Advice sought for buying an internet-enabled mobile phone in India.
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 08:56
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 31, 2005

I understand if our mobile phone has GPRS and WAP technology, we can access internet on the same.

I'd like to seek advice from the persons using such phone before taking a decision to buy it.

Whether it is possible to access all websites on such mobile? Please note that I am talking about accessing internet on mobile itself and not on PC or laptop connected with the mobile. Whether small screen of the mobile poses some sort of problem in reading the data? Whether we
... See more
I understand if our mobile phone has GPRS and WAP technology, we can access internet on the same.

I'd like to seek advice from the persons using such phone before taking a decision to buy it.

Whether it is possible to access all websites on such mobile? Please note that I am talking about accessing internet on mobile itself and not on PC or laptop connected with the mobile. Whether small screen of the mobile poses some sort of problem in reading the data? Whether we can check our e-mails on Yahoo?

Whether it is possible to download and read the files sent as attachments with the e-mails?

Which in your opinion is the best phone (make and model) for accessing internet?

Secondly, which is the most effective and economical internet service provider for such mobile phone in India? Whether we are charged for the time we surf the net or whether there are some flat monthly charges, irrespective of the time taken by us for surfing?

Thanks in anticipation.
Collapse

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
internet enabled mobile phone Jun 2, 2005

Since none replied so far, here are my views once again.

You cannot access all websites. You can access only those websites which are developed for WAP. However, almost all major websites are wap-enabled. Yes, the small screen is a problem, however, the wap sites are designed considering this aspect, and therefore, are quite satisfactory. Yes, we can check our Yahoo mails.

To read the attachments, you should go for Blackberry from Airtel and similar from others. You ca
... See more

You cannot access all websites. You can access only those websites which are developed for WAP. However, almost all major websites are wap-enabled. Yes, the small screen is a problem, however, the wap sites are designed considering this aspect, and therefore, are quite satisfactory. Yes, we can check our Yahoo mails.

To read the attachments, you should go for Blackberry from Airtel and similar from others. You can see Word, Excel files and can receive and send mails. This has a full fledged keyboard.

There are various plans for internet. Idea charges Rs. 500 for a month of unlimited access or 2 paise per kb of download.

Best bet is go to a showroom and they will be able to give you a demo of all that is available.

And, don't forget RIM. They have all India access of all features. Other's don't offer GPRS etc. out of their Home network.

Anil

langclinic wrote:

Whether it is possible to access all websites on such mobile? Please note that I am talking about accessing internet on mobile itself and not on PC or laptop connected with the mobile. Whether small screen of the mobile poses some sort of problem in reading the data? Whether we can check our e-mails on Yahoo?

Whether it is possible to download and read the files sent as attachments with the e-mails?

Which in your opinion is the best phone (make and model) for accessing internet?

Secondly, which is the most effective and economical internet service provider for such mobile phone in India? Whether we are charged for the time we surf the net or whether there are some flat monthly charges, irrespective of the time taken by us for surfing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Anil Jun 2, 2005

Thanks so much for your detailed and informative reply.

[quote]Anil Goyal wrote:

To read the attachments, you should go for Blackberry from Airtel and similar from others. You can see Word, Excel files and can receive and send mails. This has a full fledged keyboard.

There are various plans for internet. Idea charges Rs. 500 for a month of unlimited access or 2 paise per kb of download.

Best bet is go to a showroom and they will be able to give you a demo of all that is available.

And, don't forget RIM. They have all India access of all features. Other's don't offer GPRS etc. out of their Home network.

Anil[quote]

[Edited at 2005-06-03 01:57]

[Edited at 2005-06-03 01:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice sought for buying an internet-enabled mobile phone in India.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »