Germany
Local time: 21:52
English to German
+ ...
Version 2.05 or 2.5 ??? Oct 29, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Once installed...

Hi Drew,

after installing the software, a colleage found out that it is version 2.05, and not 2.5.
Is it a promise not kept or just a misunderstanding?

Thanks, Aniello

nl-en
nl-en
Dutch to English
Version 2.05 or version 2.5? Oct 30, 2009

How do you alienate a large sector of the entire translation industry?

First you promise them something for free.
Then you avoid the question when asked where it is.
Then you say hang on a while guys, it's even better... you are getting the latest version (2.5).
Then you remain silent again for weeks.
Then you mail through a link to download VERSION 2.5.
After a 400 MB download, they find that you have given them version 2.05, but have nevertheless anno
... See more

Then you say hang on a while guys, it's even better... you are getting the latest version (2.5).
Then you remain silent again for weeks.
After a 400 MB download, they find that you have given them version 2.05, but have nevertheless announced that version 2.5 is available.
Oh and be sure to delay sending the activiation certificate.

Helloooo Wordfast!
Collapse

Marcelina Haftka
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Activation done Oct 30, 2009

I downloaded the file (although it lasted a while) yesterday, installed it a couple of hours ago and sent e-mail. I got my activation certificate almost straight away.
Now it's time to see the baby...

Cuneyt Arslan
Cuneyt Arslan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
smooth operation Oct 30, 2009

I've downloaded the zipped program from one of those Asian ftp sites, the other day, without any problem (a rather slow site, I must say). Later, I unzipped and installed the program. Today, I requested the certificate from the A.P. (as explained) through e-mail. They replied in about half an hour (nice job!) and I activated the program. By the way, it is version 2.05 (it makes no difference for me though, it is a free software after all !)...

Thank you very much Alchemy !

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further clarification Oct 30, 2009

I don’t quite know how free software is alienating.

I personally responded honestly and promptly to this thread and a few others detailing that the process would take a little bit of time and included dates and details when possible. At no point did Alchemy or ProZ.com commit to a specific release date, or ignore any requests for information

After a 400 MB download, they find that you have given them version 2.05, but have nevertheless announced that version 2.5 is available.

I contacted the Alchemy team about this issue and this their response
There was some confusion with regard to the product name/ version number.

Please be assured that you have each been given the very latest version of Alchemy Publisher.

The Development build number is 2.05. But in terms of product management and life cycle, it is the 2.5 release of Alchemy Publisher.

Apologies for any confusion here, the next release of Alchemy Publisher will be Alchemy Publisher 3.0, and will be released some time in 2010

Oh and be sure to delay sending the activation certificate.

Alchemy is an Ireland based company, I sent my activation email at GMT 10 PM after their business closed for the day and received a reply first thing the next morning. Others have reported receiving the reply within minutes. Keep in mind that this is a human process and due to the high number of activation requests, (3,000) some delay is normal.

Thanks again to everyone that participated in the virtual conference and the giveaways and thanks to Alchemy for making this software offer available.

Regards,

Drew

Freeman Weems
Freeman Weems  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
Chinese to English
Publisher install on a machine already running Across Oct 30, 2009

I downloaded Alchemy Publisher via the link they sent out. The download was very quick and without complication. The installation was a bit intimidating, but by reading the directions carefully was also accomplished without incident.

Across is already up and running on my system. The two programs are both running fine on my machine, no conflict, and the SQL databases work fine if configured properly. You do not want Publisher storing information in the Across account. If this is th
... See more
I downloaded Alchemy Publisher via the link they sent out. The download was very quick and without complication. The installation was a bit intimidating, but by reading the directions carefully was also accomplished without incident.

Across is already up and running on my system. The two programs are both running fine on my machine, no conflict, and the SQL databases work fine if configured properly. You do not want Publisher storing information in the Across account. If this is the case for you, be sure that you follow the directions to the letter when installing Publisher. Across installs SQL, but not SQL Mangement Studio Express. So you have to install this before the Publisher advanced TM can work. This will make a new SQL logon account for Publisher to use, and (at least in my case) does not interfere with the operation of Across.

One issue that caused me a bit of confusion was how to direct Publisher to the correct SQL logon path. The install directions stated that it should be "your computer name/the SQL incidence". This did not work for me (Vista). However, the solution was to choose "(local)" as the logon path. Once that was solved everthing worked beautifully.

As Drew stated, choose step 1 when first starting Publisher. This will send an email to Alchemy requesting the product license. I sent my request around 11 at night (US Central Time) and had the license the next morning. Save it on your desktop, start up Publisher, choose step 2, and browse to the license stored on your desktop. Publisher will activate and then delete the license. It is intended for one use only. Alchemy has done a good job to ensure that thier software is used legally. Please repect this and do not pirate the program.

Freeman Weems
Chinese English Translation
1202, 99 N Main
Memphis, TN 38103

[Edited at 2009-10-30 21:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-30 22:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-30 22:03 GMT]
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 20:52
English
Clarification Nov 4, 2009

We would like to clarify 2 points:

Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5
Some client are seeking clarification on the version number of Alchemy PUBLISHER they are downloading. 2.05 and 2.5 have been used on several occasions when referring to this product. 2.05 is the internal engineering build number, whereas 2.5 is the product marketing version of the same product. The release of Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 contains many enhancements and a
... See more
We would like to clarify 2 points:

Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5
Some client are seeking clarification on the version number of Alchemy PUBLISHER they are downloading. 2.05 and 2.5 have been used on several occasions when referring to this product. 2.05 is the internal engineering build number, whereas 2.5 is the product marketing version of the same product. The release of Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 contains many enhancements and additions for translating Adobe Framemaker, Indesign and MS Word document types and we are delighted to make this available to our clients that visited our stand at the inaugural PROZ.COM virtual conference.

Download Size
There are two options for downloading Alchemy Publisher.
• There is a mini-installer (40MB) that installs the Alchemy Publisher application itself which includes a file-based local TM. This can be accessed on our European FTP servers or US/Asian FTP servers.
• As an alternative, there is a larger installer (400MB) which includes a copy of MS SQL Express. In addition to Alchemy Publisher and the file based TM that the mini-installer offers, this larger install includes an SQL Server based TM called Language Exchange Express. Installation of this local TM requires an install of SQL Server Express and so is a much larger download. It is not an essential part of the product but is offered as an optional extra for those who wish to centralise all local TM content into a single large database.

Kind regards,
The Alchemy Support Team
Collapse

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:52
English to Portuguese
ALCHEMY 2.05 (OR 2.5) Nov 6, 2009

"As Drew stated, choose step 1 when first starting Publisher. This will send an email to Alchemy requesting the product license. I sent my request around 11 at night (US Central Time) and had the license the next morning. Save it on your desktop, start up Publisher, choose step 2, and browse to the license stored on your desktop. Publisher will activate and then delete the license. It is intended for one use only. Alchemy has done a good job to ensure that thier software is used legally. Please ... See more
"As Drew stated, choose step 1 when first starting Publisher. This will send an email to Alchemy requesting the product license. I sent my request around 11 at night (US Central Time) and had the license the next morning. Save it on your desktop, start up Publisher, choose step 2, and browse to the license stored on your desktop. Publisher will activate and then delete the license. It is intended for one use only. Alchemy has done a good job to ensure that thier software is used legally. Please repect this and do not pirate the program."

Does that means that, if for some reason I have to format my HD, I will not be able to re-install it?
Collapse

Freeman Weems
Freeman Weems  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
Chinese to English
Reply to Walter Nov 9, 2009

There was specific reference to this type of situation in the instructions. If you want to move Publisher to another computer, install or wipe out your HD, etc...and need to reinstall Publisher, then you should contact Alchemy.

I do not think this is unusual at all, they just want to control software piracy. Windows does the same thing. If you buy a new computer or HD, just call them up and explain the situation. I have faith that a reasonable solution to legitimate issues will be o
... See more
There was specific reference to this type of situation in the instructions. If you want to move Publisher to another computer, install or wipe out your HD, etc...and need to reinstall Publisher, then you should contact Alchemy.

I do not think this is unusual at all, they just want to control software piracy. Windows does the same thing. If you buy a new computer or HD, just call them up and explain the situation. I have faith that a reasonable solution to legitimate issues will be offered.
Collapse

Wiwit Tabah Santoso
Wiwit Tabah Santoso  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No email received Nov 10, 2009

It's great that may attendants have received a notification from Alchemy. However, I did not receive it yet. Is it still possible for me to get this applicateion for free?
I attended this conference and received a "Thank You from Alchemy ..." email.
Thanks.

PROF.CHIARA
PROF.CHIARA
French to Italian
+ ...
I have not received the copy of the programm, how can I do? Nov 18, 2009

sorry, but how can I do for receiving the copy? I am registered during the conference but I have not received the email with the link!

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alchemy software for those that visited the Alchemy booth Nov 18, 2009

The software offer was available for those attendees that visited Alchemy's booth during the virtual conference. Some attendees may have received the thank you email which was sent to all conference attendees on Alchemy's behalf (as a sponsor benefit). In order to have received the software one needed to have visited the Alchemy booth during the conference.

If you feel you visited Alchemy's booth and did not receive the software download email please feel free to add your name to
... See more
The software offer was available for those attendees that visited Alchemy's booth during the virtual conference. Some attendees may have received the thank you email which was sent to all conference attendees on Alchemy's behalf (as a sponsor benefit). In order to have received the software one needed to have visited the Alchemy booth during the conference.

If you feel you visited Alchemy's booth and did not receive the software download email please feel free to add your name to this thread and we can check the records and verify and have the download email sent directly to those users.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Links to download the FREE Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 software Nov 19, 2009

Hi All,

I am including the links to download the FREE Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 software below.

Members in Europe should use this link fttp://proz:[email protected]/PublisherProz_Install2524.zip

Members in Asia sho
... See more
Hi All,

I am including the links to download the FREE Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 software below.

Members in Europe should use this link fttp://proz:[email protected]/PublisherProz_Install2524.zip

Members in Asia should use http://www.translations.com/download/alchemy/PublisherProz_Install2524.zip

Please note that these links will allow you to download the software, but in order to activate the license you will be prompted to send an email to the Alchemy team. Remember that the Alchemy team will be activating only the licenses for those that have visited their booth during the First ProZ.com Virtual Conference on September 30th.

Thanks,
Romina
Collapse

Becky Blackley
Becky Blackley  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
I have not received the Alchemy download e-mail Nov 25, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

If you feel you visited Alchemy's booth and did not receive the software download email please feel free to add your name to this thread and we can check the records and verify and have the download email sent directly to those users.

Regards,

Drew

Hi, Drew.

I have never received an e-mail for the free version of Alchemy.

I have a screen shot from the virtual conference that says, "You have registered successfully for give-away."

Since the conference, I have received several promotional e-mails from Alchemy, including one today. They haven't gone into my junk mail folder, and I check my junk mail regularly. So I don't think I've missed the e-mail.

Will you please check the records and have the download e-mail sent to me?

Thanks!

Becky

Sylvie Eschkotte (X)
Sylvie Eschkotte (X)
Germany
German to French
Thank you! Nov 26, 2009

Sylvie

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FREE Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 - for attendees at Virtual Conference

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »