Автор темы: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
немецкий => голландский
Jan 11, 2012

Dear fellow Transit users,

For me Transit NXT is almost perfect as a CAT tool. At the moment I'm enjoying the near WYSWYG view and PDF view of a largish InDesign project. The ID filter (InDesign Gate) really is very good.

Al this good stuff makes one spoiled -- I know. Nevertheless, I'd like to articulate the mayor annoyances Transit NXT IMO still has. Hopefully they will be fixed in 2012 ...

1. The Rapid entry window cannot be closed after adding 1 term pa
... See more
Dear fellow Transit users,

For me Transit NXT is almost perfect as a CAT tool. At the moment I'm enjoying the near WYSWYG view and PDF view of a largish InDesign project. The ID filter (InDesign Gate) really is very good.

Al this good stuff makes one spoiled -- I know. Nevertheless, I'd like to articulate the mayor annoyances Transit NXT IMO still has. Hopefully they will be fixed in 2012 ...

1. The Rapid entry window cannot be closed after adding 1 term pair to the dictionary.

2. The Rapid entry window takes too much time to close. This one really costs me a lot of productivity.

3. After a certain time Transit doesn't accept output via the clipboard in the Rapid entry and Find/Replace dialog anymore. Transit has to be restarted.

4. After SP 4 auto-insertion of terms into the active segment or into the whole project has become unacceptable slow. An update to SP 5 is impossible for me therefore.

5. Regardless of the setting for case-sensitive term search, adding of a new term pair that only differs in case with an existing term pair in the database triggers an error message to remind you that the term pair already exists. This obviously is not true ...

Currently I'm planning to update my 2 year old iMac 27 to a new model with SSD. Does anyone know whether an SSD disk will increase the speed of MS SQL Express in general and of items 2 and 4 in particular?

Thanks for your input!

Hans

[Edited at 2012-01-11 12:11 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
немецкий => голландский
Автор темы
Possible work-around for Rapid entry dialog quirks Jan 18, 2012

I wrote:

1. The Rapid entry window cannot be closed after adding 1 term pair to the dictionary.

2. The Rapid entry window takes too much time to close. This one really costs me a lot of productivity.

After writing this, I wrote a macro to directly insert selections from the source and target window to the dictionary (see my posting about macros).

With this macro I can rapidly add new terms on the fly without calling the Rapid entry dialog. This means that I have found a nice work-around for the annoyances 1 and 2 described above.

But there is more!

When describing my 'Mayor annoyances with Transit NXT' I forgot to mention one (if not 'the') mayor annoyance with Transit NXT, MS SQL Express and the Rapid entry dialog:

When you add too many terms during a session or when you add them too fast, the SQL engine crashes. (This has been replicated on several different machines, with fresh configurations.)

After having used the work-around for term adding for several days now, I can confirm that I haven't experienced anymore MS SQL crashes (until now). So, obviously there is something severely wrong in the way the Rapid entry dialog and MS SQL Express work together.

BR,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
немецкий => голландский
Автор темы
Transit on an iMac with an SSD disk Jan 24, 2012

Currently I'm planning to update my 2 year old iMac 27 to a new model with SSD. Does anyone know whether an SSD disk will increase the speed of MS SQL Express in general and of items 2 and 4 in particular?

Yes it does, considerably!

Hans

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ирландия
Local time: 10:05
английский => галего
+ ...
Esc Mar 28, 2012

Hi,

Doesn't the Escape key work for you?

Cheers, Manuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoyances in Transit NXT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »