For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Breaking into the book translation market (Workshop)

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Breaking into the book translation market (Workshop)".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Gioia Marini
Gioia Marini  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:58
Member (2016)
Dutch to English
Question about workshop Breaking into the book translation market Feb 6, 2023

I would like to edit/translate more books in the academic sector, specifically in the social sciences and humanities field (I have a strong background in international relations and Asian studies). Will this workshop cover how a freelancer should go about approaching established academic publishers?

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Book translation Feb 7, 2023

The best advice I can give is to plan to be independently wealthy. Book translations do not pay well. They are more in the realm of hobbies.

P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington
Miranda Drew

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Feb 7, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

The best advice I can give is to plan to be independently wealthy. Book translations do not pay well. They are more in the realm of hobbies.

I agree with this. I did some non-fiction book translations when I was starting out and it was not particularly lucrative but OK. Nowadays, people seem to do them for virtually nothing to build their reputation.

I'd love someone to tell me I'm wrong, but this is my impression.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Tenure Feb 7, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

You need to be a tenured professor in an American university. That's the only way for you to live whilst translating.

Corinne McKay
Corinne McKay  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
Member (2011)
French to English
To answer your questions... Feb 7, 2023

Hi there, this is Corinne, the class instructor, with a few thoughts for you:

-I've never translated for an academic press, but I will give information on how to contact publishers in general (via the acquisitions or foreign rights departments), and I believe that would be applicable to academic presses as well.

-In terms of the income potential from translating books, I think it's important to distinguish between book translation that pays little to nothing (often that
... See more
Hi there, this is Corinne, the class instructor, with a few thoughts for you:

-I've never translated for an academic press, but I will give information on how to contact publishers in general (via the acquisitions or foreign rights departments), and I believe that would be applicable to academic presses as well.

-In terms of the income potential from translating books, I think it's important to distinguish between book translation that pays little to nothing (often that applies to fiction, plays, poetry, etc.) and book translation that pays less than commercial translation but does pay somewhat decently. As an example, all of my direct clients pay 20-25 US cents per word, the few agencies I work for pay 14-16, and for non-fiction book translations I find that publishers will often offer around 10 US cents per word. I would never work for a commercial translation client for that rate, but for a large project with a long deadline, where you're earning probably $6,000-$9,000 total, I find it viable to translate one to two books per year.

-I do agree that if you want translate fiction, plays, poetry, etc. there is a lot of competition from people who really don't need the money (as someone mentioned, this is a common sideline for people who work in academia and might see a few hundred dollars as a totally acceptable payment for translating a book). And you'll see sites like Babelcube based only on royalties, where I would assume that most of the translators are earning little to nothing. However I do find a pretty steady flow of non-fiction book translation work at around 10 US cents per word.

Let me know if that helps!
Corinne McKay
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Breaking into the book translation market (Workshop)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »