 points for every article published
  • Presentations/papers: 3 points per (unique) presentation given or per paper published
  • Exams/certifications: 5 points
  • Books: 5 points per book published
  • Mentorships: 6 points for every mentorship completed

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Gabriela
ProZ.com training, tools, events and certification

CPD-related FAQs»

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:24
Danish to English
+ ...
I despair at this box-ticking bureaucracy Aug 29, 2023

The main problem with this CPD bureaucracy is that the main source of learning, improvement through work experience, does not count at all. This is how you really develop, not through glaring at an online event for one hour.

Many people learn better through actual work than through organised learning. By counting points, you just make the latter look much better and more professional when it isn't.

Also please explain how pro-bono work improves someone's skills more tha
... See more
The main problem with this CPD bureaucracy is that the main source of learning, improvement through work experience, does not count at all. This is how you really develop, not through glaring at an online event for one hour.

Many people learn better through actual work than through organised learning. By counting points, you just make the latter look much better and more professional when it isn't.

Also please explain how pro-bono work improves someone's skills more than any other translation work. It's absolutely fine if some people want to do pro-bono work but I disagree that it should advance their Proz profile at the expense of colleagues who decide not to, for whatever reason. It is a main rule on Proz that posts should not be political, but counting pro-bono work as CPD is wokeness and virtue signalling as far as I'm concerned. Please keep that divisive ideology out of Proz, as you are likely to end up with an almighty row if you go down that road.

Edit: I have set my membership to manual renewal because of this wokery. If the wokery stays, I go. My renewal date is 21 September. I'm not going to pay you for advancing colleagues' profiles with wokery. Many people are afraid to speak up out of fear of being ‘cancelled’, me included, but enough is enough. Don’t get political, Proz! Observe your own rules, please!

[Edited at 2023-08-29 20:27 GMT]
Collapse

Heike Holthaus
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Tanja Oresnik

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Carrot and stick Aug 29, 2023

So, what's the carrot and what's the stick? What happens to translators who fail to collect sufficient CPD points? How are translators who collect enough CPD points rewarded. Would CPD points affect position in searches?

P.L.F. Persio

Gabriela Iacoboni
Gabriela Iacoboni
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the input, Thomas Aug 29, 2023

Hello, Thomas. I agree with you that years of experience are extremely important in professional development in any field, and this CPD point system aims to complement that field experience by recognizing research and training activities that are also crucial in the continuous professional development of a translator or interpreter.

This professional development can be achieved through various avenues, and it is generally a combination of different actions that each language profess
... See more
Hello, Thomas. I agree with you that years of experience are extremely important in professional development in any field, and this CPD point system aims to complement that field experience by recognizing research and training activities that are also crucial in the continuous professional development of a translator or interpreter.

This professional development can be achieved through various avenues, and it is generally a combination of different actions that each language professional chooses to undertake based on their interests and availability.

The fields included in this CPD point system attempt to best reflect that variety, not only in terms of personal choice but also in complexity and dedication, and that's what makes it versatile.
Collapse

Gabriela Iacoboni
Gabriela Iacoboni
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
There are no plans at the moment to apply CPD points to anything else. Aug 29, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

So, what's the carrot and what's the stick? What happens to translators who fail to collect sufficient CPD points? How are translators who collect enough CPD points rewarded. Would CPD points affect position in searches?

Hello, Samuel. This is still a "work in progress". There are no plans at the moment to apply CPD points to anything else, though there are potential applications: https://www.proz.com/faq/247936#247936

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Students or pros? Aug 30, 2023

Gabriela Iacoboni wrote:

So is Proz planning to give points for experience as well?
Otherwise there would be no complement.

I understand that on a platform like Proz it is difficult to prove your professionalism and skills.
But the whole "points" thing reminds me more of a school than a professional mindset,
which you often see these days, with a compelling need to express things in numbers and votes.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
Jennifer Levey
Tanja Oresnik
Maciek Drobka

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Gabriela Aug 30, 2023

Honestly, I don't see the point of a "CPD".
Discussions on forums like Proz, events organised by members, both virtual and face-to-face, updates and news of translation tools, among other things, learning and sharing knowledge among the community, reading articles and publications written by members, eLearning courses and other activities provided here, etc. don't they represent already a CPD?!
And what about our own daily translation tasks? Aren't they already a crucial continuing p
... See more
Honestly, I don't see the point of a "CPD".
Discussions on forums like Proz, events organised by members, both virtual and face-to-face, updates and news of translation tools, among other things, learning and sharing knowledge among the community, reading articles and publications written by members, eLearning courses and other activities provided here, etc. don't they represent already a CPD?!
And what about our own daily translation tasks? Aren't they already a crucial continuing professional development?!
I don't think it's of any use and I don't know to what extent this will be widely embraced by the community, unless it's important for newcomers and, instead of firing off questions on the forums like "What rate should I apply for language pair XX?", "How to create a termbase in YY?" "I've been scammed by company WW. What do to?", etc..." use this "system".
Some professions like translation require a large number of hours to be spent on CPD, which is obviously time-consuming.
On the other hand, CPD activities are free or low cost, but there are formal CPD courses that can be expensive...
And more points for what? Isn't there enough competition here already?
Proz has been a bit of a disappointment to me lately and, as stated by other colleagues, I don't know if I'll renew my membership, which expires next year. I wouldn't like to do that.
I'm in favour of self-development, progress and technology, but as long as it contributes to something positive and constructive for this community.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Jennifer Levey
Tanja Oresnik
Maciek Drobka
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Questions and comments Aug 30, 2023

Questions

1. The FAQ says: ‘For the most part, to be considered CPD, the activity or work should be non-commercial.’ What is the rationale for calling translation work CPD if it is unpaid but not if it is paid? It makes no sense.

2. Articles published: if someone creates a blog or posts blog posts or articles elsewhere about any topic, will they get points for eve
... See more
Questions

1. The FAQ says: ‘For the most part, to be considered CPD, the activity or work should be non-commercial.’ What is the rationale for calling translation work CPD if it is unpaid but not if it is paid? It makes no sense.

2. Articles published: if someone creates a blog or posts blog posts or articles elsewhere about any topic, will they get points for every blog post or articles?

3. Where is the evidence that ‘the continuous professional development of a translator or interpreter’ in exactly the ways Proz prescribes is ‘crucial’, but other types of development not?

Comments

FAQ: ‘In terms of using CPD to increase your client contact, think of it as one more way of differentiating yourself. Potential clients will be able to see that you are actively working to improve your skills and services when they visit your profile. At a later date, they may also be able to use CPD as an additional criterion when searching the directories for professionals, for example.

This is typical corporate management thinking, as it favours only certain organised and countable types of CPD but not others. It is box ticking. It presents the clients with a fake and superficial image of what CPD is.

It rewards conformity instead of competence and quality. It’s the type of management nonsense that I was so happy to be free of as a freelancer.

When I learn about how best to present a marketing text by going through a competent editor’s changes, how do you count that in your CPD system? Oh, not an organised event, so that type of learning doesn't count. If I read articles about finance to understand the subject better? Doesn’t count.

But if I nod through an ‘online event’ in a sleepy or distracted state, I get points. This has nothing to do with professionalism or CPD and everything to do with mindless bureaucracy, simplistic management ideology and make-believe.

When I suggest things translators might actually need, such as a tailored and negotiated liability insurance with a cover suitable for our international activity or a negotiated package rate for accessing a credit rating agency, I am ignored. And then you waste your resources, which is not going to make anyone better at anything, on this distorted points nonsense instead.

Edit: how interesting that the topic format has been changed from standard format to the nonsensical term 'inclusive', which simply excludes more than two posts without being 'inclusive' in any way. Proz clearly does not want to hear criticism or listen to its (paying) members. Don't worry, I won't be for much longer.

[Edited at 2023-08-31 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Barbara Carrara
Beata Baika
Tanja Oresnik
Zea_Mays

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Gabriela Aug 30, 2023

Working as a translator is a never-ending learning process and my CPD has mainly been done every day with each job I complete. Some of these projects can be quite short and simple, others are long and complex requiring reading a lot of books and consulting laws and regulations on the subject. One of the problems I see with this point system is that rookie translators by definition need more CPD than veteran translators. So, it will be discriminatory against us “oldies”. I took part on a lot ... See more
Working as a translator is a never-ending learning process and my CPD has mainly been done every day with each job I complete. Some of these projects can be quite short and simple, others are long and complex requiring reading a lot of books and consulting laws and regulations on the subject. One of the problems I see with this point system is that rookie translators by definition need more CPD than veteran translators. So, it will be discriminatory against us “oldies”. I took part on a lot of courses, conferences, webinars and meetups when I was working as staff translator for the EU (1986-2006). But nowadays, working as a freelancer I have no time nor disposition for the kind of CPD you’re describing. Am I less of a translator because of that?Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Barbara Carrara
Beata Baika
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Experience of CPD in another incarnation Aug 31, 2023

In my last incarnation as a secondary school teacher, I had to attend compulsory CPD days. They were never relevant to my subjects - languages - so a day, which could have been used for useful purposes, was wasted.

As a self-employed translator, am I really going to take the chance that I miss out on a project, which will then be offered to someone else, while I have forked out good money for "training", which may or not prove useful?

Everyday experience of translation
... See more
In my last incarnation as a secondary school teacher, I had to attend compulsory CPD days. They were never relevant to my subjects - languages - so a day, which could have been used for useful purposes, was wasted.

As a self-employed translator, am I really going to take the chance that I miss out on a project, which will then be offered to someone else, while I have forked out good money for "training", which may or not prove useful?

Everyday experience of translation – doing our job - is real CPD.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Tanja Oresnik
Giovana Zaltron
P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Continuing professional development (CPD) points system now available

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »