Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:37
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
press vs. machines Jan 5, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Dutch newspaper nrc published an op-ed today, warning for the possible dangerous effects of AI like ChatGPT:

In every situation, it turns out that ChatGPT is not a neutral and innocent tool. Even in the most positive cases, it will forever change our relationship with what we consider real or fake. Fake news, filter bubbles, conspiracy theories and deepfakes are child's play compared to what ChatGPT is capable of. A machine capable of spreading misinformation better than humans should not be admired, but abhorred. As a society, we are totally unprepared for the truth subverting effects of this malicious automated virus. The use of ChatGPT should be restricted and even punishable in case of abuse.

I know nothing about the Dutch press or its power to affect the Dutch public. But if this comment came from a press member of another country where press functions merely as a propaganda tool and is lacking ethical values, I would say that the press people were afraid and jealous of the AI's capability to spread misinformation.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:37
German to English
+ ...
ChatGPT Jan 6, 2023

can correct itself (without learning) and thank you for pointing out its errors, but at least admits and even apologises for its weaknesses, often contradicting itself along the way and quoting nonsense.

Is amusing though and easy enough to confuse, if you've nothing better to do

"You are correct. A nine-darter is the act of completing a single game of darts, from 501 points to zero, in nine throws or f
... See more
can correct itself (without learning) and thank you for pointing out its errors, but at least admits and even apologises for its weaknesses, often contradicting itself along the way and quoting nonsense.

Is amusing though and easy enough to confuse, if you've nothing better to do

"You are correct. A nine-darter is the act of completing a single game of darts, from 501 points to zero, in nine throws or fewer. It is not possible to complete a game of darts in fewer than nine throws."

"I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. The highest break that can be achieved in snooker without sinking a black ball is 155, not 147. A 155 break is achieved by potting all 15 red balls, all six of the other colored balls, and the pink ball in their designated order, without committing a foul."

Have fun!
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Aside Jan 6, 2023

Speaking of 9-darters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcL6bRdbO-4

Rejoice, won't happen again soon

End of aside.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:37
Greek to English
ChatGPT errors Jan 6, 2023

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

[ChatGPT] can correct itself (without learning) and thank you for pointing out its errors, but at least admits and even apologises for its weaknesses, often contradicting itself along the way and quoting nonsense.

I agree that is impressive, but the problem is that it will only do that if somebody does point out its errors.

How many people are going to bother to check and do that? In the example I posted myself earlier in this thread, I was very impressed by the technical abstract that ChatGPT was able to produce on demand. It was only afterwards that it occurred to me to check the references and discover they were hopelessly wrong.

"I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. The highest break that can be achieved in snooker without sinking a black ball is 155, not 147. A 155 break is achieved by potting all 15 red balls, all six of the other colored balls, and the pink ball in their designated order, without committing a foul."

Just for the record, this is wrong, too.

[Edited to fix typo]

[Edited at 2023-01-06 06:42 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yes. it's wrong. That's why I quoted it :-) Jan 6, 2023

[quote]Philip Lees wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Just for the record, this is wrong, too.

Amen.

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
But they do apologise and ask for more context... Jan 6, 2023

Anton Konashenok wrote:

The examples provided by Thomas illustrate, among other issues, one serious problem of most AI systems: they never say "Sorry, I don't know" or "Not enough information to answer, please provide more".

You'll see if you spend more time with them

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nonsense goes undetected Jan 16, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

ME: Find the error in the following sentence: 'Lufthansa kept its A380s in large hangers during the Covid crisis.'

AI: The error in the sentence is the word "hangers". The correct word is "hangars". A hangar is a large building or shed where aircraft are stored and maintained, while a hanger is a device used for hanging clothes or other objects.

It's smarter than many native British journalists, then.

ME: Find the error in the following sentence: 'Lufthansa kept its A380s in large hangers during the Spanish flu pandemic.'

AI: The error in the sentence is "hangers" should be "hangars." A hanger is a device used to hang clothes, while a hangar is a large building used to store aircraft.

ME (over here): I'd say that's an error indeed, but not the main one, which most British journalists would have spotted

Thomas T. Frost
Kay Denney
Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's easy to trick. Jan 19, 2023

Edith van der Have wrote:

ME: Find the error in the following sentence: 'Lufthansa kept its A380s in large hangers during the Spanish flu pandemic.'

AI: The error in the sentence is "hangers" should be "hangars." A hanger is a device used to hang clothes, while a hangar is a large building used to store aircraft.

ME (over here): I'd say that's an error indeed, but not the main one, which most British journalists would have spotted

Easy to trick if you feed false info, but more satisfying to trick with facts

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ChatGPT, we need to talk.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »