Inițiatorul discuției: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 22:53
din italiană în engleză
+ ...
Mar 29, 2006

I found this on the Hp site. Some tips on how to use a computer in a safe and comfortable way, bad habits to avoid and things like that. Looks like there are several language versions too. http://www.hp.com/ergo/

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germania
suedeză
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Mar 29, 2006

Thanks a lot for this link!
At last a document which underlines the ergonomical part of computer usage. This should be compulsory literature for all translators who spend several hours a day in front of the screen.

Kind regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 -
... See more
Thanks a lot for this link!
At last a document which underlines the ergonomical part of computer usage. This should be compulsory literature for all translators who spend several hours a day in front of the screen.

Kind regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
Thanks Jo! Mar 29, 2006

Wow... so complete and in so many languages! Kudoz to HP!

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
Franţa
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
translator's cramp... Mar 30, 2006

Thank you Jo, for this timely help - albeit belated, as far as I am concerned

I have just finished a long, tedious and urgent translation which drove me mad for 5 days and sometimes night. Delivered late last night and met the deadline.

The trouble is that for the past two days I have had unbearable pain in my right hand wrist and right up my
arm. so, I gather, I have to do something about a more c
... See more
Thank you Jo, for this timely help - albeit belated, as far as I am concerned

I have just finished a long, tedious and urgent translation which drove me mad for 5 days and sometimes night. Delivered late last night and met the deadline.

The trouble is that for the past two days I have had unbearable pain in my right hand wrist and right up my
arm. so, I gather, I have to do something about a more comfortable environment and better computing habits. This is when your file will be a godsend, Jo.

Ran to the chemist's to get an ointment, but the only relief I could get was to put on one mitten, leaving the tips of the fingers free and keeping my cold hand warm, or else bathe my arm in very warm water for 10 minutes.

Unfortunately I have 3000 words to do now, but it is less urgent. I wish I could give that arm a good rest for two or three days.

Has anybody else experienced this and found some sort of magic treatment? How long will it last?

All help will be welcome.

[Edited at 2006-03-30 10:22]

[Edited at 2006-03-30 10:23]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Letonia
Local time: 23:53
Membru (2003)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
I have it more or less prmanent Mar 30, 2006

it doesn't go away, at least completely, I have tried everything possible.

The one thing doctor told me there's no much sense to treat the wrist (my pain travels between the wrist and elbow, depends on Moon phase, tide or whatever ), as the nerve responsible begins in shoulder-blade and has some sensitive point or like somewhere in the biceps. Using elastic band on biceps has given me some relief in worst moments.

HTH some,

Uldis

Claudette Hepburn wrote:
Has anybody else experienced this and found some sort of magic treatment? How long will it last?

All help will be welcome.

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
Franţa
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
biceps vs triceps Mar 30, 2006

Not good news then. I'll go and see my French doctor and see if he comes up with an idea.

My problem in the upper arm is a pain in the triceps not the biceps. I even had very briefly the trivial thought that it might get that triceps to work and firm up...

The final remedy might be to do away with keyboard and mouse and use a voice sensitive system with electronic pens.

But, first, I will make sure my chair and posture are adapted to the job.

T
... See more
Not good news then. I'll go and see my French doctor and see if he comes up with an idea.

My problem in the upper arm is a pain in the triceps not the biceps. I even had very briefly the trivial thought that it might get that triceps to work and firm up...

The final remedy might be to do away with keyboard and mouse and use a voice sensitive system with electronic pens.

But, first, I will make sure my chair and posture are adapted to the job.

Take heart!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Safety & Comfort Guide

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »