+ ...
没有抓住段落的重点 Sep 29, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

因此,我会将我的翻译改成要消除妄念“我”才能获得真正的快乐。唯有达到“无我”的境界,心里才不会患得患失,才能放下“我执”。

大体意思是对的, 但我觉得宗教信仰理论上延伸得比较厉害。 依我看,整个段落读下来, 中国读者是否懂得前后文如何对应(前后呼应),以致 整段文章何所云 都难说。

换句话说, 是否有必要将 这种并非严肃地 讨论 佛教思想理论 的 “随谈” 提升到这种意识高度 (甚或可视为本文原本没有的说教意味) 值得商讨。

If that's the tone one wants to go for, I think it's better to say something to the effect of "唯有 (达到'无我' 的境界), 为切身利益的忧心才能静默下来, (才能放下‘我执’) ". That way the translation at least stays closer to the English meaning of the word "survival", or further, the context specific coined term "survival brain".

JMHO.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 01:12 GMT]

我们的分歧主要在“survival brain turned down”,我认为survival brain应该翻译成“患得患失”是依据以下context:

Scientists have done experiments on the standard mammalian brain and found that it is not built for happiness. It functions so that, as neurologist Melvin Konner explains, “the organism’s chronic internal state will be a vague mixture of anxiety and desire—best described by the phrase ‘I want,’ spoken with or without an object for the verb.” Surely you are familiar with that brain, having seen it up close and personal, always twitching with dissatisfaction, never at peace.

你的翻译“切身利益”,对我而言有两种解读,第一是自己的基本利益,将这种忧心静默下来并不符合佛家的思想,佛教从来没有说一个人可以不管自己的死活,只是说你不要索取太多。第二是关系到自己的好处(在基本利益以外),那么“不要时时担心关系到自己的好处有没有”算不算“患得患失”呢?所以我百思不得其解,何来延伸、何来说教。

Li Jie,

Maybe I didn't use the right words. What I meant was the way you had it, IMO is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand. Being a Chinese reader myself, I would wonder what the whole segment of the text was driving at. There is no cohesive thought from beginning to end.

Basically, what the author is saying in this segment of text, is happiness is not inherently implanted into the human psyche, the reason being happiness does not help the human survive in the evolutionary process. Rather, the human's survival instinct does.

At the risk of sounding repetitious: midway through, the author states the idea that instead of happiness, the survival instinct played an important role in the legacy, or genetic makeup, of humankind. At the end he again refers to the same two human emotions, or characteristics, through a quotation of Buddha. IMO, without a consistent reference to the terms "survival" and "happiness", there really is no understanding of his thought process and the whole segment of text itself.

IMO, it is of foremost importance to make clear the author's logic. Whether your translation of “患得患失” could potentially achieve that is very doubtful in my mind.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 17:33 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 13:13
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
"切身利益" Sep 29, 2013

Please don't get me wrong. This is not my preference,; it was only thought up in an attempt to be somewhat in accordance with your translation, and to at least have some semblance of relevancy to the author's central thread of logic of this passage of text on a whole. If you don't think it is in keeping with Buddhism teaching, then so be it. I defer to you.

Frankly, I would rather never had thought of it on my own.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 17:35 GMT]

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Local time: 02:13
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
今人思维特别是西方人 Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Kemp9 wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

大体意思是对的, 但我觉得宗教信仰理论上延伸得比较厉害。 依我看,整个段落读下来, 中国读者是否懂得前后文如何对应,以致 整段文章何所云 都难说。

换句话说, 是否将 这种并 非严肃地 讨论 佛教思想理论 的 “随谈” 升华到这种意识高度值得考虑。

If that's the emphasis one wants to go for, I think it's better to say something to the effect of "唯有 (blah blah blah), 为切身利益的忧心才能静默, (blah blah blah)".

JMHO.

[Edited at 2013-09-28 14:02 GMT]

不知道为什么大家都喜欢将brain译为心,而不是忠于原文译为"大脑"? 虽然译为心符合中国人习惯,但是准确传达外国人关于佛家的想法应该更好。因为brain(可译为大脑或心)前有survival,后有turn down(类似于 the cpu (brain) of a computer(human) functions in a low level.)。

I'm just going along with Li Jie. In this context, 心、脑, what difference does it make, anyway?

再说"忧心", do you worry with your heart, or with your head(brain)? You've got to be kidding me with what you're focusing on.

Anyway, talk to you guys later.

[Edited at 2013-09-28 15:05 GMT]

大脑与心灵是可以有区别的,虽然古人认为——”心:古人以为心是思维器官,所以把思想的器官、感情等都说做心,现指脑筋;“, 但今人思维特别是西方人,像Phi等,认为大脑像计算机的cpu,而心灵类似于灵魂等,dont u get it ?

[修改时间: 2013-09-29 02:59 GMT]

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
故认为译为大脑更符合原文。 Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Kemp9 wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

大体意思是对的, 但我觉得宗教信仰理论上延伸得比较厉害。 依我看,整个段落读下来, 中国读者是否懂得前后文如何对应,以致 整段文章何所云 都难说。

换句话说, 是否将 这种并 非严肃地 讨论 佛教思想理论 的 “随谈” 升华到这种意识高度值得考虑。

If that's the emphasis one wants to go for, I think it's better to say something to the effect of "唯有 (blah blah blah), 为切身利益的忧心才能静默, (blah blah blah)".

JMHO.

[Edited at 2013-09-28 14:02 GMT]

不知道为什么大家都喜欢将brain译为心,而不是忠于原文译为"大脑"? 虽然译为心符合中国人习惯,但是准确传达外国人关于佛家的想法应该更好。因为brain(可译为大脑或心)前有survival,后有turn down(类似于 the cpu (brain) of a computer(human) functions in a low level.)。

I'm just going along with Li Jie. In this context, 心、脑, what difference does it make, anyway?

再说"忧心", do you worry with your heart, or with your head(brain)? You've got to be kidding me with what you're focusing on.

Anyway, talk to you guys later.

[Edited at 2013-09-28 15:05 GMT]

之所以把 “brain” 翻译成“心”,是因为在我国古人看来,心才是思维的器官。而且,在中国文化中,对于思维、意识等现象,也是用与心相关的概念来表达的。

http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=5uBuI2xuaZ76gJYqOwLgrBtbSfCqCu81jWA-uGtjy1S82Mxx59hGb25TZFpU17Vq

http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=zswVUMtaELV5b0SBk00twzCXgW4wT-fy17Z6zeWYVX_NObYZXv7olvfzShPBJ4bVRX3MFyx-PQ-vTeLznk6VxIl-CgZuM6HLleqxm0uxRVyq3LOYkN7XZpxXvAI1cbey

http://dict.baidu.com/s?wd=心

“古代人以心为思维器官,故后沿用为脑的代称”

原因大致如此。

谢谢提供的连接!但个人认为今人思维特别是西方人,像Phi等,认为大脑像计算机的cpu,而心灵类似于灵魂等,故认为译为大脑更符合原文。

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
大脑像计算机的cpu Sep 29, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

Kemp9 wrote:

为什么大家都喜欢将brain译为心?

因为“心”是“brain”的标准译法之一。英文brain有两个基本意思:一、身体的器官之一;二、人的思想。中文一般不用同一个词表示这两种意思,分别用大脑和心。一律把英文的brain和中文的大脑当作对照词汇是一种错误。

当然,在这篇文中,大脑可以用。为了强调人的生物本质,可以用大脑;为了用通俗的语言,可以用心;或者也可以用佛学的术语来强调作者是借用东方宗教的概念。都属于可行的翻译策略。

但个人认为今人思维特别是西方人,像Phi等,认为大脑像计算机的cpu,而心灵类似于灵魂等,故认为译为大脑更符合原文。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 13:13
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
Bye Sep 29, 2013

Kemp9 wrote:

dont u get it ?

No, I don't get it.

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
或者我有点固执了。。。 Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

就是说,我们所说的“心”、“心理活动”指的是脑的功能、活动。二者实际上是紧密联系的。没有brain(脑),就没有mind(心)。

其实译为”忧虑于生存竞争的心清净安定下来“也行,当然再修改一下更好,或者我有点固执了。。。
不过再想想,还是译为大脑忠于原文及西方思维。。。不过话说西方人是不是这样想的。。。?

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
这样意译没错 Sep 29, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

QHE wrote:

The tone of the context, 就好像你穿着晚礼服燕尾服去Rap & Hip Hop演唱会,可不可以?当然可以!可是…

根据我查看的原文(http://site.douban.com/douban-read/widget/notes/14184535/note/296791850/),作者前面讨论了到底有没有快乐这回事、快乐是怎样的、它与其它情感的区别以及自己什么时候感到快乐后,紧接着说:

The Buddha taught that kind of happiness. He put it this way: “True happiness can only be found by eliminating the false idea of ‘I’ or ‘self.’” Only then is the survival brain turned down and the personality fever cooled. The only problem with that formulation is that once the “I” or “self ” has been eliminated, then there is no one around to enjoy the feeling of happiness.

这里独立成段,我认为既然是引用佛家的理解,用佛家的用语没什么不妥,再说以中国这样佛教渊源流长的国家,这样的句子没什么艰深之处,我觉得很直白。如果这样是“穿着晚礼服燕尾服去Rap & Hip Hop演唱会”的话,你太不了解佛教这身燕尾服长什么样了。

[修改时间: 2013-09-29 02:05 GMT]

我看得明白,这样意译没错,不过似乎没有忠于原文。。。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
意识是个什么东西? Sep 29, 2013

刚碰到一篇不错的文章,其中有些内容与我们这里讨论的相关,链接如下,供朋友们参考:

http://news.sciencenet.cn/htmlnews/2013/9/283252.shtm

其中正好也有涉及生存的内容:

“一个合理的解释是,意识存在的目的,是帮助人类更好地适应生存。”

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
她这样意译是没错的 Sep 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

大体意思是对的, 但我觉得宗教信仰理论上延伸得比较厉害。 依我看,整个段落读下来, 中国读者是否懂得前后文如何对应(前后呼应),以致 整段文章何所云 都难说。

换句话说, 是否有必要将 这种并非严肃地 讨论 佛教思想理论 的 “随谈” 提升到这种意识高度 (甚或可视为本文原本没有的说教意味) 值得商讨。

If that's the tone one wants to go for, I think it's better to say something to the effect of "唯有 (达到'无我' 的境界), 为切身利益的忧心才能静默下来, (才能放下‘我执’) ". That way the translation at least stays closer to the English meaning of the word "survival", or further, the context specific coined term "survival brain".

JMHO.

[Edited at 2013-09-29 01:12 GMT]

我们的分歧主要在“survival brain turned down”,我认为survival brain应该翻译成“患得患失”是依据以下context:

Scientists have done experiments on the standard mammalian brain and found that it is not built for happiness. It functions so that, as neurologist Melvin Konner explains, “the organism’s chronic internal state will be a vague mixture of anxiety and desire—best described by the phrase ‘I want,’ spoken with or without an object for the verb.” Surely you are familiar with that brain, having seen it up close and personal, always twitching with dissatisfaction, never at peace.

你的翻译“切身利益”,对我而言有两种解读,第一是自己的基本利益,将这种忧心静默下来并不符合佛家的思想,佛教从来没有说一个人可以不管自己的死活,只是说你不要索取太多。第二是关系到自己的好处(在基本利益以外),那么“不要时时担心关系到自己的好处有没有”算不算“患得患失”呢?所以我百思不得其解,何来延伸、何来说教。

Li Jie,

Maybe I didn't use the right words. What I meant was the way you had it, IMO it is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand what the whole segment of the text is driving at.

Basically, what the author is saying in this segment of text, is the reason happiness is not inherently implanted into the human psyche is because it doesn't help the human survive in the evolutionary process. Instead his survival instinct does.

IMO, one has to make clear the logic of the whole segment of the text. Whether your translation could achieve that is very doubtful in my mind.

她这样意译是没错的,只是似乎不够忠于原文,”IMO it is very hard for a Chinese reader to understand what the whole segment of the text is driving at“——你可能低估了中国读者的心智。

Jinhang Wang
China
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
英文链接 Sep 29, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/01/20-big-questions-in-science

发现后面还有英文的链接,简单看了一下,发现中文的翻译还是比较差一些,不如看英文的。

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
其实没有brain,可以有mind Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

就是说,我们所说的“心”、“心理活动”指的是脑的功能、活动。二者实际上是紧密联系的。没有brain(脑),就没有mind(心)。

其实没有brain,可以有mind,之前我跟你提过,不过书名被屏蔽掉了。。。

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
并不是前沿解释。 Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

刚碰到一篇不错的文章,其中有些内容与我们这里讨论的相关,链接如下,供朋友们参考:

http://news.sciencenet.cn/htmlnews/2013/9/283252.shtm

其中正好也有涉及生存的内容:

“一个合理的解释是,意识存在的目的,是帮助人类更好地适应生存。”

这些解释并不是前沿解释。

Jinhang Wang
China
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
意识:科学必须回答的八个问题 Sep 29, 2013

一篇有趣的文章,链接如下:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/mar/01/consciousness-eight-questions-science?guni=Article:in%20body%20link

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
not the point from frontier science Sep 29, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/01/20-big-questions-in-science

发现后面还有英文的链接,简单看了一下,发现中文的翻译还是比较差一些,不如看英文的。

not the point from frontier science yet.

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对于“turned down",是不是这样翻译最符合原文?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »