how to "translate" multiple "x's" across a field (obviously meaning non-applicable)
Thread poster: Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:07
English to French
+ ...
Aug 27, 2023

Translating an older paper version of a Belgian driver's licence into English.
On the page displaying the categories of vehicules for which the licence is valid, the fields for the categories that don't apply are filled with "x's", like so: xxxxxxxxx

I'm inclined to just write N/A, but for the sake of being a faithful and accurate translator, should I instead indicate in brackets something like [multiple "x's" across filed signifying non applicable]?

I know there
... See more
On the page displaying the categories of vehicules for which the licence is valid, the fields for the categories that don't apply are filled with "x's", like so: xxxxxxxxx

I'm inclined to just write N/A, but for the sake of being a faithful and accurate translator, should I instead indicate in brackets something like [multiple "x's" across filed signifying non applicable]?

I know there are no standard rules, technically, other than needing to be as accurate and faithful to the source language as possible.

experienced advisors welcome.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Aug 27, 2023

I’d do exactly as in the source document...

Thomas T. Frost
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
writeaway
Rachel Fell
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@maria teresa but is it not a "picture" Aug 27, 2023

makes sense, but aren't the "x's" types of symbols, therefore which should not be duplicated?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Aug 27, 2023

Do you care to explain why a symbol shouldn't be duplicated in this kind of documents?

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
writeaway
Philip Lees

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@maria teresa it's not a picture Aug 27, 2023

I just assumed that anything that wasn't a word was a type of symbol / picture which cannot be 'translated' should only be described as to not cross any "forgery looking" lines.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Aug 27, 2023

I’d say that’s taking the rule too far in my opinion. I’ve always replicated signs like xxxx, -----, ___, □, etc. without any problem…

Thomas T. Frost
writeaway
Maria Castro
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
'Not applicable' not the right translation anyway Aug 27, 2023

If a vehicle questionnaire requests the diameter of the steering wheel and the vehicle in question is a motorbike, the question is not applicable, which means 'not relevant'.

In the case of a driving licence, it is highly relevant to indicate that the licence is not valid for certain vehicle categories. 'Not applicable' does not mean the same as 'licence not valid for this category'.

expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@thomas Aug 27, 2023

Heya, thanks! You're absolutely right. Not valid is the appropriate word in this case.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Obviously ... ? Aug 27, 2023

Lisa Reutenauer wrote:
(obviously meaning non-applicable)

Those strings of X's do not mean 'not applicable', and your translation should not use that or any other 'translation'.
They are there only to fill the space on the licence with meaningless 'rubbish', to prevent an unscrupulous user from adding data suggesting they are qualified to drive vehicles for which they have not passed the appropriate test.
As we say in the trade, rubbish in, rubbish out!

Thomas T. Frost
Maria Castro
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@jennifer Aug 27, 2023

Yes, I got that non applicable is not the right term as Thomas was also pointing out in his post. So my real question is, if it's just filling material, what do I write in in my translation? The same filling material (x's) and specify in bracked that it's not valid? What would you do Jennifer?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Question already answered Aug 27, 2023

Lisa Reutenauer wrote:

So my real question is, if it's just filling material, what do I write in in my translation? The same filling material (x's) and specify in bracked that it's not valid? What would you do Jennifer?

Maria Teresa Borges already answered that question 14 minutes after your initial post, and so far, six translators have agreed with her. Why do you want to add anything in brackets that is not written in the original document? You can just copy the x's as they are. It is not necessary to explain to the reader in brackets that a string of x's is a string of x's. Most people can figure it out.

Bernhard Sulzer
Jennifer Levey
writeaway
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Ester Vidal

Lisa Reutenauer
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@thomas Aug 27, 2023

Ok, thanks for pointing it out. I didn't realize everyone had agreed with her (don't use this forum much). Explanatory comments kept coming so I kept thinking someone would have another practical suggestion. Thank you all, I'll just write as is.

Thomas T. Frost
Jennifer Levey

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to "translate" multiple "x's" across a field (obviously meaning non-applicable)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »