Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 23:04
French to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2013

I use Word for Mac 2011.

I've just completed the translation of a Word document using my CAT tool (Wordfast) and the Table of Contents hasn't been translated.

Each line in the Table of Contents is hyperlinked to a title in the main document, which has all been translated.

When I click on "Edit Hyperlink" for one of the ToC lines it brings up e.g. "#_Toc359605022" in "Link to" and 'Selection in Document' in "Display".

How can I translate the cur
... See more
I use Word for Mac 2011.

I've just completed the translation of a Word document using my CAT tool (Wordfast) and the Table of Contents hasn't been translated.

Each line in the Table of Contents is hyperlinked to a title in the main document, which has all been translated.

When I click on "Edit Hyperlink" for one of the ToC lines it brings up e.g. "#_Toc359605022" in "Link to" and 'Selection in Document' in "Display".

How can I translate the currently untranslated Table of Contents? Is there a method, or will I have to delete the whole ToC and translate manually and without links to the main text?

TIA for your help.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 21:04
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In earlier versions of Word... Jul 1, 2013

...all you had to do was right-click somewhere within the table, and then select 'update fields', and all your translated paragraphe headings etc. would magically slip into place.

However, I don't know if the same still applies in later versions of Word; I am also not sure it works with a hyperlinked table, since most of the ones I deal with have been created using styles instead; IF your CAT tool correctly translated WITHIN the hyperlink tags, then it OUGHT to work the same, I'd ha
... See more
...all you had to do was right-click somewhere within the table, and then select 'update fields', and all your translated paragraphe headings etc. would magically slip into place.

However, I don't know if the same still applies in later versions of Word; I am also not sure it works with a hyperlinked table, since most of the ones I deal with have been created using styles instead; IF your CAT tool correctly translated WITHIN the hyperlink tags, then it OUGHT to work the same, I'd have thought, but that's the bit that might mess up.

IF you are unlucky, at least don't create the TOC again laboriously manually: assuming your document has correctly used styles for each heading, sub-heading, sub-sub-heading, etc., you can easily create a replacement automatic TOC based on those styles, which takes a tiny bit of setting up, but once you've done it, will save you a HUGE amount of re-keying

PS: assuming you're probably pushed for time, if you're not familiar with doing this, feel free to send me your finished file and I'll happily do it for you.

[Edited at 2013-07-01 08:05 GMT]
Collapse

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 23:04
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update fields Jul 1, 2013

Hi Tony

I thought I'd already done it but apparently not - when I click on "Update field" and choose "Update Entire Table" it changes the titles to English in the ToC - but for some reason I lose the hyperlinking.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 21:04
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hyperlinks Jul 1, 2013

I must admit, I always have a tussle with hyperlinks when using CAT tools! Try and avoid them like the plague... It's not helped by the fact that so often they have not be correctly set up in the first place

It could be that you have lost the bookmarks they point to in the text; in that case, it possibly isn't worth your while going to the trouble of
... See more
I must admit, I always have a tussle with hyperlinks when using CAT tools! Try and avoid them like the plague... It's not helped by the fact that so often they have not be correctly set up in the first place

It could be that you have lost the bookmarks they point to in the text; in that case, it possibly isn't worth your while going to the trouble of manually recreating all of those (best ask your customer if it's essential; one of my customers very kindly just sighs and takes care of it at his end!)

There are probably other reasons too, but I freely admit to my shortcomings as a word-processor in this area; don't handle the stuff often enough to have ever really got to grips with it properly!

I'm sure others more expert than I will be able to give you some concrete advice on things to try; I'd just suggest working in a copy of your file, so you don't inadvertently mess something up globally that can't be undone (I know, I know... I shouldn't judge other people by myself! But we've all done it at some point or another, haven't we?)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word: Changing Table of Content linked to text in document

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »