Trados: Start a new paragraph (Excel file)
论题张贴者: Giulia Sandrin
Giulia Sandrin
Giulia Sandrin  Identity Verified
斯洛文尼亚
Local time: 23:26
Slovenian斯洛文尼亚语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
Sep 27, 2005

Hi all,
I’d need your help on the following technical issue (sorry if it has been already addressed in this forum).
I’m working with Trados 6.5 on an Excel file using Twindows. I don’t know how to start a new paragraph within the same segment.
I thought of using the ‘Copy source button’ to have all the paragraph beginnings displayed correctly in the target segment, but it doesn’t work. Pressing it just causes paragraph beginnings to be turned into a little square s
... See more
Hi all,
I’d need your help on the following technical issue (sorry if it has been already addressed in this forum).
I’m working with Trados 6.5 on an Excel file using Twindows. I don’t know how to start a new paragraph within the same segment.
I thought of using the ‘Copy source button’ to have all the paragraph beginnings displayed correctly in the target segment, but it doesn’t work. Pressing it just causes paragraph beginnings to be turned into a little square symbol.
Can you help?
Thank you very much in advance

Giulia
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
捷克共和国
English英语译成Czech捷克语
+ ...
Use TagEditor Sep 27, 2005

Use TagEditor instead of T-Window for Excel, it's much better.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 16:26
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
How do you insert a paragraph with Tag Editor? Sep 27, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Use TagEditor instead of T-Window for Excel, it's much better.

Hynek, Tag editor is based in a tag system. Do you know which is the required tag for inserting a paragraph?

Thanks

Clarisa

Hynek Palatin
捷克共和国
English英语译成Czech捷克语
+ ...
Line break in TagEditor Sep 27, 2005

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Hynek, Tag editor is based in a tag system. Do you know which is the required tag for inserting a paragraph?

Actually, it's a line break, not paragraph break. The tag is <br/>, but you won't have to enter it manually, because it will be present in the source segment.

You can also configure TagEditor to apply segmentation after a break tag (open Programs - Trados 7 Freelance - Filters - Filter Settings, go to Excel filter settings - Segmentation and check "Segment after break tags").

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 16:26
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Many thanks!!!! Sep 27, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Actually, it's a line break, not paragraph break. The tag is <br/>, but you won't have to enter it manually, because it will be present in the source segment.

You can also configure TagEditor to apply segmentation after a break tag (open Programs - Trados 7 Freelance - Filters - Filter Settings, go to Excel filter settings - Segmentation and check "Segment after break tags").

I greatly appreciate your help! It's very important to know it! Know I'll recognize the tag, and If I need it, I'll insert it.

Regards,

Clarisa

pcovs
pcovs
丹麦
English英语译成Danish丹麦语
I usually use Ctrl + Enter Sep 27, 2005

When in the target segment, I press Ctrl + Enter to jump one line down without making any breaks in the target segment.

I must admit that I haven't tried this in T-Windows for Excel, but I know it works in both TagEditor and when translating ordinary Word files, so...

)

Hynek Palatin
捷克共和国
English英语译成Czech捷克语
+ ...
Shortcuts Sep 27, 2005

PCovs wrote:

When in the target segment, I press Ctrl + Enter to jump one line down without making any breaks in the target segment.

I must admit that I haven't tried this in T-Windows for Excel, but I know it works in both TagEditor and when translating ordinary Word files, so...

)

Actually, Ctrl+Enter in Word inserts a page break. To insert a line break, you have to press Shift+Enter.

None of these shortcuts works in my TagEditor (version 6.5 or 7). According to Help, the shortcut for BR is Ctrl+6, but it inserts a different tag. I can insert BR by pressing Ctrl+9 in TagEditor 6.5. In TagEditor 7, it only moves cursor to the left. Great, another bug, as if there were not enough of them in TE7...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
德国
正式会员 (自2003)
Polish波兰语译成German德语
+ ...
W-Window does NOT reproduce line breaks within Excel cells Sep 27, 2005

If there are line breaks in Excel (placed with ALT+ENTER), they will be shown in the source text in T-Window and if you use the command "Paste source" it will be shown in T-Window.
But after saving the file the line breaks get LOST and are replaces by a small box.

If you will omit problems with translating Excel, use TAG Editor instead. It is possible since Trados 6.5.

Regards
Jerzy

pcovs
pcovs
丹麦
English英语译成Danish丹麦语
Oh, my mistake! Sep 28, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Actually, Ctrl+Enter in Word inserts a page break. To insert a line break, you have to press Shift+Enter.

I didn't have a page open, so I just tried to remember what I usually press to make a line shift.

Too bad this doesn't work in TagEditor.

Giulia Sandrin
Giulia Sandrin  Identity Verified
斯洛文尼亚
Slovenian斯洛文尼亚语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thanks Sep 28, 2005

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

bye
Giulia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Start a new paragraph (Excel file)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »