Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Introducing AI to KudoZ: human expertise and AI combined in support of the most helpful answer
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Aug 16, 2023

Hello members,

It is now possible to post KudoZ questions and receive not only translation help from language experts, but also a suggested translation generated by AI technology (ChatGPT) as another source of input.

To obtain an AI-generated KudoZ answer, askers need to check the “AI-generated
... See more

Hello members,

It is now possible to post KudoZ questions and receive not only translation help from language experts, but also a suggested translation generated by AI technology (ChatGPT) as another source of input.

To obtain an AI-generated KudoZ answer, askers need to check the “AI-generated answer” box available in the KudoZ question form (step 2):

Selecting this option will automatically prompt ChatGPT to propose a translation of the source term using information provided by the asker (context included). The AI will also provide an explanation and set its own confidence level.

AI-generated answers will be marked as such within the KudoZ answer itself so that it becomes clear that this is not an answer by a human expert. Other KudoZ participants can peer grade the AI-generated answer, and the asker can select it as the most helpful if this is the case. KudoZ points granted to the AI will not count for directory ranking.

For more information about AI-generated KudoZ answers and how they are built, click here (FAQs).

I hope you find this useful. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Best regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Local time: 07:44
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
I could not find it on Kudoz Aug 18, 2023

Is it available to the language pair of English and Chinese? I tried to post a question on Kudoz a few minutes ago, but I could not find the option for AI answers.

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
I just checked again Aug 18, 2023

I checked again just now, but I still could not find the option for AI generated answers.

ScreenHunter_1

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Is it member-only? Aug 18, 2023

I can’t see it either. While you’re there, it might be time to remove the Covid bit too.

Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
philgoddard

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:44
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Yuemin Aug 18, 2023

I just checked and found that the option is only available in the new interface (I use the - IMO better - old one too).

@ Proz staff: Is this behaviour deliberate?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-08-18 10:27 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Problem resolved Aug 18, 2023

I posted the question on Kudoz in the new interface a few minutes ago, and ChatGPT provided an answer very quickly. Thank you @Zea_Mays.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
That's right Aug 18, 2023

As Zea_Mays correctly points out, the option to generate Ai KudoZ answers is only available in the new version of the KudoZ question form. And, yes, this is intentional. Eventually, the old version will no longer be supported and the new one will be the only one (there is no set date though).

Lucia

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Suggestion for AI generated answers Aug 19, 2023

I suggest that the notes from the asker or reply from the asker should be sent to ChatGPT for consideration to improve its answer. Perhaps the machine linguist can improve his answer through the interaction, and we can grow together in this way.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:44
Greek to English
Old interface Aug 19, 2023

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Eventually, the old version will no longer be supported and the new one will be the only one (there is no set date though).

Lucia

Please, please, PLEASE don't do that. I much prefer the old interface.

Or at least put it off for as long as possible.

Thanks.

P.S. The fact that it doesn't include the distracting ChatGPT option only reinforces my preference.

Barbara Carrara
Elena Feriani
Alison MacG
Lingua 5B
Jocelyne Cuenin
P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yuemin Aug 19, 2023

Yuemin Chen wrote:
I posted the question on Kudoz in the new interface a few minutes ago, and ChatGPT provided an answer very quickly.

Ah, yes, you've obtained a 'very quick' answer from it, but is it the correct one, though?
Not only is the answer preceded by 'A translation would be', which I guess will become a leit motiv with this 'user', but it is extremely long. Is ChatGPT allowed more space than us? Wasn't there once a word limit?

https://tinyurl.com/2y93v3dz

I don't speak Chinese, but considering that you had to adjust its answer in the 'Note to answerer' window, therefore wasting yout time to help the AI, its 'performance' doesn't strike me as very successful.

Yuemin Chen wrote:
I suggest that the notes from the asker or reply from the asker should be sent to ChatGPT for consideration to improve its answer. Perhaps the machine linguist can improve his answer through the interaction, and we can grow together in this way.

Of course, let's do that, so that by improving the AI, we can say goodbye to our jobs for good. I have no desire to 'grow together' with the AI, and even less to 'interact' with it. Thanks, but definitely no, thanks.

Almost invariably, ChatGPT's answers have a top confidence of 5, but provide no links and no reference to support them, which we instead are required to do. Some of those answers have already garnered a number of Disagrees from human translators. To which, needless to say, it doesn't reply, with no interaction (see above) with its human 'colleagues'. How frustrating.
Instead, there are translators who are already duplicating the ChatGPT answers within the same KudoZ. Which is even more annoying.

I have checked the test profile page ProZ created for ChatGPT. ProZ, are you taking the mickey?

Next, ProZ 'member' ChatGPT will be bidding for jobs. And get them.

Hopefully, we can opt out of this nonsense, which once again, proves how ProZ is not on our side.
What a sorry state of affairs.

Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Aurélien ARPAZ
Jennifer Levey
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Would be... Aug 19, 2023

...a test under realistic conditions: What will be left for us with DeepL and ChatGTP as a fact in today's translation world and how good are these systems actually? We should bear in mind that today nearly all (end) clients are aware of these systems and their effects on saving costs and that they already use them in their daily routines. It may be frustrating for the majority of full-time freelancers, but there are still chances left for the skilled among us, who have or got a strong backgroun... See more
...a test under realistic conditions: What will be left for us with DeepL and ChatGTP as a fact in today's translation world and how good are these systems actually? We should bear in mind that today nearly all (end) clients are aware of these systems and their effects on saving costs and that they already use them in their daily routines. It may be frustrating for the majority of full-time freelancers, but there are still chances left for the skilled among us, who have or got a strong background in the subjects to translate when the source texts are poorly written and/or unclear. This is the gap where a translator still could step in with queries of all sorts.Collapse

Inge Schumacher

Yuemin Chen
Yuemin Chen
China
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
I have changed to support the machines Aug 19, 2023

I can understand the frustration, but the trend of the machines is unstoppable. I have felt it, as I turned down machine translation post editing projects, and I was crushed by this trend a few years ago. I have changed to support the machines since then, and hence machine linguists. The translation industry is heading to rebirth, and it is a difficult time before that. Perhaps human linguists and machine linguists will have separate space for survival in the translation industry in the end, but... See more
I can understand the frustration, but the trend of the machines is unstoppable. I have felt it, as I turned down machine translation post editing projects, and I was crushed by this trend a few years ago. I have changed to support the machines since then, and hence machine linguists. The translation industry is heading to rebirth, and it is a difficult time before that. Perhaps human linguists and machine linguists will have separate space for survival in the translation industry in the end, but I do not know when it will happen. @BarbaraCollapse

Inge Schumacher

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lucia Aug 19, 2023

Echoing what Philip Lees said PLEASE, PLEASE leave the old interface alone! Why change what has been working perfectly well and is preferred by many of us? Other things need a complete makeover: may I speak for the umpteenth time of the translation contest? I have been a very active member since 2007, but the day the old version will no longer be supported and the new one will be the only one (I do hope it’s a long way off), I will be a less active member or I’ll even stop being a member and... See more
Echoing what Philip Lees said PLEASE, PLEASE leave the old interface alone! Why change what has been working perfectly well and is preferred by many of us? Other things need a complete makeover: may I speak for the umpteenth time of the translation contest? I have been a very active member since 2007, but the day the old version will no longer be supported and the new one will be the only one (I do hope it’s a long way off), I will be a less active member or I’ll even stop being a member and I'm afraid I won’t be the only one…

[Edited at 2023-08-19 14:42 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Barbara Carrara
Yvonne Gallagher
Alison MacG
Michele Fauble

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 00:44
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't see it... Aug 19, 2023

I must be very fortunate or not because I don't see this option in either the old or the new version.
I've just read an "aberration" of an answer from an asker on Kudoz that gave me a good laugh. I don't think it was the result of AI... or was it?

Christopher Schröder

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Sadly, golden boys and girls (as in Golden Girls with Blanche, Sofia etc.) no longer rule Aug 19, 2023

Teresa, you are in the top 5 I admire and trust the most here, and I'm sure that I'm not alone. But I wonder, what percentage do Proz members and users over, say, 60+ make on the overall Proz scale? I don't have any statistics but I have a sneaking suspicion that the number will be pretty low. Have you ever wondered where all those job offers go in 30 seconds? That's where the masses are, and the money with them.

Proz is getting ready to serve another generations in another age. It
... See more
Teresa, you are in the top 5 I admire and trust the most here, and I'm sure that I'm not alone. But I wonder, what percentage do Proz members and users over, say, 60+ make on the overall Proz scale? I don't have any statistics but I have a sneaking suspicion that the number will be pretty low. Have you ever wondered where all those job offers go in 30 seconds? That's where the masses are, and the money with them.

Proz is getting ready to serve another generations in another age. It must get aggressive and win a very strong position on the AI translation market; otherwise it will be out of business so fast it won't be even funny. Percentage of the clients looking for one-of-a-kind, expensive, hand-crafting translators must be even lower and dropping. No clients - no business. Whatever the oldtimers have obtained over a few decades will stay with them, hopefully for some time, but the waves of newbies will be just as aggressive in adapting "to the machines" or they shouldn't even start. They won't be able to make any MT/AI-free living because they have nothing to show for themselves and can't demand "human" rates and due dates in today's environment. Plus, younger generations love technology much more than we do, and "hard manual labor" of thinking and researching before writing - much less than we do. Right now we are sort of in-between and there are many excellent translators, very proficient in all that new technology but I'm afraid that a) they are not very young also, and b) the easiness of getting any answer in 1 second will impose its heavy toll on future trends...

I'm out and I'm glad.

Respectfully,
Irina
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Maciek Drobka
Mariusz Kuklinski
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introducing AI to KudoZ: human expertise and AI combined in support of the most helpful answer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »