wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:24
Chinese to English
+ ...
Velocipede Nov 29, 2012

J.H.,

I'm glad you're being a good sport about it. I got those links from Lesley too, and now could see the reason why some old timers might create a pun between an encyclopedia and a bicycle, whether intentionally or subconsciously. If an umbrella term for a human powered land vehicle is "velocipede", it's not too hard to imagine a mix-up of words resulting in the mispronunciation or mistake of a bicycle as "an-cyclopede-(ia)".

Here's also a link about "Funny School
... See more
J.H.,

I'm glad you're being a good sport about it. I got those links from Lesley too, and now could see the reason why some old timers might create a pun between an encyclopedia and a bicycle, whether intentionally or subconsciously. If an umbrella term for a human powered land vehicle is "velocipede", it's not too hard to imagine a mix-up of words resulting in the mispronunciation or mistake of a bicycle as "an-cyclopede-(ia)".

Here's also a link about "Funny School Quotes", which categorizes this quote of Yogi Berra's into the group titled "from the left field" - a pun in itself, incidentally.

http://www.grinningplanet.com/funny-quotes/funny-school-quotes.htm

So while I could still see the humor of what Yogi said being on the subject of education, I'm also won over on the bike aspect of it, thanks to you, Phil, quoi, and last but not least, Lesley. (... I hope I didn't miss anyone)

[Edited at 2012-11-29 18:28 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:24
Chinese to English
There's a few like this Nov 29, 2012

Like ysun says, it is definitely 牵强 as a connection, but there are quite a lot of wordplay jokes that are as bad.

Doctor, doctor, I feel like a pair of curtains. Pull yourself together!
- except we don't say "pull the curtains together", we say draw, open or close the curtains. 囧

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
about 牵强 Nov 30, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

Like ysun says, it is definitely 牵强 as a connection, but there are quite a lot of wordplay jokes that are as bad.

Doctor, doctor, I feel like a pair of curtains. Pull yourself together!
- except we don't say "pull the curtains together", we say draw, open or close the curtains. 囧

其实,与 Velocipede 没关系也是可能的。即使如此,那句话本身还是很有意思的。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well Said Nov 30, 2012

J.H. Wang wrote:

Indeed. Meanings that Yogi didn't intend for could very well be read into what he said by people afterwards.

For example, some simple directions to his home in Montclair, N.J. were not meant to be either a joke or words of wisdom when he gave them ...

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

It's just Yogi's folksy way of saying either bear left or bear right when you come to a fork in the road, you'll get to his place either way ... sort of like the well-known saying of "all roads lead to Rome".

But what really was a simple, witty, funny way of giving people directions to his house, later got elevated to the level of words of wisdom by the culture; the most common interpretation of which being an encouragement for people to pick a direction and go with it when they are facing big life-decision-making moments. The moral of the wisdom mainly would be not to overthink one's prospects, not to second-guess oneself, and especially important, not to freeze in the decision-making process or worse, do nothing.

[Edited at 2012-12-01 14:30 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
深度探讨 - 之十 Dec 1, 2012

"It ain't over till it's over."

试译:“在结束之前就未结束。”或者“直到结束时才算结束”等各种版本。

解释:这句话在 Proz 上的英文说明中比较公认的解释是:

A common modern saying with many versions, and this one has been attributed to various people. Simply means that you can't be absolutely sure of any outcome until the very end, e.g. in sport, the winner may fail a dope test

以及
... See more
"It ain't over till it's over."

试译:“在结束之前就未结束。”或者“直到结束时才算结束”等各种版本。

解释:这句话在 Proz 上的英文说明中比较公认的解释是:

A common modern saying with many versions, and this one has been attributed to various people. Simply means that you can't be absolutely sure of any outcome until the very end, e.g. in sport, the winner may fail a dope test

以及

I agree with the previous comment and would add that it is precisely because you can't be sure of the outcome until the very end that all hope is not lost.

这里的英文解释是说,不到最后一刻,我们无法确定最终的结果。当然,这种解释是意味深长的,也是富有哲理的。

不过,我想从语言逻辑的角度对这句话做另一种解释:

这句话实际上采用了循环定义的手法,并没有提供任何信息。关于循环定义,请参考:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_definition

它就像“我是爸爸的儿子”之类的话,并没有提供任何新信息,属于永远都不会错的“废话”。
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well said Dec 1, 2012

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Indeed. Meanings that Yogi didn't intend for could very well be read into what he said by people afterwards.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
为什么你就那么肯定 encyclopedia 就是指 bicycles? Dec 1, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

It's definitely about bicycles

I don't know where that "cycloped" idea came from. I don't know how to demonstrate to you that it's about bikes, it's just something you know. I've heard jokes that riff on this idea (an uneducated person not knowing what an encyclopedia is and assuming it's a bike) a million times. It's one of those things that doesn't make much sense, but everyone knows it...
http://bikewalkweek.org/PDF/BWW2009.pdf
http://freshfrieda.com/2012/06/08/casual-cruising/

固然可以认为,'encyclopedia' sounds like something you could ride to school on,但你为什么就那么肯定它就是指 bicycles 呢?

让我们来看看在 Proz.com 的讨论中得到较多人支持的看法:
http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/source_notes/190/7
“He plays the ignorant, on purpose, of course, making use of 'cyclopedia' as if it were a vehicle.”
“I think it's a pun, not a malapropism. In my opinion it's also important that he used "walk" and not "go" ... so on foot vs. other means of transportation you can ride on.”
可见,这些人只是说,”as if it were a vehicle” 或 “other means of transportation you can ride on”,但并未肯定它就是指自行车。

此外,从你所举的第一个例子来看。在这个 Bike walk Week Report 的第一页上,明确地指出了这场活动的目的:The goal for this event is to get people out walking and biking instead of driving. 可见,walking and biking 是相对于 driving 而言的,也就是不乘校车、私家汽车、公共汽车或其它机动车辆。在特别引用 Yogi Berra 这句话的那一页上,又明确指出:Students and staff walked and rode their bikes to schools. 可见,在该报告作者的潜意识中,Yogi Berra 的 encyclopedia 并不包括 bicycles。否则,下面这句话岂非前后自相矛盾?
I'm not going to buy my kids a bicycle. Let them bike and walk to school like I did.
至于你所举的第二个例子 “I have a feeling that Yogi Berra may be in favor of transportation on a bike”,我只能说,那只是他个人的 feeling 而已,并不能作为什么事实依据。

当原文中某个词汇的含义比较笼统时,译者没必要也不应该在译文中加以明确。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
playing dumb Dec 4, 2012

西方幽默之處首先要懂得“自嘲”,Yogi Berra 就是在玩這個東西。非常同意“当原文中某个词汇的含义比较笼统时,译者没必要也不应该在译文中加以明确” 這個說法,因此,更無需把 Yogi 每一句說話,長篇累贅的用10篇文章去加以解釋、分析。當然 Yogi 會清楚明白 “encyclopedia” 是什麼意思,而推測 Yogi 把'encyclopedia' 說成是“sounds like something you could ride to school on” 就是在裝傻扮瘋,把'encyclopedia' 的音節倒過來,就 sounds like “pedal cycle”了,字形看來就是“單車、自行車”吧!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yogi Berra 猜想 Dec 4, 2012

翻译大赛变成了猜谜大赛。恐怕只有 Yogi Berra 自己才知道谜底。
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cyclo
Definition of CYCLO: a 3-wheeled often motor-driven taxi

Images of cyclo:
http://www.vietnamtravelforum.com/18111-unique-cyclo-vietnam.html

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
不要溺爱下一代 Dec 4, 2012

I'm not going to buy my kids a Mercedes Benz. Let them walk to school like I did.

See more
I'm not going to buy my kids a Mercedes Benz. Let them walk to school like I did.

http://q13fox.com/2012/11/19/report-chinese-student-charged-with-vehicular-homicide-in-king-county/

http://news.sinovision.net/portal.php?mod=view&aid=236040

[Edited at 2012-12-04 21:27 GMT]
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
試譯 Dec 4, 2012

我不會給孩子買輛四驅奔馳,讓他們如我一樣用兩足奔馳上學。

[Edited at 2012-12-04 21:26 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
riddle me this Dec 4, 2012

ysun wrote:

翻译大赛变成了猜谜大赛。恐怕只有 Yogi Berra 自己才知道谜底。

With all the overconfident people on this site, I bet you there are ones that will tell Yogi Berra his interpretations are wrong too.

I'm just joking ... I actually don't venture beyond the Chinese forum much.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
关于 encyclopedia 那句 Dec 5, 2012

看了前面几个新贴,现在我倒是更觉得关于 encyclopedia 那句是在用双关手法。

关于encyclopedia 一词,可参考:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopedia

其中,pedia 的意思是:儿童培养、教育的意思。而前面的 encyclo 与 cyclo或 Velocipede 等都有相似之处。因此,这里Yogi 可能想说,他不打算给孩子买辆单车,让孩子骑车去上学。结果,“一不小心”就成了 encyclopedia。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
套用句型 Dec 5, 2012

我上面那帖,纯粹是看新闻随感而发,毫无其它意思。当时的感触是:A millionaire bought his son a Mercedes Benz and let him drive to jail. 因此,套用了一下 Yogi Berra 的句型。那万里迢迢来美国上两年制社区学院的“留学生”,就那样夺走了一条鲜活的年轻生命。他不下大狱,谁下?

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
个人看法 Dec 5, 2012

ysun wrote:

我上面那帖,纯粹是看新闻随感而发,毫无其它意思。当时的感触是:A millionaire bought his son a Mercedes Benz and let him drive to jail. 因此,套用了一下 Yogi Berra 的句型。那万里迢迢来美国上两年制社区学院的“留学生”,就那样夺走了一条鲜活的年轻生命。他不下大狱,谁下?

我的确觉得这里有双关的意味

[Edited at 2012-12-06 10:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

本次翻译竞赛讨论

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »