Microsoft Office 365, ENTER key doesn't work (nor do up/down arrows)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 5, 2023

Hello everyone

I don't edit in Word 365 a lot, but a while ago I have started having this problem: the up/down arrows no longer worked. Today I discovered that pressing ENTER no longer inserts a line break (nor does it insert a list item when used inside a list). Repairing, resetting and reinstalling Office 365 doesn't have any effect. I also removed and uninstalled all add-ons -- still no effect. Disabled all anti-virus packages -- no effect.

I can use Shift+ENTER
... See more
Hello everyone

I don't edit in Word 365 a lot, but a while ago I have started having this problem: the up/down arrows no longer worked. Today I discovered that pressing ENTER no longer inserts a line break (nor does it insert a list item when used inside a list). Repairing, resetting and reinstalling Office 365 doesn't have any effect. I also removed and uninstalled all add-ons -- still no effect. Disabled all anti-virus packages -- no effect.

I can use Shift+ENTER (soft line break) and Ctrl+ENTER (section break) but not ENTER. So, as a workaround, I can use soft line breaks and then use Find/Replace to replace them with hard line breaks afterwards, but I'd really like to solve this problem.

Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks
Samuel

Added: TAB doesn't work either.

[Edited at 2023-07-05 10:36 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Temporary fix Jul 5, 2023

Temporary fix (that actually works): create a macro that inserts Chr (10), and assign that macro to e.g. Shift+Ctrl+NumPadAdd.

[Edited at 2023-07-05 09:35 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:14
Danish to English
+ ...
Support Jul 5, 2023

This sounds like a matter for Microsoft support.

I've never seen anything like it.

Do you have any hardware control software that remaps the keyboard? And are you using the correct input language (check the lower right of the screen, cycle between installed languages with Winkey+Space)?

Some months ago, I had an occasional problem with Alt codes that caused them to be repeated in memoQ and some other places. The problem suddenly disappeared as fast as it ar
... See more
This sounds like a matter for Microsoft support.

I've never seen anything like it.

Do you have any hardware control software that remaps the keyboard? And are you using the correct input language (check the lower right of the screen, cycle between installed languages with Winkey+Space)?

Some months ago, I had an occasional problem with Alt codes that caused them to be repeated in memoQ and some other places. The problem suddenly disappeared as fast as it arrived. I'm still clueless as to what caused it.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Jul 24, 2023

I've been unable to figure out what causes this. In the meantime, I've created these four macros and assigned new shortcut keys to them:

four macros for proz post

Curiously, the TAB key does work inside a table (to move between cells).

[For some reason, ProZ.com's forum software no longer allows posting macros in cleartext, hence the image.]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Works here Jul 24, 2023

Works here with Windows 10 (with latest updates):

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 10.44.07

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office 365, ENTER key doesn't work (nor do up/down arrows)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »