Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why make a site-wide announcement about a restricted Proz event?
Thread poster: writeaway
Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

nothing wrong with raising awareness May 13, 2011

I agree, why *not*? Besides, it can potentially direct users' attention to the Pro network, which is a good thing. This thread makes me wonder, why make a site-wide announcement about one's inability to attend an event...

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am a pro, just not at site PRO May 13, 2011

ildiko wrote:

I agree, why *not*? Besides, it can potentially direct users' attention to the Pro network, which is a good thing. This thread makes me wonder, why make a site-wide announcement about one's inability to attend an event...

Fwiw, I am perfectly able to attend, just not allowed to. I am not even saying I would like to attend, I just wondered why it was announced all week long to the site as a whole when it was only open to a relatively small group.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Freedom on a public site !! Please, don't kill it ! May 13, 2011

I'm sorry, but there is no (t yet) law forbidding to publish an announcement on a public site, provided it is not offensive, of course Don't kill this freedom, please

I'm sorry, I'm not a P member, but I appreciate to be informed of what happens on this site.
Should I protest if the launch of a new forum for Martian-speakers were announced on this site while I don't understand Martian language? Of course I shou
... See more
I'm sorry, but there is no (t yet) law forbidding to publish an announcement on a public site, provided it is not offensive, of course Don't kill this freedom, please

I'm sorry, I'm not a P member, but I appreciate to be informed of what happens on this site.
Should I protest if the launch of a new forum for Martian-speakers were announced on this site while I don't understand Martian language? Of course I shouldn't and I would be very pleased to be informed of this event, it would reflect this site healthy status.

I'm sorry, but the "P" members do not belong to a sect, so why should they keep their activities hidden ? Don't you think that it is precisely when they are hidden that things might be suspicious ?

Have a nice week-end
Catherine
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Indeed... May 14, 2011

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

(.../...)

I'm sorry, but the "P" members do not belong to a sect, so why should they keep their activities hidden ? Don't you think that it is precisely when they are hidden that things might be suspicious ?

Have a nice week-end
Catherine

Thank you Catherine!

I think there is no other comment needed.

ETA - Commenting nevertheless:
I'd rather complain (and I actually did) about a virtual conference aimed at direct clients, which was also announced site-wide and to which freelance translators -and not only "P" freelance translators! - had no access.

[Edited at 2011-05-14 05:22 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:52
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not a conference, only a Powwow May 14, 2011

Just to clarify it.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:52
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not a sect... May 14, 2011

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

but some secrecy, yes... the "P" forums are hidden from "non P badge holders"... I find that a bit weird, to be honest.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree May 14, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Not a sect...

but some secrecy, yes... the "P" forums are hidden from "non P badge holders"... I find that a bit weird, to be honest.

I would find it perfectly okay if non-badge paying members can not actively participate in such forums (see: Student Forum. We can read them but we can not reply). Not being able to at least read in those forums is a bit bizarre.

I helped at least 4 colleagues to obtain their badge by writing the references. When I tried to apply myself, there were technical difficulties because of my dual status as freelancer as well as a corporate member.

Especially as a corporate member, paying more than twice as much as a regular member, I find it disappointing that my access to information is restricted.

René Stranz-Nikitin
René Stranz-Nikitin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
Lock-in effect of the "P" badge May 16, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Over the last years I was thinking quite a lot about the question, why the whole "P" program feels so wrong to me. Well, I am not an economist, a long time I couldn't figure it out.

Recently I heard about the term "lock-in effect" in economics and right away I had the impression, that the lock-in effect of the "P" program surely was it, what felt so wrong about it to me.

As we know translators can apply for the "P" badge, they can be approved for the "P" badge, but as long as they don't want to pay the ProZ membership all the time even the approved ones never get the "P" badge displayed, so for their business they won't gain anything despite of the fact, that they are approved as "P"s (not visible to anybody but themselves). It's true that the application and approval process itself is free of charge, but even then one has to make considerable efforts to get the approval, so these efforts don't make sense if afterwards the translator doesn't get his "P" badge displayed in the profile.

Even worse, those who pay the membership fee and have their "P" badge displayed, they will feel that they would loose some part of their good reputation, if they would decide to stop paying the annual membership fee.

In my eyes this is a clear lock-in effect, bad business practice. It makes the "P" people reluctant to even think about stopping to pay the membership fees. I would feel quite odd if I would support something like this with my money, so I never applied.

N.b.: Please note that English is neither my target language nor one of my source languages.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why make a site-wide announcement about a restricted Proz event?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »