Borghildur Hjartardottir
Borghildur Hjartardottir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:33
Member (2009)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Apr 12, 2022

hi there, I am going to upgrade my laptop this year and have started to look for a new computer but find myself somewhat lost. I work on a laptop with 3 external screens/monitors and would like to continue with that setup as not only do I have a great workspace at home but the portability of the laptop allows me to work outside of my home office when needed. At the moment I have a Dell Inspiron computer. What computer do you have and would highly recommend? Are there any particular options/param... See more
hi there, I am going to upgrade my laptop this year and have started to look for a new computer but find myself somewhat lost. I work on a laptop with 3 external screens/monitors and would like to continue with that setup as not only do I have a great workspace at home but the portability of the laptop allows me to work outside of my home office when needed. At the moment I have a Dell Inspiron computer. What computer do you have and would highly recommend? Are there any particular options/parameters you consider a MUST or AVOID AT ALL COST? Thank you in advance for your input:)Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
English to French
+ ...
Multitask Apr 12, 2022

Since translators are multitaskers by nature some features are a must:
_Vast amount of RAM (I tend to recommend 16GB)
_CPU: higher core count better (Since there are a lot of changes going on with Win 11 and chips, I would suggest sticking to Intel for a year or two until the dust settles, that doesn't apply to Mac off-course).
_IO: you want proper ports: full-size HDMI (especially for your use case), USB 3
_Battery: if you don't want to plug often if you're frequently on
... See more
_CPU: higher core count better (Since there are a lot of changes going on with Win 11 and chips, I would suggest sticking to Intel for a year or two until the dust settles, that doesn't apply to Mac off-course).
_IO: you want proper ports: full-size HDMI (especially for your use case), USB 3
_Battery: if you don't want to plug often if you're frequently on the move, battery life will become important to you.
_Screen brightness: if you plan to translate in public transport, outdoor coffee tables etc. you will need a screen with high brightness.

Be well,

Philippe

[Edited at 2022-04-12 09:45 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

Borghildur Hjartardottir
Borghildur Hjartardottir  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 12, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

_Battery: if you don't want to plug often if you're frequently on the move, battery life will become important to you.
_Screen brightness: if you plan to translate in public transport, outdoor coffee tables etc. you will need a screen with high brightness.

Be well,

Philippe

[Edited at 2022-04-12 09:45 GMT]

Thank you very much Philippe for these precision which I will keep in mind when I go shopping

Philippe Locquet

Charles Peng
Charles Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:33
Member (2022)
English to Chinese
15 inch Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 Apr 12, 2022

I am using 13.5 inch Surface Laptop 4, and thought 15 inch Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 should be a good option. Rumour had it that the release date is second half of 2022.

Borghildur Hjartardottir

Kai Xue
Kai Xue
Australia
Local time: 21:33
I think Thinkpad X1 I7-16gb would be a good choice. Apr 15, 2022

Fast and bigger RAM is good for multitask and performance.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
PWM Apr 15, 2022

To add what the others have said, I suggest you to avoid screens that use PWM for brightness control. I also recommend you to read reviews from www.notebookcheck.net to make an informed decision before your purchase.

Kai Xue wrote:

I think Thinkpad X1 I7-16gb would be a good choice. Fast and bigger RAM is good for multitask and performance.

i7 processors aren't worth it if they have the same amount of cores as their i5 siblings. You'll be spending a lot more money for such a negligible (if any) increase in performance, which only would be noticeable in synthetic benchmarks anyway. But it's always good to see another man of culture.

[Edited at 2022-04-15 09:49 GMT]

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 is unbeatable Apr 15, 2022

I use the ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15, which in my opinion is the BEST laptop for translators, because it has 2 screens, which no other laptop on the market has as far as I know. It's great for content creators, translators, creatives, and travelling folks who need a second screen on the go.

A bit pricey, but worth every cent, and performance is also excellent.

Diana Montoya
Peter Racz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What computer to choose

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »