Thread poster: Frankie Hearsum
Frankie Hearsum
Frankie Hearsum
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2022

When I click on a segment, it says "different translation in translation memory", and then I click "apply translation" and then it inserts the correct translation. I want to do this in bulk for multiple segments, is there a way to do this?

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:50
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Use batch tasks Oct 4, 2022

Close the editor, go to Projects, right click the project, and from the pup-up menu choose "Batch Tasks" and then "Pre translate Files".

HTH

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:50
English to Russian
Different translation Oct 4, 2022

Frankie Hearsum wrote:
When I click on a segment, it says "different translation in translation memory"
Trados says so when there is a 100% translation available in your TM but the target segment is already populated with something else like MT or fuzzy match that could be inserted there before the 100% match appeared in your TM, etc. In theory, if you check the box 'Apply best match after successful lookup' (File-Options-Editor-Automation), Trados should insert the best match from TM. In fact, this feature is far from robust and often fails regardless of the segment status, be it 'Draft' or 'Not translated'. I haven't seen any solution other than "that's weird, it should work" or "try to reboot". The only working method is to re-create the project from scratch and even with this "solution" no long correct work is guaranteed. Therefore, I agree with Yossi, pre-translating would be the least painful way.

[Edited at 2022-10-04 12:06 GMT]

expressisverbis

Frankie Hearsum
Frankie Hearsum
United Kingdom
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tried this Oct 4, 2022

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Close the editor, go to Projects, right click the project, and from the pup-up menu choose "Batch Tasks" and then "Pre translate Files".

HTH

I've tried doing this but I think the issue is there are 2 different translations for each segment that come up as 100% matches - I've tried batch deleting the segments of the tm that contain the wrong vocabulary and then doing pre-translate but it still won't work

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Create a filter Oct 4, 2022

Create a filter for the translator you want to include, and then the 100% matches will be only for this translator.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
1+ TMs Oct 4, 2022

It sounds like you use more than just 1 TM. There can't be two 100% matches. Even if you add a new translation (Ctrl+Shift+U), a 1% penalty applies to both translations. If you can see two green 100% segments stored in your TM, most probably you use two TMs. Is that true?

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You have to set a penalty for multiple translations Oct 4, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

It sounds like you use more than just 1 TM. There can't be two 100% matches. Even if you add a new translation (Ctrl+Shift+U), a 1% penalty applies to both translations. If you can see two green 100% segments stored in your TM, most probably you use two TMs. Is that true?

In order to have the penalty (it can be higher than 1) for multiple translations, you have to set it in the project settings.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
By default Oct 4, 2022

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
In order to have the penalty (it can be higher than 1) for multiple translations, you have to set it in the project settings.
Right, but it is set to 1% by default.

Frankie Hearsum
Frankie Hearsum
United Kingdom
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes 2 tms Oct 4, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Yes I'm using 2 tms - the one from the last job I did where I changed the wrong vocabulary into the right vocabulary, and the one for the new job which contains the old wrong vocabulary but also useful contents for this job

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
So, for the pre-translation, use only the good TM Oct 4, 2022

Even easier, no need for filters.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Disable TM temporarily Oct 4, 2022

You can pre-translate with 1 TM as Yossi mentioned above and then attach your second TM again to use it for reference.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Propagate over confirmed segments Oct 5, 2022

Hello Frankie. I think what you need to do is change your auto-propagation settings.

Could you please try this?
1. File > Options.
2. On the left-hand side, select Editor > Auto-propagataion.
3. Place a check-mark next to "Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments".

For added safety, you can also select to be prompted when auto-propagation tries to change a confirmed segment. You can find the relevant options on the same window.

F
... See more
Hello Frankie. I think what you need to do is change your auto-propagation settings.

Could you please try this?
1. File > Options.
2. On the left-hand side, select Editor > Auto-propagataion.
3. Place a check-mark next to "Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments".

For added safety, you can also select to be prompted when auto-propagation tries to change a confirmed segment. You can find the relevant options on the same window.

For an overview of the settings, have a look at the documentation: https://docs.rws.com/813470/344868/trados-studio-2021-sr2/file---options---editor---auto-propagation
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to "apply translation" to multiple segments

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »