How to deal with foreign words/phrases to the language pair?
Thread poster: Menaouer Chaabi
Menaouer Chaabi
Menaouer Chaabi
Algeria
German to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 14, 2023

Hello everyone!

I was working on some texts of different specialized fields from German to Arabic,
and sometimes I do encounter a bunch of English words/phrases which aren't that
hard to grasp, in fact, most of the time authors just expect reader to know some basic
English to get going with their technical books for example...

So in case there is a third party language (English or any language) in the source text,
wha
... See more
Hello everyone!

I was working on some texts of different specialized fields from German to Arabic,
and sometimes I do encounter a bunch of English words/phrases which aren't that
hard to grasp, in fact, most of the time authors just expect reader to know some basic
English to get going with their technical books for example...

So in case there is a third party language (English or any language) in the source text,
what would be the most appropriate approach one can take, if it depends, then how?

P.S. any piece of theory in this regard is appreciated.
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:01
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Check it on a case-by-case basis Mar 15, 2023

In my opinion, you should try to understand in each separate case what is the most common way to say that term/phrase in your target language, whether it's a term/phrase in your target language itself or it is just left in English or other languages (just to make a silly example, music language in every natural language contains a lot of Italian words). In the Italian financial jargon, for example, a lot of words are just left in English, but you still need to be very careful when translating be... See more
In my opinion, you should try to understand in each separate case what is the most common way to say that term/phrase in your target language, whether it's a term/phrase in your target language itself or it is just left in English or other languages (just to make a silly example, music language in every natural language contains a lot of Italian words). In the Italian financial jargon, for example, a lot of words are just left in English, but you still need to be very careful when translating because you might end up leaving in English terms or phrases that do have a common translation into Italian. Hence, my advice is that you should check this on a case-by-case basis, using authoritative sources in your target language such as newspapers, magazines, academic papers, regulatory authorities' websites etc.Collapse

neilmac
Peter Dahm Robertson
Jennifer Levey
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sara Massons
Christine Andersen
Menaouer Chaabi

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends on the target audience Mar 17, 2023

If it is a court document that will be legalised with an apostille, I would leave them in the foreign language with a possible translation in-between brackets.

Anything else, I would translate if you are 99% sure.

Christine Andersen
Menaouer Chaabi

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Depends on the language Mar 17, 2023

I can't talk for all languages, but Germans, for example, have the tendency to translate everything (well, more then we Dutch anyway). So, when I see English words/terms in a German text, they are put there on purpose, and 'normally' I leave them untranslated.

Menaouer Chaabi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with foreign words/phrases to the language pair?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »