José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 1, 2008

So far, the only payment method directly accessible on a Proz profile is PayPal. Each of the available payment methods has some limitations regarding different countries. In some places they work, in others it's difficult, expensive, or impossible to receive/send money.

My suggestion is to add a group where the translator/outsourcer can indicate their acceptable means for receiving payments. Sometimes a client in goodwill may be prevented from paying a translator because of restrict
... See more
So far, the only payment method directly accessible on a Proz profile is PayPal. Each of the available payment methods has some limitations regarding different countries. In some places they work, in others it's difficult, expensive, or impossible to receive/send money.

My suggestion is to add a group where the translator/outsourcer can indicate their acceptable means for receiving payments. Sometimes a client in goodwill may be prevented from paying a translator because of restrictions in the latter's country.

I'd add checkboxes for the most popular ones, such as:
- PayPal (maybe automatically checked by having entered an e-mail in the proper existing field)
- Moneybookers
- Ikobo
- Moneygram
- Western Union
- Xoom
- ... (maybe colleagues have some more to add)

I'd also add two multiple-choice-enabled (ctrl+click) drop-down country lists for:
- Domestic wire transfer to [countries]
- International wire transfer to [countries]

One more multiple-choice-enabled drop down list for credit cards:
- Visa
- MasterCard
- American Express
- (any other suggestion?)

And finally a text field for "Other".

There is no need for Proz to automate linking to these like it's done for PayPal, however it will help clients to get ready before payday.

[Edited at 2008-02-01 10:23]
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good idea Feb 1, 2008

Gets my vote

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:49
English to French
+ ...
+ 1 Feb 2, 2008

Good idea!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Options for showing your accepted payment methods Feb 5, 2008

Hello José, and thanks for bringing this up.

Currently you can show direct links to both Paypal and Moneybookers from your profile. Both can be added or edited from the "Contact" tab.

As the other options you mention would not be active links to the payment option, it may be most convenient to dedicate a portion of your "About me" section to defining or specifying the payment methods you accept. This may allow for a greater degree of customization for these payment op
... See more
Hello José, and thanks for bringing this up.

Currently you can show direct links to both Paypal and Moneybookers from your profile. Both can be added or edited from the "Contact" tab.

As the other options you mention would not be active links to the payment option, it may be most convenient to dedicate a portion of your "About me" section to defining or specifying the payment methods you accept. This may allow for a greater degree of customization for these payment options which would take place completely outside of your profile.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
An enhancement to PayPal Feb 5, 2008

Hello, Jared,

Jared Tabor wrote:

Yes, I knew that. The reason my Moneybookers is not checked is that it won't work for me in Brazil.

Jared Tabor wrote:
As the other options you mention would not be active links to the payment option, it may be most convenient to dedicate a portion of your "About me" section to defining or specifying the payment methods you accept. This may allow for a greater degree of customization for these payment options which would take place completely outside of your profile.

Of course there are many places where I could put payment methods in my profile. The whole idea is to have them neatly indicated in every bid placed through the Proz system. Some outsourcers simply don't use one or another payment system for their own reasons, and there isn't much use for them in hiring a translator who can only get paid throught these; it will just be an invitation to trouble.

The core functions of Proz address the beginning and the end of a translation transaction. First, to make contact between client/outsourcer and an adequate translator for the job they have. Last, to give the translator some information on the likelihood of getting paid for that job. The latter one justifies the existence of the Blue Board, and its exclusivity to paying members as a valuable service. All the other Proz features gravitate around these two.

So it would be useful information for both ends. Meanwhile, if any of these payment systems would like to "sponsor" linking the corresponding icon to their web sites, I think Proz could benefit from the advertising money received.

SilviuM
SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 03:49
Romanian to English
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 16, 2008

I would suggest AlertPay to enter the club TOO.

[Editat la 2008-06-16 22:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Various Payment Methods on profile

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »