Export bilingual review file – without tags
Thread poster: Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
Local time: 21:47
English to German
Oct 28, 2022

Hi,

is there a way to export a bilingual review file without the placeholders for tags?

So that a sentence like this:

< 17577/ >< 17580 >Architecture started in Anatolia (10.000 bce).< /17580 >

(I had to insert spaces so that the Tag placeholders show up in the forum post)
would actually only appear like this in the Word file:

Architecture started in Anatolia (10.000 bce).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:47
English to Russian
One way ticket Oct 28, 2022

There is no option to export a file this way, but, if that fits your purposes, you can remove all tags in MS Word by color and using wildcards.
Find what: *
Wildcards / RGB 255;0;102
Replace with: leave this field blank.

However you will not be able to restore the tags in this file at a later stage or import the file back to Studio.

Hans Lenting
Paulinho Fonseca
amnaabdulqayyum

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Worked like a charm Oct 28, 2022

Thanks for your reply, Stepan!
I had to twiddle around a bit (and learn how to search for a certain font color), but in the end it worked like a charm.

No need to restore the tags in my case. It’s supposed to be an additional file that I provide to the customer.

Stepan Konev
amnaabdulqayyum

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
😎 Oct 28, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

There is no option to export a file this way, but, if that fits your purposes, you can remove all tags in MS Word by color and using wildcards.
Find what: *
Wildcards / RGB 255;0;102
Replace with: leave this field blank.

However you will not be able to restore the tags in this file at a later stage or import the file back to Studio.

Or hide them?

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Care to elaborate? Oct 28, 2022

Please do elaborate, Hans.

The menu option View -> Options -> Hide file tags did absolutely nothing for my file.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
My guess Oct 28, 2022

I think Hans means that you can hide tags with MS Word too. For this effect, you have to add one step: in 'Replace with' click Format-Font-Hidden:

However, this only "hides" tags programmatically for software like CAT tools. You can hide them visually too, but it takes to globa
... See more
I think Hans means that you can hide tags with MS Word too. For this effect, you have to add one step: in 'Replace with' click Format-Font-Hidden:

However, this only "hides" tags programmatically for software like CAT tools. You can hide them visually too, but it takes to globally change other settings for all MS Word files.

===========
Once you have done the above steps, all hidden text (tags in your case) will either disappear or appear underlined with a subtle dotted line. There are 3 scenarios then possible depending on your settings:
1. With Options checkbox unchecked + non-printing characters (a paragraph mark button) disabled: any hidden text will be not visible on the screen.
2. With Options checkbox checked + non-printing characters disabled: any hidden text will be visible on the screen.
3. With Options checkbox either checked or unchecked + non-printing characters enabled: any hidden text will be visible on the screen.

Either visible or not, the hidden text will always be there in the MS Word file. If you copy a paragraph containing such hidden text and paste it into a different MS Word file, the hidden text will be there too. However this option can be useful for some purposes. For example, when you need to count words or characters net of tags (hidden text is not included in char/word count). Or when you have a mix of languages in your source file but you need to translate just one, you can hide by language in the same way as you do by color, etc. Also, hidden text only transfers to MS Word files. If you copy a paragraph with hidden text and paste it into any third editor, other than MS Word, all hidden text will be trimmed.

[Edited at 2022-10-28 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Or just Oct 28, 2022

modify the style "tag" so that it is hidden.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you Oct 28, 2022

Jaime Oriard wrote:
modify the style "tag" so that it is hidden.
Ah, yeah. That works too. I didn't know about this method, which is even easier to apply. Thank you.

[Edited at 2022-10-28 23:59 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
or use RWS app: ‘Export to Excel’ Oct 29, 2022

If it's just a complimentary file for your client, I always recommend the handy little RWS app called ‘Export to Excel’: • ... See more
If it's just a complimentary file for your client, I always recommend the handy little RWS app called ‘Export to Excel’: • https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/27/ + https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/rws-appstore/w/wiki/3397/export-to-excel?_gl=1

I generally send my clients both the bilingual .docx review file, and a bilingual .xlsx generated with this little tool.

[Edited at 2022-10-29 20:52 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
So many options. Nov 1, 2022

So many options. Thank you all!

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
If you have Deja Vu X3 ... Nov 1, 2022

... then you should be able to export your sdlxliff for an external review (as a bilingual .rtf file) with the option "inline tags removed". But first of all, you should import the relevant sdlxliff file into a DV project, of course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export bilingual review file – without tags

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »