Which font(s) do you use to notice tiny, hard-to-find typos?
Thread poster: Elisa Bottazzi
Elisa Bottazzi
Elisa Bottazzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2021

Sometimes (especially when I am tired) it is hard for me to detect small "typos", the ones that your spell checker does not detect as they are in fact correct words.

For instance, an "a" placed instead of an "e", an "l" instead of an "i", an "o" instead of an "a", and so on. Depending on the font, some letters can be visually very similar, therefore typos are harder to detect.

I would like to ask if you managed to find a kind of font that makes it easier to spot these
... See more
Sometimes (especially when I am tired) it is hard for me to detect small "typos", the ones that your spell checker does not detect as they are in fact correct words.

For instance, an "a" placed instead of an "e", an "l" instead of an "i", an "o" instead of an "a", and so on. Depending on the font, some letters can be visually very similar, therefore typos are harder to detect.

I would like to ask if you managed to find a kind of font that makes it easier to spot these kinds of mistakes - a font featuring unmistakable letters "a", "o", "e", etc.?

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 18:40
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Verdana Nov 15, 2021

I do prefer Verdana sans-serif because of its readability. Like Georgia, it was created specifically for computer screens. It’s a solid choice if you have large blocks of text, as experts generally agree that sans-serif fonts are easier to read on the screen.

Some other choices:
... See more
I do prefer Verdana sans-serif because of its readability. Like Georgia, it was created specifically for computer screens. It’s a solid choice if you have large blocks of text, as experts generally agree that sans-serif fonts are easier to read on the screen.

Some other choices:

https://www.vistaprint.com/hub/design-decoded-top-12-easy-read-fonts?couponAutoload=1&GP=11/15/2021%2013:19:34&GPS=6104322327&GNF=0
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not what you asked but ... Nov 15, 2021

Elisa Bottazzi wrote:

I would like to ask if you managed to find a kind of font that makes it easier to spot these kinds of mistakes - a font featuring unmistakable letters "a", "o", "e", etc.?

Thanks a lot!

... using the read aloud function can be good for finding typos that your eyes easily skip over when reading the text normally.

I've never tried changing the font.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zuzana Greksakova
Ester Vidal

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Candara 12 Nov 15, 2021

In Word 2003, I use Candara 12. I often zoom in to 200%, too. I haven't found a good font for this in Word 365, however. Candara (and just about every other font I have tried) look awful in Word 365.

Word 2003:

fonts

Word 365:

fonts word 365

[Edited at 2021-11-15 19:10 GMT]

Some fonts look good in PDF but rubbish in Word. One example is Gentium Basic:

gentium basic

[Edited at 2021-11-15 19:18 GMT]

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Verdana Nov 15, 2021

Thanks to what Nikita Kobrin wrote, I changed my MemoQ font to Verbana, and it is a lot easier to read on the screen! I had chosen something before, trying to keep it sans serif, but this makes quite a difference. Thanks.

Nikita Kobrin

Elisa Bottazzi
Elisa Bottazzi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 16, 2021

Dear colleagues, thank you all for your precious suggestions, especially to Samuel – the images you posted are great. I will try the fonts you all linked/suggested!

Regarding the read aloud function, I do not think this is an option for me instead, because I feel like it is slower and there could be also distracting mispronunciations.

Rachel Waddington

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Capital i, lowercase L, and 1 should be as distinct as possible Nov 16, 2021

At least for latin scripts.

Tjasa Kuerpick

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
European to European language rates Nov 16, 2021

...must still be very, very nice. Read aloud? Ain't nobody got time for that (c)

At least not for technical jobs in Slavic languages.

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Elisa Bottazzi wrote:

Thanks a lot!

... using the read aloud function can be good for finding typos that your eyes easily skip over when reading the text normally.

I've never tried changing the font.

[Edited at 2021-11-16 08:37 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 16, 2021

Adieu wrote:

European to European language rates...must still be very, very nice. Read aloud? Ain't nobody got time for that (c)

At least not for technical jobs in Slavic languages.

If you're producing a text that needs to flow well, that may be used as a script for a recording, I'd say this would be a pretty good way of doing a final proofread. This probably isn't going to be the case for technical jobs, but I regularly translate song lyrics and scripts, so this is a very useful tip for me!

Rachel Waddington

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Some that show the letters clearly Nov 24, 2021

I prefer Cousine - my favourite Here are some that show the letters more clearly
Font

Elisa Bottazzi

Nacho Bracho
Nacho Bracho
Spain
Allways monospaced fonts. Dec 7, 2021

They force you to read exactly what is written, not what you think is written.

Some monospaced fonts look ugly at first glance (like Courier, Monaco or Consolas). And they don't seem to read smoothly.

But some of them are great, like my favourite: Source Code Pro:
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source%20Code%20Pro

I use it for all plain
... See more
They force you to read exactly what is written, not what you think is written.

Some monospaced fonts look ugly at first glance (like Courier, Monaco or Consolas). And they don't seem to read smoothly.

But some of them are great, like my favourite: Source Code Pro:
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source%20Code%20Pro

I use it for all plain text-based work: software coding, web design, notes and MemoQ.
Collapse

Elisa Bottazzi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which font(s) do you use to notice tiny, hard-to-find typos?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »