Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
一点解释 Nov 26, 2013

wherestip wrote:

4. Keep motivation strong and pure, for that supplies a sense of urgency and responsibility. Most of us don't know what we could actual do if we were to be fully activated, with all our powers called forth simultaneously. "The patient dedication of the will counts far more than native ability. Capacity flows more often from desire than desire from capacity." One man with a personal burden will accomplish more than ten with mere interest. The world has had very little opportunity to see what God could do with men who wholly followed Him. If communism can motivate such dedication and sacrifice for the goals of Marxism, should not Christians apprehend that for which they've been apprehended by the Lord of Life Himself?

我觉得这里的 strong and pure motivation 与 goal of Christians (and also of the Lord) 其实是一致的。所以,that 理解为信仰、宗旨等都是goal 的不同表达方式,实质是一样的。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good discussion Nov 26, 2013

J.H.,

Indeed. I enjoyed our discussion. IMO, it doesn't matter that it took some trial and error to figure it out; we were all in the ballpark.

Like I said, it wasn't that clear what exactly "that" referred to. Without some background knowledge of the Bible, it's hard to pinpoint until you realize that the author was basically partially quoting/paraphrasing one of the verses from the Scriptures.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 15:27 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Agree Nov 26, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

从这里可以看出,基督徒的目的与 Lord 的目的是一致的。所以,才会出现 ......that for which......这样的句式。这跟前面的马克思主义者的目的与马克思主义的目的一致是类似的。

Very well said.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
您提供的资料对于理解原文起了关键作用 Nov 27, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

Indeed. I enjoyed our discussion. IMO, it doesn't matter that it took some trial and error to figure it out; we were all in the ballpark.

Like I said, it wasn't that clear what exactly "that" referred to. Without some background knowledge of the Bible, it's hard to pinpoint until you realize that the author was basically partially quoting/paraphrasing one of the verses from the Scriptures.

否则的话,还是捉摸不定,一头雾水。

Seaguest
Seaguest  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
我现在对that的理解 Nov 27, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

否则的话,还是捉摸不定,一头雾水。

我也非常享受这种讨论。总能得到很多的启发。特别是让我意识到熟悉英语圣经的必要性。这是除了翻译之外的又一收获。

我当初想把自己的译句拿上来请教,除了对自己的翻译不甚满意外,还有就是对那个that for which的理解没有把握。联系上下文,我把that解释为目标,但始终感觉这种解释很空泛和勉强,当时没有注意到dedication and sacrifice。是你和wherestip帮助我有了新的发现。现在我倒觉得,虽然作者引用了圣典的措辞来表达自己的观念,但把that与dedication and sacrifice联系起来更能说得通。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Your Discretion Nov 27, 2013

Seaguest wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

否则的话,还是捉摸不定,一头雾水。

我当初想把自己的译句拿上来请教,除了对自己的翻译不甚满意外,还有就是对那个that for which的理解没有把握。联系上下文,我把that解释为目标,但始终感觉这种解释很空泛和勉强,当时没有注意到dedication and sacrifice。是你和wherestip帮助我有了新的发现。现在我倒觉得,虽然作者引用了圣典的措辞来表达自己的观念,但把that与dedication and sacrifice联系起来更能说得通。

Seaguest,

From the beginning I had a hunch that "that" was referring to the goals(of God), in parallel to the goals of Marxism. In fact that's what made this an interesting quest for me. Not that I am knowledgeable in the subject of Christianity, but from years of living in a mostly Christian country, it's hard not to pick up on some of the theories and concepts of it.

I think it's entirely up to you how you render it into Chinese. My opinion is you can't go too wrong no matter how you say it in Chinese, as long as it is along the lines of what the author wanted to express.

But if I were you, I wouldn't run the risk of someone coming behind me and saying that I didn't know the verse of Philippians 3:12.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Imagery Nov 27, 2013

Philippians 3:12-14
New International Version (NIV)

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

BTW, these verses reminded me of the final paragraph in "The Great Gatsby" ...

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Seaguest
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
明白 Nov 27, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Seaguest wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

否则的话,还是捉摸不定,一头雾水。

Seaguest,

From the beginning I had a hunch that "that" was referring to the goals(of God), in parallel to the goals of Marxism. In fact that's what made this an interesting quest for me. Not that I am knowledgeable in the subject of Christianity, but from years of living in a mostly Christian country, it's hard not to pick up on some of the theories and concepts of it.

I think it's entirely up to you how you render it into Chinese. My opinion is you can't go too wrong no matter how you say it in Chinese, as long as it is along the lines of what the author wanted to express.

But if I were you, I wouldn't run the risk of someone coming behind me and saying that I didn't know the verse of Philippians 3:12.

理解您的担心。我的想法是,作者在这里只是借用了某种表达方式,不一定把意思也都拿过来。我觉得我们可以先把腓立比书3:12改写一下,再跟我拿来请教的句子做个比较。

1,not that / I have already / obtain (arrived at) / my goal,
2, but / I / press on to take hold of / that ……

如果这样,我们可以看出,在腓立比书里,that的对应名词正好是goal。而在我向你们请教的句子里,that的对应名词是dedication and sacrifice。在腓立比书里,goal在句子中担任宾语,而在我求教的句子里,goal是状语成分的一部分。更重要的是,我理解原书作者在这一段里是要强调一种基督徒应该具备的精神,而不是在谈基督徒奋斗的目标。所以虽然我原来也认为that指目标,但在跟您和J. H. Wang讨论后,觉得把that与dedication and sacrifice联系起来可能更贴近原文。

[修改时间: 2013-11-27 17:54 GMT]

Seaguest
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
interesting Nov 27, 2013

wherestip wrote:

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

BTW, these verses reminded me of the final paragraph in "The Great Gatsby" ...

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

I like this epigram. It is particularly relevant to our helpful discussion.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 10:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
APPREHENDED and APPREHENDING Nov 28, 2013

wherestip wrote:

As I said before, I'm not too big on theology nor Bible studies. But here I found this verse Philippians 3:12 that basically has the same sentence structure ...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians%203:12-14&version=NIV

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I expanded Steve's search and found this edifying sermon by Rev. Wilson on Philippians 3.12:

http://www.arptalk.org/2013/09/17/apprehended-and-apprehending-philippians-312/

1. APPREHENDED

In Philippians 3.12 Paul writes, “Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.”

Have you been “apprehended of Christ Jesus”?

In other translations, the Greek word translated “apprehend” in the KJV is translated, for example, “lay hold of” (NKJV), “make me his own” (ESV and RSV), and “took hold of” (NIV). Personally, I like “apprehend.” “Apprehend” means, one, to arrest or capture, and, two, to understand or perceive. The emotional impact of “apprehend” as captured in the KJV is extraordinarily fitting for Philippians 3.12. So, have you been captured by Christ?
---

2. APPREHENDING

My second point is APPRENDING. Let me review with you. Remember “apprehend” has two meanings: first, it means to arrest or capture, and, SECOND, it means to understand or perceive.

Indeed, Paul was apprehended by God’s love in Christ Jesus in the sense of being arrested or captured by it. If Paul had been apprehended for execution, he would have understood the divine action. Christ’s apprehending Paul out of His love mystified him. He desired to understand it in order to reflect it.

Steve, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
我觉得这样理解似乎不够确切 Nov 28, 2013

Seaguest wrote:

现在我倒觉得,虽然作者引用了圣典的措辞来表达自己的观念,但把that与dedication and sacrifice联系起来更能说得通。

我们可以看到原文的标题 “Keep motivation strong and pure, for that supplies a sense of urgency and responsibility. ” 强调的是动机的坚定和纯洁。

关于strong,我前面说是“强大”的意思,其实并不准确,我查了一下词典:

■(of a belief or feeling) intense and firmly held.
(信仰,感情)强烈的,坚定的 《新牛津英汉双解大词典》

再看 If communism can motivate such dedication and sacrifice for the goals of Marxism,这句话是说共产主义能够激发出 dedication and sacrifice,其实仔细想想,communism 才是关键,它是一种理想、目标,也可以说是共产主义者之所以能够做出 dedication and sacrifice 的动因。

顺便说一下,就 should not Christians apprehend that for which they've been apprehended by the Lord of Life Himself 这句话本身而言,并没有明确地给出 that 的确切含义。但是,我们从 Steve 前面给出的几段资料可以推断出,它大致就是指 goal、理想等。

[Edited at 2013-11-28 09:41 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Great find Nov 28, 2013

QHE wrote:

I expanded Steve's search and found this edifying sermon by Rev. Wilson on Philippians 3.12:

http://www.arptalk.org/2013/09/17/apprehended-and-apprehending-philippians-312/

1. APPREHENDED

In Philippians 3.12 Paul writes, “Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.”

In other translations, the Greek word translated “apprehend” in the KJV is translated, for example, “lay hold of” (NKJV), “make me his own” (ESV and RSV), and “took hold of” (NIV). Personally, I like “apprehend.” “Apprehend” means, one, to arrest or capture, and, two, to understand or perceive. The emotional impact of “apprehend” as captured in the KJV is extraordinarily fitting for Philippians 3.12. So, have you been captured by Christ?
---

2. APPREHENDING

My second point is APPRENDING. Let me review with you. Remember “apprehend” has two meanings: first, it means to arrest or capture, and, SECOND, it means to understand or perceive.

Indeed, Paul was apprehended by God’s love in Christ Jesus in the sense of being arrested or captured by it. If Paul had been apprehended for execution, he would have understood the divine action. Christ’s apprehending Paul out of His love mystified him. He desired to understand it in order to reflect it.

Wonderful, QHE. I think the sermon by Rev. Wilson sheds a lot of light on how to interpret Philippians 3:12. IMO it also helps tremendously in understanding the sentence under discussion.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. And likewise to everyone in the forum.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
主义、理想、 宗旨、目标 ... Nov 28, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

... communism 才是关键,它是一种理想、目标,也可以说是共产主义者之所以能够做出 dedication and sacrifice 的动因。

J.H.,

I think you are right-on on this. It's the ism, or goal, Will, plan, etc. that is the centerpiece.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
用语精妙 Nov 29, 2013

QHE wrote:

1. APPREHENDED

---

2. APPREHENDING

这样一来,翻译起来就更困难了。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
God's plan Nov 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

QHE wrote:

1. APPREHENDED

---

2. APPREHENDING

这样一来,翻译起来就更困难了。

Not at all. Scan through the whole sermon; he's basically saying what you and I were saying about how to interpret the 1st and 2nd apprehend, although not from a linguistic standpoint.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请帮忙审核一下这句话的翻译

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »