Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 25, 2021

Hello everyone

Does anyone know of an XLIFF editor, free and preferably simple, that will allow me to use find/replace on both source and target text? Not an online tool, please.

Thanks
Samuel

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso May 25, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

Does anyone know of an XLIFF editor, free and preferably simple, that will allow me to use find/replace on both source and target text? Not an online tool, please.

Thanks
Samuel

For the task that you want to perform, you can use CafeTran Espresso without a license. It offers case-adaptive F/R.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Notepad++ May 25, 2021

... but I think you already know that tool.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Matthias May 25, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Notepad++ ... but I think you already know that tool.

Yes, but Notepad++ does not prevent me from editing outside of the source or target fields (does it?). So, if I want to find ":" with "::", then Notepad++ will perform that operation also outside the source and target fields, thus breaking the XLIFF file.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans May 25, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:
For the task that you want to perform, you can use CafeTran Espresso without a license. It offers case-adaptive F/R.

It appears to work, thanks. The only thing it can't find/replace is a dollar sign. It can find a dollar sign, but none of my attempts to include a dollar sign in the find/replace operation worked.

Also, I've just learnt that (a) CafeTran works on the actual files in your folder, so you need to create a backup of your files first, and (b) CafeTran edits those files immediately, even if you don't select "Save", and (c) there is no Undo, so make sure you make a full backup of all your files before you do any find/replace operation.

Added: the only way I was able to find/replace a dollar sign was to enable regex and use \$.

[Edited at 2021-05-25 09:01 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
True May 25, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Also, I've just learnt that (a) CafeTran works on the actual files in your folder, so you need to create a backup of your files first, and (b) CafeTran edits those files immediately, even if you don't select "Save", and (c) there is no Undo, so make sure you make a full backup of all your files before you do any find/replace operation.

So true. I use Dropbox to have a versioning feature (all my CafeTran Espresso related files are in my Dropbox).

Added: the only way I was able to find/replace a dollar sign was to enable regex and use \$.

I was about to say that .

Grigori Gazarian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for free XLIFF editor with F/R and source editing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »