Off topic: Can someone please verify a personal Irish (Gaelic) translation?
Thread poster: ITL Translation
ITL Translation
ITL Translation
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:13
Feb 2, 2023

Hi guys,
I'm not writing in my business capacity here.
Can anyone please confirm that this Irish paragraph:
"Go mbeannaí Dia daoibh agus go raibh míle maith agaibh as a bheith anseo ag ceiliúradh an phósta Declan agus Rose" translates to:
"Good afternoon everyone and thank you so much for being here today to celebrate the marriage of Declan and Rose." Need it for a thing. Well, a wedding.
Tia,
Jo

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:13
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Probably Feb 3, 2023

For starters, I don't speak Gealic, not a word, but if I google for "Go mbeannaí Dia daoibh", it seems to be Irish.

See for example: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go_mbeannaí_Dia_daoibh

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Feb 3, 2023

GT says that the first sentence is "God bless you" instead of "Good afternoon". Why don't you contact directly an Irish translator? There aren't many: See more
GT says that the first sentence is "God bless you" instead of "Good afternoon". Why don't you contact directly an Irish translator? There aren't many: https://www.proz.com/translator-directory/?sp=directory&mode=filter&from=gae&to=eng&type=na&skill_interpreting=Any&skill_subtitling=Any&field=&distance=50&location=&latitude=&longitude=&country=&pair_emphasis=8&native=&cred=na&software=na&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&avail=na&expertise=working&keyword=&keyword_cv_checkbox=on&wwa=na&complete_profile=na&profile_last_updated=any&posted_wiwo_within_days=&search_form_action=yCollapse

Caitriona O'Callanain
Caitriona O'Callanain
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
. Feb 3, 2023

I am a rusty Irish speaker but checked it with fluent family members to be sure. Although it translates as 'God bless', 'Dia daoibh' is a standard form of greeting in Irish.

Dia daoibh go léir agus go raibh mile maith agaibh as bheigh i láthair anseo cun posadh Declan agus Rose a ceiliúradh.

Caitriona O'Callanain
Caitriona O'Callanain
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
A few corrections Feb 3, 2023

I checked again and have a few corrections to make.

Dia dhaoibh go leir agus go raibh mile maith agaibh as bheith i láthair anseo can pósadh Declan agus Rose a ceiliúradh.

ITL Translation
ITL Translation
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Feb 3, 2023

That’s really helpful, Catriona.
Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone please verify a personal Irish (Gaelic) translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »