esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:27
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Free as in ‘freedom’ Nov 27, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

It is free as in free beer, with the caveat that you still need to download the source and build the binary.

As you wrote in another thread,

Swordfish CAT tool (and other maxprograms.com applications) have been open sourced (source code can be found in the developer's Github repositories) under the Eclipse Public License v 1.0.

This means that Swordfish is actually free as in 'freedom'. The mentioned license is deemed free by the FSF:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Jean Dimitriadis
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
F4Transkript Dec 10, 2021

Hi, Jean.

May I suggest this rather professional-looking transcription software that supports Linux out of the box to be added to your excellent list?

F4Transkript - https://www.audiotranskription.de/en/f4transkript/

It's a paid transcription software, but seems to be fairly affordable. I've been trying it out throughout this afternoon on op
... See more
Hi, Jean.

May I suggest this rather professional-looking transcription software that supports Linux out of the box to be added to your excellent list?

F4Transkript - https://www.audiotranskription.de/en/f4transkript/

It's a paid transcription software, but seems to be fairly affordable. I've been trying it out throughout this afternoon on openSUSE, and I didn't encounter any notable issue during my testing. I have no use for this as my transcription works were mostly related with subtitling. But others might find this useful. It allows you to transcribe the first 5 minutes of the audio for a demo, if anyone wants to give it a try.

[Edited at 2021-12-10 10:14 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: F4Transkript Dec 10, 2021

Hi, Novian,

Great, thanks for the contribution, I will add it soon!

Mr. Satan (X)

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
20211222 TranslateOnLinux update Dec 22, 2021

TranslateOnLinux has been updated, with a focus on Subtitling and Transcription.

Subtitling: extensively updated section (with added mention of Subtitle Next, and online tools such as OOONA and Matesub, which is free during beta, as well as a section discussing CAT tools for subtitling and two applications for embedding subtitles into videos).

Transcription: Added F4Transcript, OOONA Transcribe, oTranscribe and Transcribe by Wreally.

STT/TTS: Expanded menti
... See more
TranslateOnLinux has been updated, with a focus on Subtitling and Transcription.

Subtitling: extensively updated section (with added mention of Subtitle Next, and online tools such as OOONA and Matesub, which is free during beta, as well as a section discussing CAT tools for subtitling and two applications for embedding subtitles into videos).

Transcription: Added F4Transcript, OOONA Transcribe, oTranscribe and Transcribe by Wreally.

STT/TTS: Expanded mention of using a smartphone for dictating on Linux, added Dictanote app, and Voice in Voice Typing and Read Aloud Chrome extensions.

Windows VMs: added mention of WinApps.

Thanks to Novian Cahyadi for his help!

---

Table of content (TOC): I have made some attempts to fix the TOC issue (some internal links containing parenthesis, etc. are not active), with no joy so far…
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
20220118 TranslateOnLinux.org update Jan 18, 2022

TranslateOnLinux has been updated with the following:

- Two CAT tool additions: Cattitude online CAT tool and BasicCAT cross-platform tool.
- CafeTran Espresso now supports track changes, making it increasingly fit for a complete Trados replacement.
- Mention of Scribus for Adobe InDesign IDML preview.
- Scribus and TMLookup got a separate entry under Various localization-related utilities.
- Ad
... See more
TranslateOnLinux has been updated with the following:

- Two CAT tool additions: Cattitude online CAT tool and BasicCAT cross-platform tool.
- CafeTran Espresso now supports track changes, making it increasingly fit for a complete Trados replacement.
- Mention of Scribus for Adobe InDesign IDML preview.
- Scribus and TMLookup got a separate entry under Various localization-related utilities.
- Added ImageTrans for image and comics translation, as well as BasicCAT Aligner (which integrates LF Aligner/Bluealigner), by the same developer.
- Made a new test of alignment tools and reordered the list, which now starts with Stingray and BasicCAT Aligner, followed by LF Aligner and WordFast Anywhere.
- Two more online project management/invoicing tools (rulingo, Breeze).
- Added a PDF to XLIFF to PDF subsection to PDF TO TEXT (Inceni Infix and TransPDF)
- Additional notes on OCR online solutions and CAT tools featuring OCR capabilities.
- Ibus-typing-booster entry updated. It also supports speech recognition (Google Cloud API, currently) for voice typing across the desktop.

The TOC seems to be fixed!

[Edited at 2022-01-18 18:18 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:27
Polish to English
+ ...
OmegaT, Swordfish or something else (what's everybody working with)? Jun 22, 2022

I'm reposting this with minimum changes from OmegaT and Swordfish forums but I'm quite convinced it makes sense to ask here as well with a slightly different angle:

I'm a long-term memoQ and Trados user with (limited) OmegaT experience (but usually recommending it as a go-to free option). Never had the time/need to try Swordfish (also I've been somewhat discouraged by the low number of stars on github - 33 with mine from today, and Mr. Raya being a single author/contributor as far
... See more
I'm reposting this with minimum changes from OmegaT and Swordfish forums but I'm quite convinced it makes sense to ask here as well with a slightly different angle:

I'm a long-term memoQ and Trados user with (limited) OmegaT experience (but usually recommending it as a go-to free option). Never had the time/need to try Swordfish (also I've been somewhat discouraged by the low number of stars on github - 33 with mine from today, and Mr. Raya being a single author/contributor as far as I can tell). Because of this I kept my translation environment on Windows even though Linux has been my daily driver for a while.

I'm mostly going to deal with markdown, js, yaml, and html - sometimes actual code may contain comments/ strings that need to be translated and on the other hand sometimes I'll have code samples embedded in plain text inside an hrml file ... (memoQ's default HTML filter failed me here).

Source (and target) will (ideally) be the files in git repositories (so I'd need to overwrite them - or maybe have a source and target branches? Does any CAT support some kind of git integration?)

My source language is Polish and target is EN but somewhere down the line there may be German and couple other EU languages - all the files should be UTF-8 but may come from Windows, Mac or Linux users - should I be aware of any possible issues with encoding of language-specific characters?

I'd appreciate any info from full-time translators using Linux - feel free to point me to a forum/community where I might hear/talk more.

For the last couple of years I've had a fair share of web-based tools such as SmartCat or Crowdin but I'd rather have something installed/running on my local machine.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your preferred CAT Jun 22, 2022

HI Krzysztof,

Welcome to the GNU/Linux side!

CAFETRAN ESPRESSO

My favorite CAT tool is CafeTran Espresso. Its developer is Polish and its UI is localized in PL as well. I see you list it under your profile, so you probably already know it. For me, it is the most fun to use and on Linux, if you set the Appearance Look and Feel preference to GTK and apply the System theme, it feels quite well integrated with the OS.

If you expect to work with Tra
... See more
HI Krzysztof,

Welcome to the GNU/Linux side!

CAFETRAN ESPRESSO

My favorite CAT tool is CafeTran Espresso. Its developer is Polish and its UI is localized in PL as well. I see you list it under your profile, so you probably already know it. For me, it is the most fun to use and on Linux, if you set the Appearance Look and Feel preference to GTK and apply the System theme, it feels quite well integrated with the OS.

If you expect to work with Trados/MemoQ files and packages, I think it may be your best bet as it offers excellent compatibility with external project files (second to none, save MemoQ).

MEMSOURCE

However, for the file types you mention, I would suggest you try Memsource which also offers nifty file filter options. It does have an offline Linux client (although some tasks might require the browser).

HTML: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014289780-HTML
Markdown: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014357919-MD-Markdown-
YAML: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014289880-YAML
I don't see pure Javascript support, only JSON.
Git, Github and Gitlab integration is also available, but only for Ultimate and Enterprise editions.

OMEGAT

Via its Okapi filters plugin, OmegaT supports YAML, Markdown (and HTML): https://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php/Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT

It supports Git for team collaboration, but I am not sure it does so for translating git repositories.

SWORDFISH

Swordfish can be built from source on GNU/Linux, is in active development and its email support is active, so don't get discouraged by its few Github stars. Among the file formats you have mentioned, it supports Javascript files.

XLIFF MANAGER/RAINBOW

Please note you can also use the open source XLIFF Manager by the same developer for creating and exporting XLIFF files out of various file formats (including Javascript), for translation in your favorite CAT tool.

Okapi Rainbow pipelines can also be used for creating XLIFFs for such files as YAML, Markdown or HTML for translation in your favorite tool, and the same can be said for Matecat.

---

YOUR PREFERRED CAT

My suggestion: try all these (and maybe also Wordfast Pro if you fancy) and go with the one you suits you best. You can always create bilingual files in another tool that supports them and translate them with your go-to CAT. CafeTran Espresso works best for this approach (see https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats ), but you should be able to do this with others too.

[Edited at 2022-06-22 14:26 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
The biggest feature set Jun 23, 2022

I agree with what Jean wrote and would like to point out that CafeTran Espresso has the largest set of features useful to the translator, while the CAT tools you used before are distinguished by features designed primarily to help project managers.

No experience with CafeTran Espresso on Linux. Plenty of experience with it on the other X-based operating system.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TranslateOnLinux (new wiki)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »