For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
SDL Trados now runs natively on Mac OS? Confusing thumbnail
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:27
English to French
+ ...
Apr 19, 2022

I think I missed something; AFAIK SDL Trados runs only on natively Windows. The only way to have it run on a MAC would be inside a Virtual Machine running Windows.
However, browsing I stumbled upon this training page on ProZ where every thumbnail clearly shows an Apple Keyboard being used (CMD key). Does this seem confusing to you? https://training.proz.com/cat-tool-training

It’s highly unlikely that SDL will ever run natively on MAC because of the programming language used to write the tool (beside it being a good tool). Unless there was a big change that I’ve missed, it’s still the case.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a thumbnail such as this for cross-platform desktop tools like (from A to Z) CafeTran, OmegaT or Wordfast Pro.
Collapse

Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
Re: Apr 19, 2022

Nah, they just used the wrong image

Philippe Locquet

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:27
English to Russian
If it was true, Apr 19, 2022

they would put it in big bold letters everywhere in their 'Infographic' and other promo materials. Just a marketing cheat.

Philippe Locquet
Tom in London

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS .NET Apr 19, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

they would put it in big bold letters everywhere in their 'Infographic' and other promo materials. Just a marketing cheat.

That's exactly what I thought. SDL is programmed based on Microsoft components, this doc https://docs.rws.com/binary/813470/807239/trados-studio-2021-sr2/sdl-trados-studio-installation-guide? on page 17 (23 of the pdf) under "Prerequisite software" shows that you need to have these Microsoft components present to execute the software.
To make it cross-platform would mean a rewrite of the tool which would be a massive undertaking, it's probably easier to go web-based. So, I think it's highly unlikely this will ever happen, but again, you never know 😉…

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fast! Apr 20, 2022

Wow, they just updated all thumbnails with a PC keyboard
https://training.proz.com/cat-tool-training

Thanks ProZ! Fast fix. Kudos.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados now runs natively on Mac OS? Confusing thumbnail

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »