How do I combine my US and UK spelling dictionaries?
Thread poster: Edward Potter
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2014

Hello English translators.

My ratio of writing in US and UK English is about 50-50. I have built up my auto-correct spell corrector with different terms under these two "different languages". I would like to combine these for when I change the "language" I'm writing in from one to the other.

Example:

When writing with U.S. English turned on, I have Autocorrect change "dhs" to "Department of Homeland Security of the U.S. Government". The next time that te
... See more
Hello English translators.

My ratio of writing in US and UK English is about 50-50. I have built up my auto-correct spell corrector with different terms under these two "different languages". I would like to combine these for when I change the "language" I'm writing in from one to the other.

Example:

When writing with U.S. English turned on, I have Autocorrect change "dhs" to "Department of Homeland Security of the U.S. Government". The next time that term pops up when writing with U.K. English, typing in "dhs" leaves me with "dhs". So, I have to go do clickey click and typie type to set it up again.

How can I avoid having to do the redundant setting up?
Collapse

Philips Reyes

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Spelling Jun 3, 2014

Edward,

You don't specify what software tou're using. In Word it's dead easy, you just mark your text (sentences, paragraphs, etc.) in UK or US, then F7 should take care of itself.
In CAT software (Studio, etc.) I don't know of a way of doing this.

Richard

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS-Word 2007 Jun 3, 2014

wotswot wrote:

Edward,

You don't specify what software tou're using. In Word it's dead easy, you just mark your text (sentences, paragraphs, etc.) in UK or US, then F7 should take care of itself.
In CAT software (Studio, etc.) I don't know of a way of doing this.

Richard

Thanks for your reply, Richard.

I'm using Word 2007.

F7 gives me the thesaurus. I'm talking about Word Button > Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect.

The list in Autocorrect would be different depending on which language I am working with. Suppose I were working with US, UK, Canadian, Australian and Irish English. For each "language" I would have to set up the same autocorrect words, making a lot of redundant setting up for each autocorrect list.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
La edad no perdona... Jun 3, 2014

I'm afraid I can't help with your query, but thanks for reminding us about that autocorrect shortcut - I'd forgotten all about it since installing Windows 2007! Cheers Mr P ... and Dookie says hi too

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:46
English to Spanish
Microsoft and their love/hate relationship with SGML... Jun 4, 2014

(...) Word Button > Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect.

The list in Autocorrect would be different depending on which language I am working with. Suppose I were working with US, UK, Canadian, Australian and Irish English. For each "language" I would have to set up the same autocorrect words, making a lot of redundant setting up for each autocorrect list.

That's correct, in addition to the spelling dictionaries (filetype *.dic) Word uses autocorrect lists (*.acl), and as you found out there's one for each language (English US is MSO1033.acl and English UK is MSO2057.acl). These files are usually located at "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office" (easier to search for them perhaps). Unfortunately, they are not editable files (don't get me started on that).

The quick and dirty way would be to stick with a single file and simply overwrite all the languages you want with the most updated .acl you're working with -- this however has the obvious drawback that you won't have different autocorrect entries based on the current language (ise ize endings for example), since all the files will be identical.

Another way, if you're not afraid of macros, is to use an export/import macro made by a kind soul named Jay Freedman (http://jay-freedman.info/ -- look for AutoCorrect2007.zip). That macro will save all your autocorrect entries to a neat table in a .docx file for you to edit, change and cherish to your heart's content. The problem is that you need to add a line if you want it to export/import from/to a specific language instead of the language used by your default template (in the VBA editor, you need to add "Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS" or wdEnglishUK *before* it gets the autocorrect entries -- or change the default in your "normal.dot" or whatever template you're using for creating a new blank document).

You can now export/import two different .docx files, compare them to see the differences, accept/reject the changes, copy/paste entire chunks, etc. etc. If you already have lots of changes in both languages and want to keep them separated, this is the way to go.

Just drop me a line if the VBA editor seems daunting and I'll edit the macro for you!

References: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926927/en-us (silly Microsoft and their silly non-xml resources...)

[Edited at 2014-06-04 04:21 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I combine my US and UK spelling dictionaries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »