María Toresani
María Toresani
Argentine
Local time: 17:35
Membre (2022)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Apr 29

Hello, I have recently been assigned a new project to work on for a direct client. This particular project involves translating a video game into Spanish for a game developer. As I am not very experienced in working with direct clients, I am unsure of the appropriate rate to charge for this type of work. I have heard that direct clients typically pay higher rates, so I was considering charging between USD 0.08 to 0.10 per word for this translation project.

The total word count for t
... See more
Hello, I have recently been assigned a new project to work on for a direct client. This particular project involves translating a video game into Spanish for a game developer. As I am not very experienced in working with direct clients, I am unsure of the appropriate rate to charge for this type of work. I have heard that direct clients typically pay higher rates, so I was considering charging between USD 0.08 to 0.10 per word for this translation project.

The total word count for the game is 2,000 words.

Additionally, I am curious about your methods for working with direct clients. Do you typically hire a reviewer to assist with the translation process, and if so, do you cover those costs yourself? If I do decide to hire a reviewer, should I consider adjusting my rates accordingly?

Thank you for your input.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:35
Membre (2007)
anglais vers portugais
+ ...
@Maria Apr 30

I’m not a videogames translator, but over the years I’ve acquired a good number of direct clients for whom I translate regularly (some more than others). What I charge to direct clients starts at 1/3 more than I charge agencies, depending on several circumstances, namely subject matter, deadline, payment terms, etc. Some direct clients just want a simple translation, others require a turnkey solution. In this case, I always hire a reviewer and my rate includes this step.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italie
Local time: 22:35
Membre (2009)
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
pricing Apr 30

María Toresani wrote:

Do you typically hire a reviewer to assist with the translation process, and if so, do you cover those costs yourself? If I do decide to hire a reviewer, should I consider adjusting my rates accordingly?

Yes, all your costs, including taxes, need to be priced into your rate, as it's there your income comes from. If your income does not cover all your bills, you'll run into the red.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Videogames translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »