wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 12:47
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
种瓜得瓜, 种豆得豆 - You reap what you sow Oct 14, 2008

Yueyin,

For someone to suggest that I would stoop so low as to form alliances in the forum just to curry favor and get some translation work is totally ludicrous. I wouldn't have retired if I couldn't have afforded to. 想想也太小瞧人了 Lots of choice words come to mind, but for decorum's sake I'll be nice and settle for 井底之蛙 - incidentally, lately this seems to be a popular term bandied about quite
... See more
Yueyin,

For someone to suggest that I would stoop so low as to form alliances in the forum just to curry favor and get some translation work is totally ludicrous. I wouldn't have retired if I couldn't have afforded to. 想想也太小瞧人了 Lots of choice words come to mind, but for decorum's sake I'll be nice and settle for 井底之蛙 - incidentally, lately this seems to be a popular term bandied about quite liberally in the forum

Thanks so much for the photos of my late father's former place of employment - the former Beijing Institute of Aeronautics, today's Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics. The new facilities are just incredible. I really appreciate your taking time from your Beijing vacation to visit the site and shoot the photos for me. Too bad I don't have the photo uploading capability to share the beautiful pictures with everyone here.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in China.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/You%20reap%20what%20you%20sow

You reap what you sow. (formal)

something that you say which means everything that happens to you is a result of your own actions. If you treat your friends like that, of course they drop you. You reap what you sow in this life.

[Edited at 2008-10-15 02:32]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
IBM & BUAA Oct 15, 2008

Steve,

You are right. Many people in the United States know very well that IBM provides very good retirement benefits.

It's my pleasure to take those photos of Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics. The university is very close to where I am staying. On the other hand, I also wanted to see the big changes myself. My first visit to the university was in 1962 when one of my uncles was there to study.

[Edited at 2008-10-15 01:30]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
"Three strikes and you are out” Oct 15, 2008

I don’t know much about baseball game, but I think it is terrific to translate “Three strikes law” into “三振出局”.

http://edu.qq.com/a/20061110/000112.htm

中国俗语"事不过三"与美国法律"三振出局法"

中国有句古话,“事不过三”。在美国,有项法律名为“Three strikes law”(“三振出局法”,力在严惩累犯),与我们的古话大有异曲同工之妙。若再深究“Three strikes law”的得名,你会发现,该法源于美国的棒球运动。

在棒球用语中,有一句名言“Three strikes, and you are out”,意思是,棒球比赛中,击球手若三次都未击中投球手所投的球,必须得出局(“strike”在棒球术语中指“未被击球手击中的球”)。引申至法律,“Three strikes law”规定,因暴力或严重罪行“进宫”两次者,以后每被判一次,无论新罪严重与否,至少得服刑25年甚至是终身监禁。

这下明白了,对有三次犯案的累犯而言,即使在随后的25年里不老死狱中,重见天日时也已白发苍苍了。你说他能不完蛋吗?

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
蓟门烟树 和 皇亭子 Oct 15, 2008

ysun wrote:

It's my pleasure to take those photos of Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics. The university is very close to where I am staying. On the other hand, I also wanted to see the big changes myself. My first visit to the university was in 1962 when one of my uncles was there to study.

Yueyin,

记得你以前提起过 "蓟门烟树" 就在学院路附近. 我曾问妹妹听说过没有, 她和我一样, 也没听说过.

http://baike.baidu.com/view/42213.htm

1949年后,据史料和乾隆的诗,在学院路西侧土城又建起雄伟壮观的城门和碑台,蓟门烟树碑重新高高耸立;修造古朴典雅的楼、馆、廊、青砖灰瓦,别具风采,种植了花木草坪,再现“芳树重重拥蓟门,苍茫烟翠满郊原”的景色。

我想 "蓟门烟树" 一景的重建很可能是 80 年代的事了.

年初有一天我忽然想起我们原来管航院以南学院路一带叫 "皇亭子". 问了一下妹妹, 她说没错. 但是网上处处都说皇亭子在公主坟附近, 根本八杆子打不着.

倒是我刚才 google 了一下, 找到这么一篇电台采访文章. 你大概也会感兴趣, 因为就在你在北京的住所附近 ...

http://fm1073.bjradio.com.cn/servlet/Report?node=61103&language=1

王老师:我刚才说的那个《宛署杂谈》,那本书里边还是皇上的皇,后来的一些描写北京的书里边,在清末以后,才开始改成黄。十号线上至少有两处燕都八景,这燕都八景大家熟悉,其中有一处叫蓟门烟树,十号线有一个车站叫西土城,西土城上有一个景,在电影学院对过,那个土城上,就是南北走向的土城,那上头有一个景叫蓟门烟树,这个景就是乾隆皇帝有一次跟大臣们在这块考察,就发现这个地方有好多挺高的土岗子,地面上长了很多蓟草,老百姓叫刺菜,春天的时候把它拔下来洗洗抹酱吃,叫刺菜。高一点的叫大蓟,小一点的叫小蓟,这蓟是蓟县的得名,因为这个地方蓟草多。
乾隆问这个地方是哪儿?大臣支支吾吾没怎么回答,乾隆是个文人,很懂得诗,好多古诗里都讲蓟门的一些事,他说这个地方是不是蓟门,大臣就顺口说是,打那儿以后乾隆就给这个地方起了一个名,叫蓟门烟树,拿起笔写了一首诗,写了蓟门烟树四个大字,列了一个大石碑,盖了一个皇亭子,这个地名就叫皇亭子,这个碑叫蓟门烟树碑,御制碑。现在这个亭子没了,碑还在。
文林:这皇亭子的地名还有吗?
王老师:地名还有,就是北京电影制片厂的西墙外头这个村就叫皇亭子,电影学院占的那个地方就是皇亭子的村。
文林:蓟门烟树这一景应该是在西土城北边。
王老师:而西土城的地铁车站就是在西土城的最北端,而且这个站实际上并不是在土城上,是在西土城向北拐,然后再向东拐,拐到北土城,在这个位置上,它的东北出口实际上是在北土城上边,是这么一个地方,很巧妙。原来这个站名叫学院路,学院这个名很难说明是什么学院,地铁命名的人高明,干脆这儿叫西土城,比学院路更好一些。
文林:其实地铁十号线的站名也经过几次的改正。
王老师:对。
文林:刚开始有一些站名可能跟公共汽车站大致相同,但是后来有调整,有改动,好像更突出文化的特点。

BTW, 北京电影学院如今也在学院路上 - 我这才知道. 记得电影学院原来位于 小西天 一带.

Sorry about all the off-topic reminiscing.

[Edited at 2008-10-15 12:44]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
蓟门烟树 Oct 15, 2008

Steve,

谢谢你提供的链接。不错,"蓟门烟树" 就在我住处附近的西土城上。学院路现在分为南北两股单向道,把元大都西土城夹在中间,路东就是电影学院。"蓟门烟树" 是燕京八景之一。乾隆题字的碑还在,但没见皇亭子。电影学院和中国专利局都是80年代才搬来的。

学院路和知春路十字路口附近的西土城地铁车站有两个出口,分别在学院路两侧。从此地铁站可乘地铁到三元桥或东直门换乘去机场的轻轨,即快捷又便宜,而且不必担心日益严重的堵车现象。

80年代时,西土城和北土城公园就很漂亮,现在更漂亮了。以前河里的水是臭的,经过奥运前的治理就不再臭了,希望有关部门不要再让它变成“龙须沟”。我离京前在蓟门烟树一带照过一些相,待有空时寄给你或贴出来。

我本应将此帖转移到Seeing China through our camera lenses (从我们的摄影镜头里看中国),但我“从中国无法看到你们的摄影镜头”。:D

[Edited at 2008-10-15 09:02]
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
pollution control device Oct 18, 2008

路边垃圾桶上方贴的一张告示:"This pollution control device has been installed..."

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
前言不搭后语 Apr 22, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/22/kellermann.death.freddiemac/index.html

... She said the death "may have been an apparent suicide."

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
修行在个人 Oct 12, 2009

Used the phrase "Live life to the fullest" yesterday in one of my posts. Just now did a search on this expression, and lo and behold ...

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/3698.htm

LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

Life is an accumulation of one's choices. Both the good and the bad things are the result of repeated choices over the days, weeks, months, and years of your life. You reap what you sow - for good and for ill.

How to live like Caleb:

* Avoid gossip. Find good news about other people. Believe the best rather than assume the worst. Spread good rumors and avoid judgmental condemnation. Gossip diminishes your worth because you live at the expense of others - tearing them down by saying, I may not be much, but at least I'm not as bad as that guy.

* Release bitterness. Don't blame others, and don't walk around waiting for someone to apologize to you. Caleb and Joshua could have exhausted themselves in bitterness by blaming the 10 disbelieving spies. Instead, they seem to have released the people who hurt them, and in so doing they liberated their own souls.

* Take risks. Step out in faith, believing in God. Caleb gave the report, Let's go for it - we can certainly take this land (Nu. 13:30). The others cowered in fear of exaggerated giants.

* Trust. Living a life of worry guarantees a sad life. When you try to be God by grabbing control, you shrivel because you cannot bear the weight. You can live comfortably with the unknown when you choose to trust God.

* Don't live for stuff. Keep materialism in check. When you live for the accumulation of things - either by purchasing these things or by constantly longing for what you can't afford - you become a shrinking soul.

* Master your appetite. If you are controlled by your cravings your spiritual capacity will lessen - because food, lust, or other unchecked desires will take over. Caleb attended to the physical as well as the spiritual discipline; how else could he have said, I'm just as strong today as when we left Egypt 45 years ago (Josh. 14:11).

* Grow deep. Spend time thinking about the meaning of life. Build your life on a firm theological and philosophical foundation. Think of the important things and don't burn up your intellectual energies on monumental facts such as sports scores or the weather.

* Live today. Celebrate the past, embrace the present, and anticipate the future. Learn from the past but don't live there. Recognize that the good old days are never going to return and maybe weren't as good as you recall. Engage fully in this day.

* Think globally. Realize that God is Lord and creator of the whole world. That means you must live comfortably with all the diversity He made, and reach out to serve His world.

Comms
Comms  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 18:47
Englisch
+ ...
Bigger than life Oct 15, 2009

一直想请教各位同僚,这个短语是什么意思

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
English phrase Oct 16, 2009

Sue Orchard wrote:

Bigger than life

一直想请教各位同僚,这个短语是什么意思

Sue,

I assume you're looking for how to say this in Chinese? Here's one way I can think of ...

如雷贯耳

http://baike.baidu.com/view/130224.htm

释 义: 贯:贯穿,进入。响亮得像雷声传进耳朵里。形容人的名声很大。

出 处 :元·无名氏 《冻苏秦》 第一折:“久闻先生大名,如雷贯耳。”

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 13:47
Mitglied (2006)
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Bigger Than Life Oct 16, 2009

比生命更重要Bigger Than Life (豆瓣) - [ Translate this page ]
电影比生命更重要介绍、影评、论坛及推荐. ... 第一个在"比生命更重要Bigger Than Life"的论坛里发言 ... 订阅关于Bigger Than Life的评论: ...
www.douban.com/subject/1855271/ - Cached - Similar -高于生活Bigger Than Life(1956) - [ Translate this page ]
高于生活Bigger Than
... See more
比生命更重要Bigger Than Life (豆瓣) - [ Translate this page ]
电影比生命更重要介绍、影评、论坛及推荐. ... 第一个在"比生命更重要Bigger Than Life"的论坛里发言 ... 订阅关于Bigger Than Life的评论: ...
www.douban.com/subject/1855271/ - Cached - Similar -高于生活Bigger Than Life(1956) - [ Translate this page ]
高于生活Bigger Than Life (1956). 总评分:. 详情 人评分人想看人收藏. loading... 我的评分:: 已看过. 没看过. 分项评分>>. 导演: 尼古拉斯·雷; 主演: 詹姆斯· ...
www.mtime.com/movie/60317/ - Cached - Similar -
Collapse

wherestip
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Some English references Oct 16, 2009

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_'bigger_than_life'_mean

"Bigger than life" means something or someone who stands out in some big way. You will usually hear this used to mean someone or something either extremely famous or extremely flamboyant.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/larger%20than%20life.html

Idiom Definitions for 'Larger than life'

If something is excessive or exaggerated, it is larger than life.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/larger%20than%20life

larger than life
Fig. [of someone] having an aura of greatness, perhaps not supported by the real person. Perry seemed larger than life to those who had only read about him. To the rest of us, he was a boor. To the children, the star athlete who spoke at the school assembly seemed larger than life.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

端架子的翻译

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »