Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Local time: 17:29
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2022

I'm looking for experienced translators who translate German or Finnish legal/business/financial documents into English to give me feedback on my translations. I haven't yet started building my own client base, but have been translating for various agencies for over a year now and none of them provide real feedback. I even ask the project managers specifically for feedback from the reviewer, or to see any corrections made to my translations and most provide nothing at all, or just tell me my t... See more
I'm looking for experienced translators who translate German or Finnish legal/business/financial documents into English to give me feedback on my translations. I haven't yet started building my own client base, but have been translating for various agencies for over a year now and none of them provide real feedback. I even ask the project managers specifically for feedback from the reviewer, or to see any corrections made to my translations and most provide nothing at all, or just tell me my translation is fine, good, accepted, etc. Some have used me again, so I assume they thought my translation was ok. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I was a lawyer for 20 years before retiring and becoming a legal translator and I learned how to be a good lawyer by drafting documents and having a more experienced lawyer review and correct them. I would very much like to learn how to be a better translator by having someone experienced provide me with feedback. If there are any experienced translators out there in my language combinations who have overflow work I would love to prepare translations for you for a small fraction of my regular rate per word in exchange for feedback and corrections.Collapse

Ying-Ju Fang

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 00:29
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wrong section. Jun 23, 2022

I believe you should publish paying offers on the job section of the site or on the ProZ exchange board.

It sounds like you are looking for thorough review with precise feedback by an experienced translator. I doubt you will get that at “a fraction of the price”.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Alison Jenner

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feedback on translations Jun 23, 2022

If you want feedback on translations, you need to pay people. As you are a lawyer, this will most likely not break the bank.

expressisverbis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Editing. Jun 23, 2022

The type of task you refer to is called "editing" and I offer that service (not in your language pairs, though) for slightly less than 1/3 of my normal translation rate. Not sure if you would consider that as "a small fraction".

expressisverbis
Evandro Costa

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Level of feedback. Jun 23, 2022

I don't work in requested pairs either. But, if someone asked me for this service in my pair, I'd charge twice my translation rate.

This is education and tutoring, not just feedback (this is how I understood it from the OP) requesting thorough reviews with detailed feedback and precise explanations. It can go on endlessly, and if I am really thorough, the rate will be extremely high.

neilmac

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No news = Good news Jun 23, 2022

If the client is not satisfied with your work, they will be knocking on your door. If you don't hear anything, or they offer you a new job, you did OK.

Consider that as your feedback.

Lieven Malaise
Elena Feriani
Lingua 5B
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Giulia Marconi

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Really? Jun 23, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

I don't work in requested pairs either. But, if someone asked me for this service in my pair, I'd charge twice my translation rate.

This is education and tutoring, not just feedback (this is how I understood it from the OP) requesting thorough reviews with detailed feedback and precise explanations. It can go on endlessly, and if I am really thorough, the rate will be extremely high.

Giving feedback and pointing out corrections is standard editing practice and included in the rate. If they expect you to write a 4-page paper with detailed explanations it's no longer standard practice. But honestly, I think normal editing would be just fine here.

Lingua 5B
expressisverbis
MollyRose

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Staci Jun 23, 2022

First of all, I don’t work in the requested pairs. I do wonder why you are doubting your abilities? Why someone who was a lawyer for 20 years would need feedback? Don’t get me wrong I have been translating for over 30 years and some of my translations are revised by another translator before delivery as another pair of eyes is always useful. This is revision, not feedback…

Lingua 5B
Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
Barbara Cochran, MFA

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Actually. Jun 23, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Giving feedback and pointing out corrections is standard editing practice and included in the rate. If they expect you to write a 4-page paper with detailed explanations it's no longer standard practice. But honestly, I think normal editing would be just fine here.

Actually, I did have projects where 4 pages (and more) are requested, as well as all sorts of comparative analyses, etc. As I said, there are different levels, styles and uses of feedback. The price is adjusted accordingly. To me it appears the OP is looking for a detailed feedback, a tutor or a mentor, the way they described things. Perhaps they can use that ProZ section for mentorship exchange, I think something like that exists.

But I am not the right person for this topic, as I almost do not offer this type of service any more. Mostly because I am not ready to work at a "fraction of the cost".

Teresa Borges wrote:

First of all, I don’t work in the requested pairs. I do wonder why you are doubting your abilities? Why someone who was a lawyer for 20 years would need feedback? Don’t get me wrong I have been translating for over 30 years and some of my translations are revised by another translator before delivery as another pair of eyes is always useful. This is revision, not feedback…

I agree but... as far as I know, lawyers specialize and their daily work is quite generic and template based (eg. a divorce lawyer). As a translator, they may get anything in the very wide legal field. That's one reason. Another reason is that it appears the OP doubts their skills in the source languages. But generally, you are right. As an educated legal professional, they should know whether their translated legal document in their mother tongue has integrity, flows well and makes sense.

[Edited at 2022-06-23 08:34 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Revision club? Jun 23, 2022

Staci Burton wrote:

I'm looking for experienced translators who translate German or Finnish legal/business/financial documents into English to give me feedback on my translations. I haven't yet started building my own client base, but have been translating for various agencies for over a year now and none of them provide real feedback. I even ask the project managers specifically for feedback from the reviewer, or to see any corrections made to my translations and most provide nothing at all, or just tell me my translation is fine, good, accepted, etc. Some have used me again, so I assume they thought my translation was ok. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I was a lawyer for 20 years before retiring and becoming a legal translator and I learned how to be a good lawyer by drafting documents and having a more experienced lawyer review and correct them. I would very much like to learn how to be a better translator by having someone experienced provide me with feedback. If there are any experienced translators out there in my language combinations who have overflow work I would love to prepare translations for you for a small fraction of my regular rate per word in exchange for feedback and corrections.

Maybe what you are looking for is a type of 'revision club' arrangement where you and another translator mutually provide feedback for each other. If you have 20 years as a lawyer, I'm sure you have plenty to offer as well as whatever you feel you need to learn.

There is more information on this type of arrangement here:

https://www.iti.org.uk/resource/the-power-of-revision-clubs.html

Michele Fauble

Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Revision club Jun 23, 2022

Thank you! I didn't know about this. This is definitely what I'm looking for

Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback on translation Jun 23, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If the client is not satisfied with your work, they will be knocking on your door. If you don't hear anything, or they offer you a new job, you did OK.

Thank you for your reply. I'm new to this industry so I'm still learning how everything works. I really appreciate your advice.

Barbara Cochran, MFA

Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback on translations Jun 23, 2022

I believe some have misunderstood my post. I'm not asking for someone to review my own projects for very little compensation. (I would not ask someone to do that. Translators are underpaid as it is.) I was offering to do projects for someone else for very little compensation to me, in exchange for their feedback. Thank you to everyone who responded.

Rachel Waddington

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Staci Jun 23, 2022

Staci Burton wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I'm new to this industry so I'm still learning how everything works. I really appreciate your advice.

You might run into some exceptions. I for example have a client that rates my work! (I passed), but in general, this is it.

If you want to join the translation industry, this is what you can expect.

[Edited at 2022-06-23 17:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-23 17:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-23 17:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-23 17:18 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Staci Jun 23, 2022

That’s unrealistic. So someone would outsource to you, then have to write a thourough feedback back. That doesn’t provide any savings to them when it come to their time. They are busy with other things.

You may try the clubs someone mentioned, although I doubt it will be structured if it’s on voluntary basis.

Other than that, there are resources, webinars, etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on translations

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »