Cursor behaviour in Studio (all versions)
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:43
German to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2022

Here is a challenge for all you Studio experts.

When I move my cursor within a segment (using the right arrow or CTRL-right arrow) I'd like the cursor to stop automatically at the end of the segment and not spring down to the next segment (i.e. the way it stops in memoQ).

If I am selecting text at the end of the line, I don't want the cursor to shoot past the end of the segment and go onto the next segment. I want it to stop there (even if I don't manage to let go of t
... See more
Here is a challenge for all you Studio experts.

When I move my cursor within a segment (using the right arrow or CTRL-right arrow) I'd like the cursor to stop automatically at the end of the segment and not spring down to the next segment (i.e. the way it stops in memoQ).

If I am selecting text at the end of the line, I don't want the cursor to shoot past the end of the segment and go onto the next segment. I want it to stop there (even if I don't manage to let go of the keys on time). I can imagine situations where this might be useful, but generally I don't want it that way.

Is there a setting anywhere that I can use to stop this happening? I've searched in vain in the software and the RWS website, but to no avail.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:43
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
try Ctrl + Pgup/Pgdown to go to the start/end of the segment Sep 2, 2022

see: https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/244595-move_to_segment_beginning_end_keyboard_shortcut.html

"Ctrl+Pgup/Pgdown to go to start/end of segment."

Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a good start! Sep 2, 2022

Dank je wel, Michael. I was hoping to avoid more key combinations, but that one's not too difficult!

And in combination with SHIFT I can also select to the beginning/end of the segment too.

[Edited at 2022-09-02 10:51 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:43
English to Russian
Ctrl+Shift+arrow down Sep 2, 2022

Unlike memoQ or Memsource, Trados can select across segments. This is handy when you need to know the source or target word/char count precisely for example. With that feature you can filter segments, copy them and paste into MS Word. If the same worked with Memsource, this issue could be easily resolved by filtering and selecting acr... See more
Unlike memoQ or Memsource, Trados can select across segments. This is handy when you need to know the source or target word/char count precisely for example. With that feature you can filter segments, copy them and paste into MS Word. If the same worked with Memsource, this issue could be easily resolved by filtering and selecting across segments.
If you want to select from cursor to the end of a segment, you can use Ctrl+Shift+arrow down (or arrow up if you want to select from cursor to the beginning of a segment).
Collapse

Jaime Oriard

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Shift+arrow down also works! Sep 5, 2022

Спасибо, Степан. That also does the trick. And I must admit, there have been times when I've been annoyed that you CAN'T select pass the end of a segment in memoQ

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cursor behaviour in Studio (all versions)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »