Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:43
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 13, 2022

Hi,
I have a subscription to MS Office 365, then I have the Softmaker Suite and Libre Office.
On the CAT side I have Cafetran, Wordfast PRO (for Mac), MemoQ 9.10, Studio 2022, DVX.
Here goes my question: Do I still need MS Office or can I unsubscribe it? Only app I would regret is OneNote, but Evernote does a good job, too.
Agreed, 69 €/year is not a big deal, but still ...

[Edited at 2022-09-13 12:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Sep 13, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:
I have a subscription to MS Office 365...

Since Microsoft stopped shipping a DOC/DOCX file viewer, having the full version of Office is the only way to view DOC/DOCX files in a trusted tool. Neither Softmaker Office nor LibreOffice is reliable at displaying all or most DOC/DOCX files.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reliable ...? Sep 13, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:
I have a subscription to MS Office 365...

Since Microsoft stopped shipping a DOC/DOCX file viewer, having the full version of Office is the only way to view DOC/DOCX files in a trusted tool. Neither Softmaker Office nor LibreOffice is reliable at displaying all or most DOC/DOCX files.

Thanks Samuel.
What do you mean by reliable? I never had any sort of problem, so far, with displaying DOC/DOCX files using Softmaker or LibreOffice.
Actually, I should be more precise: Is there any CAT tool among those mentioned that strictly "requires" MS Office?

[Edited at 2022-09-13 12:33 GMT]

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Do I still need MS Office or can I unsubscribe it? Sep 13, 2022

If I recall correctly, Trados Studio makes use of MS Word (part of Office 365) for grammar and spelling checks (F7). I don't know if it would be able to use, e.g., Libre Office instead.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Optional Sep 14, 2022

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:

If I recall correctly, Trados Studio makes use of MS Word (part of Office 365) for grammar and spelling checks (F7). I don't know if it would be able to use, e.g., Libre Office instead.

The spell checker in Trados can be either Hunspell (default) or Ms Office.

Wolfgang Schoene
Sebastian Witte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office 365 and CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »