Berber languages
Thread poster: Djidji74
Djidji74
Djidji74
Local time: 06:55
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 9, 2007

What do you know about Berber languages in Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia?

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:55
Italian to English
+ ...
backatcha! May 9, 2007

Hi Djidji74,
What do you know about these languages, and can you enlighten us?

I've been to Morocco, but everyone I spoke to had a different take on it.

Cheers,
Amy

Alan R King
Alan R King
Local time: 07:55
Basque to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What do you want to know? May 9, 2007

Well, what would you like to know about them? Be a bit more specific with your question and you may get some more specific answers. If you have absolutely no clue and are looking for a place to start, you could do worse than the Wikipedia article on the subject (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_languages), which has a bit of information and some links to other sites...

Chee
... See more
Well, what would you like to know about them? Be a bit more specific with your question and you may get some more specific answers. If you have absolutely no clue and are looking for a place to start, you could do worse than the Wikipedia article on the subject (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_languages), which has a bit of information and some links to other sites...

Cheers
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Tamazight - Moroccan Berber language May 10, 2007

Come from "amazigh" meaning a free man. Spoken mostly in the High Atlas Mountains. The writing is pictographic. Some signs are actually prohibited since they have meanings of freedom and independence from the Moroccan oppression.
I have the alphabet written down by a Berber boy when we travelled through Morocco. It is scribbled on a piece of paper - very precious for us. If you want to see
... See more
Come from "amazigh" meaning a free man. Spoken mostly in the High Atlas Mountains. The writing is pictographic. Some signs are actually prohibited since they have meanings of freedom and independence from the Moroccan oppression.
I have the alphabet written down by a Berber boy when we travelled through Morocco. It is scribbled on a piece of paper - very precious for us. If you want to see it, visit our webpage www.veranna.com/vavab, find the Section Maroko 2006 and the subsection Berbeři. It is copied there.
We learnt many things about their culture and traditions. We traveled by ourselves and Lahcen (the boy) became our friend. He guided us through his village talking about traditional weddings, funerals, beliefs, spirits and oppression from the Moroccan gov't.
This would give us a lot of material for a book but i am sure there are other people competent to put it down on the paper. we were happy to hear from his mouth and actually feel it.

Also, I spent some time in Algeria and spoke to people who spoke in Tamahak. The Tamahak language has at least 6 different dialects, the writing is called tifinagh (21-27 signs, 0 vowels, based on Old-Libyan alphabet).
We travelled to Algeria to see the neolithic paintings in the desert in the plateau of Tassili N'Ajjer. Amazing but grueling since we had o climb the mountains to get on the plateau that is extremely unfriendly (hot weather, no animals, dry, almost no water, completely separated, the area of France)

For more information I would recommend you reading the books by a French archeologist Henry Lhote. He actually discovered the Algerian neolithic paintings in Tassili, described them and copied them in the 1950s. Amazing when you imagine how limited his equipment was then.:-)

BR,
Veronika
Collapse

zabrowa
zabrowa
Phonology/Morphology May 14, 2007

If you are interested in morphology or phonology or some combination of these, let me know. Interesting topic!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Berber languages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »