Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why make a site-wide announcement about a restricted Proz event?
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
May 10, 2011

There is a site-wide announcement about a Proz virtual conference that clearly states it is only open to those with the P badge and others are not invited. Since there is a special P-only site, why is this being announced for all to see? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep this under wraps too and only send out invitations to those who are welcome and eminently 'qualified' to attend?

[Edited at 2011-05-10 09:44 GMT]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
I was wondering the same thing May 10, 2011

Very strange.

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:10
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
At least one good thing... May 10, 2011

Well, there is at least 1 good thing about it - I clicked on that button (being a non-P) and found out that I had everything to apply for a P-status. So I did apply. Do not know if that ever brings me to the P-club, but at least I tried.

[Edited at 2011-05-10 10:06 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Because... May 10, 2011

they want you to apply and become P-certified...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Because... May 10, 2011

... they think we are donkeys and would blindly follow the "juicy carrot"?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Could be. Why not? May 10, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Because they want you to apply and become P-certified...

After all, you don't have to pay anything on top of the normal Proz membership fee for the Pro-certification.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Openness May 10, 2011

Many of the complaints about the Pro Certification system were that all important matters were being conducted behind closed doors and that other paying members were being unfairly excluded. Although this was not at all the case, it was an understandable reaction and I, for one, urged that there should be greater publicity given to Certified Pro discussions and activities, to alleviate such concerns.
I personally found the last Virtual conference very difficult to take part in, with misce
... See more
Many of the complaints about the Pro Certification system were that all important matters were being conducted behind closed doors and that other paying members were being unfairly excluded. Although this was not at all the case, it was an understandable reaction and I, for one, urged that there should be greater publicity given to Certified Pro discussions and activities, to alleviate such concerns.
I personally found the last Virtual conference very difficult to take part in, with miscellaneous discussions / conversations taking place on the same page and very little, if anything, that had not been covered more thoughtfully in the forums. I have to say that ProZ.com staff are good at listening and learning, though, so I will certainly give them a second chance.

[Edited at 2011-05-10 22:08 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's open about it? May 10, 2011

Russell Jones wrote:

I personally found the last Virtual conference very difficult to take part in, with miscellaneous discussions / conversations taking place on the same page and very little, if anything, that had not been covered more thoughtfully in the forums. I have to say that ProZ.com staff are good at listening and learning, though, so I will certainly give them a second chance.

[Edited at 2011-05-10 22:08 GMT]

The conference is reserved for P badge people only. I don't see any invitation for all paying members to attend or any announcement that the discussions, events etc will be published for all to see. There is already a hidden site that only P people can access and the announcement (plastered in big font all across my Proz home page) clearly states that the conference is only open to them. Fine. In any case, they've had a secret sub-site from the get-go. Isn't that a far more suitable place to invite the badge club members?
My question remains: why was it was announced for all to see when it's not even remotely intended for the majority of site members -paying or otherwise. It's all a bit too 'in your face' for my taste.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 07:10
Member (2003)
French to English
I think posting it site-wide is perfectly fine May 12, 2011

writeaway wrote:

It's all a bit too 'in your face' for my taste.

This is such a negative way to view it. I don't see any problem with posting this site-wide. Yes, everyone understands that you have to have the P badge to attend. So what? Maybe that will spark someone's interest in finding out about the P badge. It seems like it already has for at least one person who posted on this thread just that.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with gad. May 12, 2011

I see no reason why this event should not be posted openly.

I see no reason why this event should be hidden from view.

I see no reason why I should be denied my right to know that this event is going on and that I can't attend.

Three ways of saying the same thing, I know, but as translators, we all know that a slightly different word choice can change the perspective.

How can I make an informed decision if I'm not informed? I had actually forg
... See more
I see no reason why this event should not be posted openly.

I see no reason why this event should be hidden from view.

I see no reason why I should be denied my right to know that this event is going on and that I can't attend.

Three ways of saying the same thing, I know, but as translators, we all know that a slightly different word choice can change the perspective.

How can I make an informed decision if I'm not informed? I had actually forgotten about the existence of the "P" badge option. Maybe I'll take another look. Or not. How does it hurt me to be told about the virtual conference?

Jane
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Why make a site-wide announcement about a restricted Proz event? May 13, 2011

Only way I would have noticed it.

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are party invitiations sent out to those not welcome to attend? May 13, 2011

Jo Macdonald wrote:

There is a site just for P members. Other P events are kept secret, as are basically all other P activities, polls, discussions etc. Invitations to the private virtual conference could have been sent out via the designated site.
Imo, it was totally unnecessary to broadcast a closed event all week long to the entire Proz community.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
No idea of a designated site unless you mean the forums. May 13, 2011

writeaway wrote:

Jo Macdonald wrote:

There is a site just for P members. Other P events are kept secret, as are basically all other P activities, polls, discussions etc. Invitations to the private virtual conference could have been sent out via the designated site.
Imo, it was totally unnecessary to broadcast a closed event all week long to the entire Proz community.

Hi Writeaway,
I haven't really been an active member of the P network so far and maybe there are others in the same boat. I've only checked the P forums once or twice since they were created and I wouldn't have seen an invite posted there.
Seeing the site header was like a kick in the pants to check out the P network, powwow, forums, be more proactive - see what goes.
Good idea imo.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
invitation? May 13, 2011

writeaway wrote:

Are party invitiations sent out to those not welcome to attend?

I don’t see it as a party invitation at all. Maybe more like a poster posted in a public space.

I see lots of posters for events that I won’t attend, or that I can’t attend, or I won’t be admitted—this doesn’t really bother me.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not? May 13, 2011

All over the site you may see announcements and comments on paying-members-only features, such as no restriction on access to the Blue Board, profile improvements, number of daily kudoz questions, placement in Proz searches, application on jobs posted for members only, and so on. Non paying members are this way notified of those features, but if they want to get them, they have to become paying members.

The same applies in this case. Non-PRO members are notified of some activities P
... See more
All over the site you may see announcements and comments on paying-members-only features, such as no restriction on access to the Blue Board, profile improvements, number of daily kudoz questions, placement in Proz searches, application on jobs posted for members only, and so on. Non paying members are this way notified of those features, but if they want to get them, they have to become paying members.

The same applies in this case. Non-PRO members are notified of some activities PRO members do. If they want to gain access to those activities, they have to become PRO first (at no extra charge, so it is not a money issue).

So, as to the title of this thread, "Why make a site-wide announcement about a restricted Proz event? ", I would reply: "Why not?"
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why make a site-wide announcement about a restricted Proz event?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »