Jose Ramon BG
Jose Ramon BG
Spain
Local time: 00:47
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2023

I am looking for a bit of help.

I work for an organisation where Word documents are the standard, and I am looking for a tool or add-on where I can have custom glossaries which interact with Microsoft Word, meaning the glossary entries pop up somehow when the term is highlighted in Word or the cursor is on the term. I know we would have that if we processed our Word files with a TM tool (I have extensive experience with Trados, Transit and DejaVu and their terminology suites), but
... See more
I am looking for a bit of help.

I work for an organisation where Word documents are the standard, and I am looking for a tool or add-on where I can have custom glossaries which interact with Microsoft Word, meaning the glossary entries pop up somehow when the term is highlighted in Word or the cursor is on the term. I know we would have that if we processed our Word files with a TM tool (I have extensive experience with Trados, Transit and DejaVu and their terminology suites), but unfortunately using these (or similar) tools not possible in many cases.

In an ideal scenario, we are talking about something that works with the native application, but I am open to explore options that work with the browser-based version of Word. We have Office 365 at work.

If you think you need more information to be able to help, please ask and I'll try to be as specific as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Macro Sep 14, 2023

This can be done via a macro or, in case of Word for Mac, with Keyboard Macro. See my post on the Ultimate Term Tool:

https://www2.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/355768-ultimate_term_tool.html

[Edited at 2023-09-15 04:05 GMT]

Jose Ramon BG
Jose Ramon BG
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Term look-up tool in Word? Sep 14, 2023

Thank you very much for your reply. However, I am looking for something slightly different. Maybe I did not explain myself clearly in my first post.

As far as I see, UTT is great to send new terminology to a text file as you work and I may incorporate it to my workflow for some projects, but now I would like to find a tool that helps me to look up my terminology from Word and if possible retrieve those hits into the text I am working on.

For example, I'd use "synonyms"
... See more
Thank you very much for your reply. However, I am looking for something slightly different. Maybe I did not explain myself clearly in my first post.

As far as I see, UTT is great to send new terminology to a text file as you work and I may incorporate it to my workflow for some projects, but now I would like to find a tool that helps me to look up my terminology from Word and if possible retrieve those hits into the text I am working on.

For example, I'd use "synonyms" or "intelligent search" from Microsoft if I could add and edit my own term entries. Another example of what I am looking for is the old Multiterm (when it worked with Word), but without Trados and Trados-tagged Word documents.

I have developed a very rusty macro but there must be better options out there.

I keep looking for options and I am thankful for all suggestions.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Covered Sep 15, 2023

Jose Ramon BG wrote:

but now I would like to find a tool that helps me to look up my terminology from Word and if possible retrieve those hits into the text I am working on.

It *does* offer retrieval and insertion into the document. Here is a demo of retrieval via typing, but retrieval by looking up the word at the text cursor is easy to add. Especially in Ms Word.

2gif

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sub TermHalen Sep 15, 2023

About twenty years ago, when I still translated in Ms Word, I created a retrieval and storage macro that used a gigantic table in a secondary document in the background: retrieval was blazing fast, even with 200,000+ entries at that time.

Jose Ramon BG
Jose Ramon BG
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a Mac user, so I keep searching Sep 15, 2023

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

UTT looks very promising, but I've just tried to install it and realised I needed KeyboardMaestro, which is for mac (I should have read more closely). Everything is Windows where I work, so unfortunately it is not a solution we can implement.

I am going to explain the technical background in more detail:
- We work on a Windows environment.
- We ha
... See more
Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

UTT looks very promising, but I've just tried to install it and realised I needed KeyboardMaestro, which is for mac (I should have read more closely). Everything is Windows where I work, so unfortunately it is not a solution we can implement.

I am going to explain the technical background in more detail:
- We work on a Windows environment.
- We have Office 365 and OneDrive, Teams, Sharepoint...
- We have to work on Word. We have TM tools, but more often than not TM tools are not an agile option because of the characteristics of the documents.
- Our user rights are limited by the IT Dept. I may be able to install some software, but for some other I may have to ask for permission from the IT people, and I may get it or not. Most of the tools I use to customise my own workflow are portable.

I keep searching. Any customisable glossary tool or add on that runs on Word (preferred option) or Word Online (we'll try).

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Macro was developed for Ms Word for Windows Sep 16, 2023

The terminology macro was developed for Word 97 on Windows at that time ...

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
XLOOKUP Sep 17, 2023

Save your terms in an Excel worksheet and retrieve it in Word via VBA:

https://www.automateexcel.com/vba/vlookup-xlookup/

Jose Ramon BG
Jose Ramon BG
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 20, 2023

Thanks for your suggestions and your time. I have to think about the options available.

Jose

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Custom terminology with MS Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »