How should I write names like "George M. Michael, Ed.D." in a language which uses non latine script
Thread poster: Yibeltal
Yibeltal
Yibeltal  Identity Verified
Ethiopia
Local time: 01:17
English to Amharic
+ ...
Sep 25, 2012

Hello everybody,

I have to write a name with the title like Geralyn M. Jacobs, Ed.D., in Amharic. Amharic uses non latine scripts and the name and title should be written in Amharic. But how should I write the "Ed. D" and of course the "M." as well. I guess this elementary matter, but it is confusing me.

Looking forward to see your advise.

Thank you in advance

[Edited at 2012-09-25 16:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-09-25 16:56 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:17
Chinese to English
If you can localise, do Sep 25, 2012

If the name is a common one, there (like Michael or Jacobs in your made up examples), there is probably an existing standard transliteration into Amharic. For less common names, you might have to make one up. It might be helpful to put the English in brackets afterwards, in case a reader wants to look up the person.

I would definitely translate the title - it just means doctor of education, which should be easy enough to express, even if Amharic doesn't have a standard abbreviation
... See more
If the name is a common one, there (like Michael or Jacobs in your made up examples), there is probably an existing standard transliteration into Amharic. For less common names, you might have to make one up. It might be helpful to put the English in brackets afterwards, in case a reader wants to look up the person.

I would definitely translate the title - it just means doctor of education, which should be easy enough to express, even if Amharic doesn't have a standard abbreviation for it.

That's my general advice. But if your client has other ideas, then do whatever the client wants!
Collapse

Laura Coyt Zavala
Laura Coyt Zavala
United States
Local time: 18:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
best practice? Aug 25, 2023

I have a similar question. If the name is from an Amharic person, that has been translated into English, but now the English text needs to be translated into Amharic, do we translate the Amharic name back into Amharic from Latin English characters, or is it ok to leave it as is. The translation company says to leave it in Latin characters but if the reader is Amharic, why not translate it into Amharic?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I write names like "George M. Michael, Ed.D." in a language which uses non latine script

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »