Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Need suggestions of Sony Vaio or Asus laptop!
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 30, 2014

I like Sonys a lot, this 17 inch is my first one, but a few people have said that the keyboard isnt very good if you have to do lots of typing- what do you say?

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:47
Member (2008)
English to French
Asus all the way Jan 31, 2014

I always end up killing my laptops one way or another since I'm on them 12-16 hours a day, whether working, browsing as I watch TV or playing an MMORPG, but when my last Asus died (I'm on my 2nd one) after 3 years, I felt I'd definitely gotten my money's worth.

Meanwhile, the one Sony Vaio I bought (i5) lasted 3 months before dying, had to send it in to get fixed, then it died again a month later, rinse and repeat it through 3 rounds of repairs and I gave up on it and it is now an
... See more
I always end up killing my laptops one way or another since I'm on them 12-16 hours a day, whether working, browsing as I watch TV or playing an MMORPG, but when my last Asus died (I'm on my 2nd one) after 3 years, I felt I'd definitely gotten my money's worth.

Meanwhile, the one Sony Vaio I bought (i5) lasted 3 months before dying, had to send it in to get fixed, then it died again a month later, rinse and repeat it through 3 rounds of repairs and I gave up on it and it is now an expensive paperweight for which I only got a few month's use out of.

Double bonus for Asus is that it has a worldwide warranty which is a plus is you work & travel or buy your electronics in a foreign country... the first time the Vaio died I was in Malaysia on my way to Cambodia with a large project on the desk, I ended up renting a laptop and getting a friend to set up a virtual link to my desktop computer so I could access my files & my CAT tools! (another shoutout for dropbox that syncs all my files so I didn't lose any of the work done on the vaio).
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 31, 2014

Arianne Farah wrote:

Meanwhile, the one Sony Vaio I bought (i5) lasted 3 months before dying, had to send it in to get fixed, then it died again a month later, rinse and repeat it through 3 rounds of repairs and I gave up on it and it is now an expensive paperweight for which I only got a few month's use out of.

Double bonus for Asus is that it has a worldwide warranty which is a plus is you work & travel or buy your electronics in a foreign country... the first time the Vaio died I was in Malaysia on my way to Cambodia with a large project on the desk, I ended up renting a laptop and getting a friend to set up a virtual link to my desktop computer so I could access my files & my CAT tools! (another shoutout for dropbox that syncs all my files so I didn't lose any of the work done on the vaio).

I am looking at either the Asus Z96Jm or Asus K52N

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
Finnish to French
Not a good idea Jan 31, 2014

Arianne Farah wrote:
I always end up killing my laptops one way or another since I'm on them 12-16 hours a day, whether working, browsing as I watch TV or playing an MMORPG,

There is mounting evidence sitting for that long every day is not a good idea, no matter how good your Asus is:

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490/sitting-all-day-worse-for-you-than-you-might-think

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/sitting-standing-walking-work

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Feb 17, 2014

Well its definitely going to be an Asus, but the one I was after got away, so going to have to wait now till I have enough money to go ahead and buy the one I want.

MamaG
MamaG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:47
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
We like Sony Vaios a lot, but are going for an ASUS this time. Mar 13, 2014

We have had Sony Vaios in the family for some years now, and outside of a wiggly power jack (easily cemented by companies that specialize, and will keep the units going for quite awhile more - it is the one weak point of a Sony Vaio, IMO), we have been very pleased with their reliability and performance. They have kept going long after most laptops/notebooks would normally have died. At least in our family. We also use them for office work + online gaming! They are, in the main, if you want a de... See more
We have had Sony Vaios in the family for some years now, and outside of a wiggly power jack (easily cemented by companies that specialize, and will keep the units going for quite awhile more - it is the one weak point of a Sony Vaio, IMO), we have been very pleased with their reliability and performance. They have kept going long after most laptops/notebooks would normally have died. At least in our family. We also use them for office work + online gaming! They are, in the main, if you want a decent-sized screen, too large to just tote around everywhere. We found we used ours mainly as desktops. They were not very portable. I cannot complain about their reliability, though. I have heard complaints about the battery life, but we always run them off of AC power, so cannot speak to that issue. The one problem WE had was with the voice recognition. The Vaios are very noisy, IMO, and generated spurious text when dictating, to the extent that I stopped using VR at all with Sony Vaios. I wanted to go back to using VR. So our next one is going to be an especially silent config w/ an ASUS desktop, and for work "on the go", we will just use an e-machine. 99.99999% of my work is just sitting at my desk for long hours, however, nd I generally do not like working away from my desk. So mobility is not something we consider. I'll let you know how we like the new ASUS when I get it set up!Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty/Poster asked for deletion
Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
"Need suggestions of Sony Vaio or Asus laptop!" Mar 13, 2014

I appreciate all the new suggestions and I have decided on Asus, although the ones previously mentioned I was not able to purchase.

I have seen some nice reasonable 13" Asus ultralight laptop with 8gb of ram.
But unfortunately funds are short at the moment.
But please keep providing information as I intend to purchase over the next 4/4 months.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Laptop advice needed May 28, 2014

I finally got an Asus A54C laptop with 6gb of ram and 320gb Hard drive with I3 processoer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need suggestions of Sony Vaio or Asus laptop!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »