Isabel Roca Garcia
Isabel Roca Garcia
Spain
Local time: 14:36
French to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 23, 2021

Hi there!

I am working with a project with trados 2019. There are 4 files, and many segments are similar between them, but every time I need to go back to the precedent file and copy paste the translation. Is there a way that translated segments can appear in the translation memory?

Thank you!!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Isabel Sep 23, 2021

Isabel Roca Garcia wrote:
Is there a way that translated segments can appear in the translation memory?

Yes. You need to ensure that you have a translation memory (create a new one, if necessary) and that you connected that TM to the project that you're working on. Then, during translation, you need to confirm each segment before moving to the next one. In Trados, it is possible to move your cursor between segments without confirming the translations, but if you want a segment to become available in the TM, you need to confirm it. Ctrl+Enter should do the trick.

Isabel Roca Garcia
Isabel Roca Garcia
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Group share project Sep 23, 2021

Thank you Samuel! Actually this is a groupshare project, and there is already a TM, but the confirmed segments are not saving in it. Shall I create a new one? And if so, will it be shared?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You should be able to open all 4 files in one view Sep 23, 2021

Isabel Roca Garcia wrote:
Hi there!
I am working with a project with trados 2019. There are 4 files, and many segments are similar between them, but every time I need to go back to the precedent file and copy paste the translation. Is there a way that translated segments can appear in the translation memory?
Thank you!!

If you mark all 4 files and choose Open for Translation, you should get all files in the same view, so that you can propagate between files automatically. Saves you a lot of work rather than opening them separately.
But as others have said, you should be able to enter the translation into the TM. I am surprised that the translation is not automatically entered to the TM when you confirm each segment (Ctr+Enter). If it doesn't, you may want to create a new TM locally and attach it to the project.

Roy

[Edited at 2021-09-23 09:58 GMT]

Isabel Roca Garcia
Stepan Konev

Isabel Roca Garcia
Isabel Roca Garcia
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It should work Sep 23, 2021

Thank you, Roy! As I see the translations were actually not updated, and I am not able to check the update case since it is blocked. I guess there is nothing to do for this project since the other files are already updated to revision, but for next times I will open all fines for translation or create a new translation memory as Samuel said!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Similar segments between files in a same project

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »